The Student Room Group

should i take environmental science at university

I am an AS student and wanting to know if environmental science is a good subject to take at uni. I am currently studying maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. I think it looks interesting but an inside view would be much appriaciated. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'm also an AS student and am thinking of doing environmental science, have u got any work experience yet?
Whats the difference between environmental geography, env science and a BSc geography degree?
I've applied to do env sci and will do it at nottingham(grades permitting!) and i would say that there is more actual science in env sci than geog. With geography, you can do human(bore!) or physical,but physical is more to do with geology. Env sci has aspects of all 3 sciences and has quite a bit of biology(especially ecology) and some chemistry.

My insurance is geog lol.
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG
Env sci has aspects of all 3 sciences and has quite a bit of biology(especially ecology) and some chemistry.

Careful with that :smile:
There are two different course codes for EnviSci, one has a fair chunk of biology as you said. The other has a stronger emphasis on chemistry!
Reply 5
Original post by GiveMeAChallenge
Whats the difference between environmental geography, env science and a BSc geography degree?

Okay so:

Environmental geography: the human and physical geographies of the environment. You would probably study both what causes a drought and what the real human effects of the drought are (as an example).

Environmental science: The difference can be hard to define this and BSc geography, but I'm going to outline how it is at my uni. Environmental science is more of a "hard" science. There is lab work and students are required to operate a high standard of maths and chemistry just to be able to pass the first year.

BSc Geography: Similar to environmental science, but less of a lab based course. Instead of having to do more labs and sheets with chemical equations and maths, the assessment is predominantly essays. Can include aspects of human geography as well. BSc geography will often take into account the impact of what is learnt, e.g. the impact of earthquakes on humans whereas environmental science is generally focused purely on the science.

The difference between BSc geog and envirsci in actuality can be very little. When going to open days most universities operate it so students can attend both talks because they are often so similar. All three of them are brilliant subjects, but if I had to pick I would pick Environmental Geography. I am, however, a human geographer and not a physical one and environmental geography is probably the one there which is closest to human geography and that is probably why :P
I'm currently an Environmental Sciences student going into the second year and I love it. As has been already said, Env. Sci. has much more biology and chemistry involved and more labs than BSc Geography. My degree has quite a large amount of flexibility in regards to modules and out of the 5 options I have this year I am taking two chemistry modules, two biology modules but only one physical geography module. I could have tailored my degree to be almost identical to BSc Geography apart from the occasional compulsory chemistry or ecology module. It's more of a 'proper' science than BSc Geography.
Reply 7
I've applied to do env sci and will do it at nottingham(grades permitting!) and i would say that there is more actual science in env sci than geog. With geography, you can do human(bore!) or physical,but physical is more to do with geology. Env sci has aspects of all 3 sciences and has quite a bit of biology(especially ecology) and some chemistry.

My insurance is geog lol.
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

i'm apply to nottingham too!!, i really want to study there. sorry this is kind of a late reply lol, i'm sending of my ucas tomorrow :biggrin:
Original post by hazel43
i'm apply to nottingham too!!, i really want to study there. sorry this is kind of a late reply lol, i'm sending of my ucas tomorrow :biggrin:

Haha, no problem :tongue: I've actually started my Bsci at Nottingham doing environmental science now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Haha, no problem :tongue: I've actually started my Bsci at Nottingham doing environmental science now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

WELL DONE for getting in!!!!!!!!, I sent off my ucas application a few days ago and i'm so nervous lol, hows nottingham uni so far?
Original post by hazel43
WELL DONE for getting in!!!!!!!!, I sent off my ucas application a few days ago and i'm so nervous lol, hows nottingham uni so far?

Thank you!!! Good luck with your application!
The uni's been great, there is an unbelievable amount of things to do and opportunities for students. Love the city and met sooo many new people :biggrin:
Please don't hesitate to ask if you've got questions about the course or uni
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hi I've applied to nottingham for environmental science too :smile:! It looks like an amazing university. Has anyone gotten any offers yet? :smile: also can you go on as many of the big trips as you want? or can you only do one per year? I can't wait for university! Just need to get the grades now :s-smilie:
Original post by J Dizzle
Hi I've applied to nottingham for environmental science too :smile:! It looks like an amazing university. Has anyone gotten any offers yet? :smile: also can you go on as many of the big trips as you want? or can you only do one per year? I can't wait for university! Just need to get the grades now :s-smilie:

You can go on as many trips as you want, however i think there is only around 4 available throughout your degree :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
You can go on as many trips as you want, however i think there is only around 4 available throughout your degree :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok :smile: that's awesome and even if there's only 4 it will still hopefully be good :biggrin: how long can it take to hear back from nottingham?
Ah ok :smile: that's awesome and even if there's only 4 it will still hopefully be good :biggrin: how long can it take to hear back from nottingham?

1-2 weeks for confirmation of them receiving your application and about a month for a offer/rejection i think was approx how long i waited. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
1-2 weeks for confirmation of them receiving your application and about a month for a offer/rejection i think was approx how long i waited. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok :biggrin: that's not so bad i guess :smile: thankyou :biggrin:!
Ok :biggrin: that's not so bad i guess :smile: thankyou :biggrin:!

No problem, please ask if you have any more questions :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
No problem, please ask if you have any more questions :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do! :smile: I guess my only other questions would be is it a busy timetable or is there alot of free periods? and can you choose to do optional modules that are not in the biosciences department? :smile: haha thanks for all your help :biggrin:!
Will do! :smile: I guess my only other questions would be is it a busy timetable or is there alot of free periods? and can you choose to do optional modules that are not in the biosciences department? :smile: haha thanks for all your help :biggrin:!

Currently in my first term i have 14 hours a week, with lectures only on mondays,tuesdays, thursdays and fridays. This may change next term as i take other modules. Ooh, and you can take optional modules from any department you like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Currently in my first term i have 14 hours a week, with lectures only on mondays,tuesdays, thursdays and fridays. This may change next term as i take other modules. Ooh, and you can take optional modules from any department you like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

wednesdays free! woo :smile: lucky :P i get wednesdays off too from college but way more hours every other day obviously :P and that's great! :smile: Thanks for all your help! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending