The Student Room Group

University of Malta Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by MedMed12
thank you! are you there now? I have BBBC at AS with AAAb predictions for a2 but malta is my 2nd choice to UK

hey you two! seen you on the year 13 medic thread- are you considering malta as a back up then to avoid a gap year or incase you dont get the grades, or you generally want to go there as a first choice- BBB and no fees, cheap living costs is sooo appealing and malta is just stunning and theres the opportunity to learn a new language < abroad sounds soo good :P hehe! x

I hope to get the grades needed for UK medical schools, that's not the reason why I'm looking at Malta. I don't prefer Malta to any of my UK choices on UCAS. But I am seriously considering the school. That's why I'm trying to get some info. But it feels like I'm hitting a brick wall. I won't just apply without enough info about the course, the application process, any exams I might have to take, the entry reqs. The website is pretty useless...

hey you two! seen you on the year 13 medic thread- are you considering malta as a back up then to avoid a gap year or incase you dont get the grades, or you generally want to go there as a first choice- BBB and no fees, cheap living costs is sooo appealing and malta is just stunning and theres the opportunity to learn a new language < abroad sounds soo good :P hehe! x

No I'm considering it as a serious option alongside my other choices. If I get an offer from Malta and offer from uCL I will have some serious decision making to make :biggrin:
Original post by Pride
you need a language? Where did you find this info. I can't find it.

Do you reckon English lit counts as a language lool
Reply 303
Original post by Weasle
I have been in Malta this week looking at the Uni and it IS free for UK (and EU) students! Courses for medicine are taught in English, especially as there are very few technical words in the Maltese language, so it's impossible to teach in Maltese. The only thing that costs is accommodation and things like books etc..

Maltese is not a requirement, although it's quite useful to study as an extracurricular subject because some patients do prefer speaking in Maltese but this is not often a problem (I had the honour of spending a morning with the top psychiatrist in Malta who works with UK Universities as well. I also met an F1 and an F2 from England and Ireland who spoke no Maltese and they said it was fine).

The only problem is entry requirements as the UK A Levels don't allow us to do all the subjects they require (unless you do IB in the UK).
General requirements are the subjects that anyone who wants to study any course at the University of Malta must have. For UK A Levels, these must be attained at grade E AS Level.
Group 1- a language
Group 2 - a humanity
Group 3 - a science/maths
Group 4 - an art (be careful as it seemed the only AS subject I could do that was art, drama etc.. was Computing becuase our Home Economics and ICT courses don't cover what they require here!).
You can pick more than one subject from each group, but people must have at least one.

THEN, there's the course specific requirements which are Biology, Chemistry and a third A Level all at grade B or above. These aren't the issue, but people may struggle with the general requirements as it's very difficult for us to take a minimum of 6 AS Levels and fit it into our timetable at school.

You can either take the AS subjects that you don't have after year 13 (or during if you want to teach yourself as you only need grade E), or you can do one year of medicine in a recognised UK University, and then drop out and transfer to Malta. You would have to start from year 1 again, but you will be at an incredible advantage!

Good luck guys <3

OK.

Finally, after going through the thread, I have found some information. Apparently for undergraduate med, you need a set up similar to the IB, a language, a humanity, and then the course specific reqs.
Original post by Aysha92
You will need a language at AS, just a pass is needed so an E is fine! They are strict with there admission policy - you have to meet their course specific requirements AND general entry requirements. If you're Alevel students you can apply till July if u remember correctly.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Are you sure about this? Because their website didn't seem to say this :/
hang on, so bio, chem maths and french isn't enough? or is just from one group or I need them from all groups?
The website is crap and they havent replied to my emails - perhaps a risky place to apply if admissions arent seriously taken.
I did geo, english for GCSE :l
if the degree is only 5 years- can I come back here for FY1 and FY2? :smile:
if the degree is only 5 years- can I come back here for FY1 and FY2? :smile:

Yes, well that's what I'm planning on doing

To answer everyone's questions on admissions, they very much consider you on an individual basis. If you do British A-levels you apply as a local which is much easier. There are only 3 people who have come straight from Alevels from UK (I am one) and we all have a humanity and a language to either AS or A2

Fortunately for me English language counted as a language. Dear person who took literature do not specify that it's literature, just say English and I'm sure that will be fine

Original post by Abbieastoria

To answer everyone's questions on admissions, they very much consider you on an individual basis. If you do British A-levels you apply as a local which is much easier. There are only 3 people who have come straight from Alevels from UK (I am one) and we all have a humanity and a language to either AS or A2

Fortunately for me English language counted as a language. Dear person who took literature do not specify that it's literature, just say English and I'm sure that will be fine

thank you for your reply! have you spoken to anyone else who has done that? or who is in an older year there- how is the course so far ? :smile:
Hmm thank you! I really dont want to have to study another AS :P Unless critical thinking counts as a humanity? :s-smilie:
the dea that there are only 3 of you also is abit scary :P how long hvae students from here gone over to malta? I know prague has about 50 so for me thats a better option, but its 6 years ( includes fy1) and you have to learn czech (but thye do have english translators)

Do you think the Extended Project would count as a humanities? Otherwise it's not worth me applying.
thank you for your reply! have you spoken to anyone else who has done that? or who is in an older year there- how is the course so far ? :smile:
Hmm thank you! I really dont want to have to study another AS :P Unless critical thinking counts as a humanity? :s-smilie:
the dea that there are only 3 of you also is abit scary :P how long hvae students from here gone over to malta? I know prague has about 50 so for me thats a better option, but its 6 years ( includes fy1) and you have to learn czech (but thye do have english translators)

3 straight from Alevel however there are loads of British people who has already done a degree. About 20 Brits so it's really nice. Course is damn hard, the Maltese Alevel system is very difficult and only the creme de la creme of Maltese kids get into medschool. Critical thinking may count because we actually have a small group class called critical thinking so they might appreciate that, not sure at extended project, although I did one I suppose it helped my application. You may find that you love it here and want to live here permanent after you qualify, some people do, for me though it's a very small country and I think I'd get bored after 5 years. However, perfect study environment, sunny and happy. Longest and most stressful holiday I've ever had haha

3 straight from Alevel however there are loads of British people who has already done a degree. About 20 Brits so it's really nice. Course is damn hard, the Maltese Alevel system is very difficult and only the creme de la creme of Maltese kids get into medschool. Critical thinking may count because we actually have a small group class called critical thinking so they might appreciate that, not sure at extended project, although I did one I suppose it helped my application. You may find that you love it here and want to live here permanent after you qualify, some people do, for me though it's a very small country and I think I'd get bored after 5 years. However, perfect study environment, sunny and happy. Longest and most stressful holiday I've ever had haha

oh 20 is a good number! :smile: when can I apply? thats great!
when you say damn hard? what do you mean alot to learn or the concepts are hard? :l it cant be any harder than here- and is it all lectures? :smile:
I'm pretty sure I'll want to come back, but like you said,you never know I guess! I'm not doing an EPQ sadly no, too much work for me, with a-levels.
thanks so much <3

Thanks. I probably won't lose anything by applying but I'm not holding out for much.
oh 20 is a good number! :smile: when can I apply? thats great!
when you say damn hard? what do you mean alot to learn or the concepts are hard? :l it cant be any harder than here- and is it all lectures? :smile:
I'm pretty sure I'll want to come back, but like you said,you never know I guess! I'm not doing an EPQ sadly no, too much work for me, with a-levels.
thanks so much <3

The workload is crazy, and to be honest they kinda just continue from where the Maltese kids left off at school. So anything the Maltese kids did at Alevel that you did, you won't be taught whereas in the UK everything is basically taught from te beginning at some medschools as biology is not a requirement. Here biology is not only a requirement you're expected to remember everything too

The workload is crazy, and to be honest they kinda just continue from where the Maltese kids left off at school. So anything the Maltese kids did at Alevel that you did, you won't be taught whereas in the UK everything is basically taught from te beginning at some medschools as biology is not a requirement. Here biology is not only a requirement you're expected to remember everything too

ahh I see what you mean? So basically its worth recapping Bio then? Is that what makes it hard especially as you werent expecting it? Also is it mostly lectures or also PBL and clinical skills (im mad about pbl :tongue:)
aha x
ahh I see what you mean? So basically its worth recapping Bio then? Is that what makes it hard especially as you werent expecting it? Also is it mostly lectures or also PBL and clinical skills (im mad about pbl :tongue:)
aha x

Yea the main thing that makes it hard is that they already know basic Anatomy which were not really taught in England, and this week I have about 15 lectures, 2 dissections, 1 video dissection, a small critical thinking class which is basically PBL, and a histology slide show class

It's a nice mixture, other than dissection is pretty messed up, I wasn't expecting to be in the room with the fridge of horrors and body parts floating in tubs of liquid round the room, but there you have it, the wacky world of medicine

Yea the main thing that makes it hard is that they already know basic Anatomy which were not really taught in England, and this week I have about 15 lectures, 2 dissections, 1 video dissection, a small critical thinking class which is basically PBL, and a histology slide show class

It's a nice mixture, other than dissection is pretty messed up, I wasn't expecting to be in the room with the fridge of horrors and body parts floating in tubs of liquid round the room, but there you have it, the wacky world of medicine

seriously? thats crazy!! :O ahh any idea what the pass-rate/drop out for brit students is? :s-smilie: hopefully youll be okay though :smile: x
seriously? thats crazy!! :O ahh any idea what the pass-rate/drop out for brit students is? :s-smilie: hopefully youll be okay though :smile: x

No idea, as until now there haven't really been many British student, I know there are none at all in 3rd year. However I know that 33% of all medics fail first year and either resit or drop out. Just make sure you aren't one of them I suppose

No idea, as until now there haven't really been many British student, I know there are none at all in 3rd year. However I know that 33% of all medics fail first year and either resit or drop out. Just make sure you aren't one of them I suppose

:O woahh thats quite alot actually.
Hmm malta might not be for me :s-smilie: idk I'll see near the time I guess and just hope for the best with UK
This is the most fun I've had in my life, anywhere you go for medicine will be hard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending