The Student Room Group

Could I/Should I Transfer University After My Foundation Year If I Do Well?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
This will sound stupid, but...

I have just started the second semester of my foundation year at university. My time so far has been okay, but I wouldn't say I enjoy studying at Loughborough university nor do I hate it its just an awkward gray region between. Im a bit cautious about studying physics in the main degree and do not really have high hopes for it. Any interactions with the physics department I have had so far have left me disappointed. On a foundation year we spend time in all the departments of science and physics stands out as the least helpful and generally, the least in every aspect. I've considered changing course to another department but I doubt I'd really enjoy it as much as I enjoy learning about physics.

This has caused me to keep contemplating changing university to one which has a better physics department. And now Its much worse after my results came in.

My results have just come in and I did much better than expected. I needed 70% in my mathematics and physics and an average of 60% module for progression into the first year of physics (which you would need AAB for).

Having come from a poor A-level background with bad grades (The link in my signature shows how poor they were). I worked really hard this year and its paid off as I got 98% in my mathematics exam, 93% in my physics exam, 95% in my physics lab's, 89% in my engineering exam and so on. I only didnt do well in chemistry as I had not done this since GCSE so I got 75% in that module, overall I have an average just below 90%. I know you might point out that its only a foundation year but I didn't enter with A grades, not even close. Some students did enter with A grades and I still seem to score higher.

I really want to study somewhere that has a better physics and astrophysics department but Loughborough doesn't feel like the best place for me to study and reach my best potential.

Is it possible to transfer to an even better university from a foundation year given that your results are good? If so how would I go out about it? I was thinking of applying in the next cycle so I do my first year here then transfer to year 2 or year 1 depending on what the universities say.

Also, is there a limit to how good of a university I can apply to with my results on a foundation?

You can! I was doing a Computing & Maths foundation year at Kingston University this year and I got an offer from both Sussex and Brookes, I had terrible A-Levels, I got DDE. Sussex wanted a pass of at least 60% average and today I passed with 67% overall so it's just a matter of getting the official certificate now.
Original post by hass147
You can! I was doing a Computing & Maths foundation year at Kingston University this year and I got an offer from both Sussex and Brookes, I had terrible A-Levels, I got DDE. Sussex wanted a pass of at least 60% average and today I passed with 67% overall so it's just a matter of getting the official certificate now.

Thats good to hear :smile: I applied to the sussex foundation year but went Loughborough instead.

In the end I got accepted into Durham with my foundation year.
Original post by hass147

Hey I am starting this course right now and I was wondering if I could transfer to any university with a pass in this course, well depending on my pass rate. Also, what course did you take up at Sussex and what modules did you do after the first semester?
Reply 23
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Thats good to hear :smile: I applied to the sussex foundation year but went Loughborough instead.

In the end I got accepted into Durham with my foundation year.

wow so are you at Durham now? thats great what was there pass rate?
Reply 24
Hey im in the same boat i've just started my foundation year n just really want to move. How hard or easy is it to get an offer from other unis to get an offer into the first year?
Original post by swert
wow so are you at Durham now? thats great what was there pass rate?

No idea, quite a few people had to resit exams.
Reply 26
Original post by blues_chelseafc8
Hey I am starting this course right now and I was wondering if I could transfer to any university with a pass in this course, well depending on my pass rate. Also, what course did you take up at Sussex and what modules did you do after the first semester?

Check the PM reply dude. I have so much to say about it because I was in the exact same position as you are. Simple answer is yes and I'm now at Sussex studying Computer Science.

But also bro, going to Kingston College is just as much a challenge to your life mentally as anything else. It's such a poor place to be spending a year in and you really have to keep your own morale high to be honest. The course isn't hard but that's only the case if you don't be an idiot and stupidly miss out on coursework deadlines and exam schedules.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by fuze-mo25
Hey im in the same boat i've just started my foundation year n just really want to move. How hard or easy is it to get an offer from other unis to get an offer into the first year?

Depends on what FD year you're doing but it's usually a fair bit easier than the direct A Level route. I did a Computing & Maths one at Kingston and I transferred to Sussex for Computer Science (they were 9th for Computing when I applied).
Original post by hass147
Depends on what FD year you're doing but it's usually a fair bit easier than the direct A Level route. I did a Computing & Maths one at Kingston and I transferred to Sussex for Computer Science (they were 9th for Computing when I applied).

I know this thread was 3 yrs ago but i could really do with some help as I'm in a similar position atm. I'm currently doing a foundation year at uni and desperately want to switch at the end of it. I'm doing computer science btw, do you think Sussex would allow me on if i meet a certain requirement? Also how did you go about applying to them whilst on your foundation year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending