The Student Room Group

John Lewis Graduate Scheme 2013

Applications open on the 14th apparently, exciting! Anybody else applying for the buying scheme?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samton
Applications open on the 14th apparently, exciting! Anybody else applying for the buying scheme?

Me!
Reply 2
Me too! I'm still in the process of completing my application form online - it's nice and long-winded! What backgrounds do you both come from?
does anyone know the application process for this - say do you have to pass the situational questions to get to the numerical, and the numerical to get to the verbal? Or does everyone just get invited to do all of the tests and then we all get knocked out/put through in November when the applications close? thanks!xx
Reply 4
I finished it last week, after the application form I found out whether I could take the next test right away. The website says you have to pass each before being invited to the next so I assume I've passed them all and they would tell you right away if you fail anything like the verbal/numerical reasoning? But idk
Reply 5
Hi guys! I applied to the buying scheme too. The application form was soooooooo long! I just received an invitation for the values based questionnaire. Someone know what is it about? Also, any hint to improve the numerical test score? I am not good with it!

Thank you all!
Reply 6
I've finished all of the tests, anyone know how long it takes for a reply?
Reply 7
Im thinking after the 15th november cos I submitted mine 4 weeks ago and I'm still waiting
I am just filling out an application form for the Finance grad scheme.. Is anyone else applying for 2013 entry?
Does anyone find the questions a bit repetitive?
eg

Please give an example of where you have led a team, describing the challenges and successes you have encountered (200 words maximum)

Which core qualities would you associate with a successful leader? Tell us about a time when you have demonstrated at least one of these. (200 words maximum)

Arghh!!
I'm applying for Buying too! I have to take the numerical reasoning test this week, I've been practising loads but they are so hard!

How did everyone else find the actual test? How much did you guys practice?
Original post by hayley130990
I'm applying for Buying too! I have to take the numerical reasoning test this week, I've been practising loads but they are so hard!

How did everyone else find the actual test? How much did you guys practice?

Also applying for buying! I completed the first two tests last week, and passed the numerical and verbal today. Honestly I don't think any amount of preparation can prepare you for the SHL tests, the maths itself isn't ridiculous but the timing is. I'm usually horrific at them but I managed to pass just by making educated guesses and finished the test with a few minutes to spare. Fingers crossed!
Original post by LouboutinLove
Also applying for buying! I completed the first two tests last week, and passed the numerical and verbal today. Honestly I don't think any amount of preparation can prepare you for the SHL tests, the maths itself isn't ridiculous but the timing is. I'm usually horrific at them but I managed to pass just by making educated guesses and finished the test with a few minutes to spare. Fingers crossed!

I agree! I can do the maths, it's the time! I just never seem to finish! I'm going to have to do mine today at some point so fingers crossed!

Congratulations on passing them all! Do you know what happens with your application now?

There must be so much competition, literally everyone I speak to is applying for it it seems!
I agree! I can do the maths, it's the time! I just never seem to finish! I'm going to have to do mine today at some point so fingers crossed!

Congratulations on passing them all! Do you know what happens with your application now?

There must be so much competition, literally everyone I speak to is applying for it it seems!

I got an email after the verbal test saying it's on hold until the 14th when all the applications have been submitted and that I'll probably not hear from them till after that date.

I'm not holding out much hope since it's probably one of the most applied for grad schemes, but I figure at least I've got this far which I didn't expect! I'm hoping most people won't have buying experience which should hopefully count in my favour.
Reply 13
Hi guys! Has anyone here received an email like this one?

"Thank you for your recent application to join the John Lewis Graduate Scheme.
We would like to keep your application on hold for a short while until the closing date for graduate applications.
We only have a limited number of places available for this scheme and this enables us to ensure we are bringing the very best candidates through to the next stage.
We will be in contact with you no later than the end of November 2012 with an update on the status of your application."

They sent it after two/three weeks from the submission of the tests. I don't know how to interpret the email. Is it a positive sign? Is it a standard email sent to all the candidates???

Please let me know what your experience has been! Thank you all...
Original post by LouboutinLove
I got an email after the verbal test saying it's on hold until the 14th when all the applications have been submitted and that I'll probably not hear from them till after that date.

I'm not holding out much hope since it's probably one of the most applied for grad schemes, but I figure at least I've got this far which I didn't expect! I'm hoping most people won't have buying experience which should hopefully count in my favour.

Yeah I don't have any buying experience so you have one up on me!

Same, I'm proud to have got this far! Especially the maths, it's not my strong point! I thought the actual numerical test was much harder than the practice ones I had done too :s-smilie:

How did you find the verbal one? Sounds like if I pass that it'll be a bit of a waiting game... although I could use some time off from it all, got so much uni work to catch up on!
Reply 15
I am also applying to the Finance Scheme. I submitted my application, done the situational test, just need to do numerical and verbal reasoning.
How did everyone find them?

Good luck!
I was unsuccessful for the summer internship scheme :frown:
Original post by Bhatia3105
I am also applying to the Finance Scheme. I submitted my application, done the situational test, just need to do numerical and verbal reasoning.
How did everyone find them?

Good luck!

Found the verbal easier than the numerical but given you're going for finance I think you'll find it the other way round!

Good luck anyway! I think I managed to pass so it's waiting time..
Reply 18
Found the verbal easier than the numerical but given you're going for finance I think you'll find it the other way round!

Good luck anyway! I think I managed to pass so it's waiting time..

Thank you hayley130990! Good luck to you to!

I completed the verbal reasoning test and it said that they are reviewing my application. I thought that they would have instantly told me if I passed/failed. Did the same thing happen to everyone else? im so scared i failed the verbal reasoning!!

i dont like playing the waiting game...:frown:
Original post by Bhatia3105
Thank you hayley130990! Good luck to you to!

I completed the verbal reasoning test and it said that they are reviewing my application. I thought that they would have instantly told me if I passed/failed. Did the same thing happen to everyone else? im so scared i failed the verbal reasoning!!

i dont like playing the waiting game...:frown:

Haha me either! Yeah I got the 'Application under consideration" message so presume I passed too. I know if you failed numerical it instantly told you so presume it would be the same for verbal :smile: so well done!

Quick Reply

Latest