The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

S104 October 2012 - Astronomy and Planetary Science

Hi,

I start S104 in October 2012 and was wondering if anyone was in the same boat but doing the Astronomy and Planetary Science pathway.

I have been in contact with some lovely people but can't find anyone who is doing the same pathway as me :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Melissajane1983
Hi,

I start S104 in October 2012 and was wondering if anyone was in the same boat but doing the Astronomy and Planetary Science pathway.

I have been in contact with some lovely people but can't find anyone who is doing the same pathway as me :frown:

I'm currently reading through the PDF versions of the books to try and get a head start :smile:

I'm a year ahead of you but I'm looking to start S283 Planetary Science this year. Once you're able to login into the OU system, you'll have access to the Department of Physical Sciences forum where people of all levels hold lively discussions about physics/astronomy and module options.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi,

Im currently reading through the PDF versions of the books to try and get a head start :smile:

Where did you get the PDFs from? :confused:

Also I noticed you're in Liverpool, I'm from Runcorn :biggrin:

I am starting in Feb though :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Madigan
Where did you get the PDFs from? :confused:

Also I noticed you're in Liverpool, I'm from Runcorn :biggrin:

I am starting in Feb though :frown:

Hey Madigan

I did an advanced search on google and managed to find only book 1 on PDF which I have now deleted for room on my laptop :s-smilie:, I thought I had found another but turned out to be something else.

Yes im in Halewood... How come your starting in Feb? Which pathway are you on??
Reply 4
Well at the time I applied I missed the deadline for the October start. I'm on the Physics pathway. And yeah sadly book 1 was all I could find too.
Original post by Madigan
Well at the time I applied I missed the deadline for the October start. I'm on the Physics pathway. And yeah sadly book 1 was all I could find too.

Awww its such a shame that you missed the deadline... Im on the physics pathway too. Are you doing any other modules this year or just S104??
Reply 6
I will be doing one of the Maths modules for the pathway right after S104, so 90 credits this year. I would love to do more but I really don't think I'll manage working full time and travelling up and down the country. Good luck with your course, I'd be interested to know how you're finding it. :smile:
Original post by Madigan
I will be doing one of the Maths modules for the pathway right after S104, so 90 credits this year. I would love to do more but I really don't think I'll manage working full time and travelling up and down the country. Good luck with your course, I'd be interested to know how you're finding it. :smile:

Which maths module you doing as I start a maths module in Feb aswell??
Thank you... yeah sure, ill let you know how I find it. Feel free to email me as im not on here that often: [email protected] :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you... yeah sure, ill let you know how I find it. Feel free to email me as im not on here that often: [email protected] :smile:

Hi

I did S104 and S155 last year, and this year I'm doing MST121 Using Maths and S276 Geology. That'll be a total of 130 points which I'm hoping to get some offers to go to a 'bricks and mortar' Uni with.
Reply 9

Hello, my course module plan is on my blog:

http://www.tonimadigan.co.uk/

When S104 finishes for me I am taking up the MST121 October start straight after. :s-smilie:
Reply 10
I would recommend checking out module facebook pages for advice and even asking for pdf's off kindly fellow OU students there or from previous modules. I have pdf's of 104, 283,282,207,154,151 and maths 121. All very handy stuff.
Reply 11
Hi,

I'm starting the s104 in October 2013 and I'm quite nervous after some of the comments I've read on the net..

What is the course like? Is the workload manageable?

Someone mentioned about PDFs.. Where can you get these? That would be really helpful!!

Am I right in thinking that the open uni send you all the books / materials you need for the course?

Thanks,
David

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by davetye
Hi,

I'm starting the s104 in October 2013 and I'm quite nervous after some of the comments I've read on the net..

Someone mentioned about PDFs.. Where can you get these? That would be really helpful!!

Am I right in thinking that the open uni send you all the books / materials you need for the course?

Thanks,
David

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, don't worry. I did the course with a limited science education and while working full time and passed comfortably. I put the study hours and at times it was quite stressful but I'm glad I did it and it made me feel confident going into L2 courses.
Original post by davetye
Hi,

Thanks,
David

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently half way through the course and to be honest it's not that bad!! Some books are obviously harder than others like I found chemistry easy as I did a level chem but found physics ridiculously hard.... Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 14
Hi, i'm doing a mathematics and stats degree, but hopefully i'll be able to do another which i am looking to hopefully do natural science.

I'm just wondering, what is the course like? I'm assuming astronomy is quite interesting

Thanks
Reply 15
Original post by nessa76
Hi, i'm doing a mathematics and stats degree, but hopefully i'll be able to do another which i am looking to hopefully do natural science.

I'm just wondering, what is the course like? I'm assuming astronomy is quite interesting

Thanks

S104 is a multidisciplinary course covering all the main sciences but there's a fair amount of astronomy and astrophysics on the course. It can be hard but you come out of it feeling that you've taken a serious step in your science journey.
Reply 16
Original post by Nitebot
S104 is a multidisciplinary course covering all the main sciences but there's a fair amount of astronomy and astrophysics on the course. It can be hard but you come out of it feeling that you've taken a serious step in your science journey.

Thanks Nitebot, sounds like it could open a wide range of careers within science too :smile:

Quick Reply