The Student Room Group

How many A level maths subjects are there?

I know there are 18 units and I know (C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2 = 1 subject) so there will be 12 more units and my question is if some one did some other 6 units will he/she have 2 A level subjects.
Reply 1
It depends. To get Further Maths any old 6 other units is not sufficient. You need to do
FP1,
At least 1 from FP2 and FP3, and
3 or 4 other units (depending on whether you did both of FP2 and 3 or not) that you haven't taken in Maths.

There are other possible Maths A levels - Statistics, Mechanics etc,
maths, further maths and additional further maths cover most if not all modules I think
Reply 3
There's Maths A-level
Then theres Further Maths A-level
Then there Further Additional Maths A-level, just incase you didn't already have enough Maths in your life.
Reply 4
Original post by Luffy.
I know there are 18 units and I know (C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2 = 1 subject) so there will be 12 more units and my question is if some one did some other 6 units will he/she have 2 A level subjects.

C1-4 + 2 optional modules --> Maths A-Level
FP1 + FP2/FP3 + 4 more --> Further Maths A-Level
Other six modules --> Additional Further Maths A-Level

iirc, Additional Further Maths is not an option for some boards, but I know it is for Edexcel and OCR.

So, 3 A-Level subjects in all (or 2 if your board doesn't offer AFM).
Reply 5
Original post by Data
It depends. To get Further Maths any old 6 other units is not sufficient. You need to do
FP1,
At least 1 from FP2 and FP3, and
3 or 4 other units (depending on whether you did both of FP2 and 3 or not) that you haven't taken in Maths.

There are other possible Maths A levels - Statistics, Mechanics etc,

I dont get it. Do you mean FP1 is one A level subject or FP1, FP2, FP3 is one A level subject.
Use of Mathematics (I believe this is only an AS-level for now but they are developing an A-level)
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Additional Further Mathematics

As far as I know, there could be more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by lollington-mccoy
maths, further maths and additional further maths cover most if not all modules I think

Back of my C1 book says there are other Maths units and those are Core Maths units from (C1 - C4) and Further maths units from (FP1 - FP3) and Mechanics units (M1 - M5) and Statistics units (S1 - S4) and Decision maths units from (D1 - D2) so thats 18 units and this is (C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2) one subjects and further maths maybe (FP1 to FP3) I am not sure about that but what is additional further maths.
Reply 8
Original post by Luffy.
I dont get it. Do you mean FP1 is one A level subject or FP1, FP2, FP3 is one A level subject.

FP1 (Further Pure 1) is a unit, just like Core Maths 1 (C1) is a unit. You need 3 units for an AS and 6 units for an A level. Any Further Maths qualification has to have FP1 as one of its units.

If you really want to understand all the options open to you then there is a gripping 17 page guide to it all:
http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1047/GCE%20Maths%20rules%20guidance%20for%20centres%20Sept%202010.pdf
Reply 9
Original post by Luffy.
what is additional further maths.

Sounds like you are doing Edexcel maths. Additional Further Maths is any 6 units that you didn't do for Maths and Further Maths. For Edexcel this means the only 6 units you haven't already done.
Reply 10
Original post by Data
Sounds like you are doing Edexcel maths. Additional Further Maths is any 6 units that you didn't do for Maths and Further Maths. For Edexcel this means the only 6 units you haven't already done.

Thanks to you and every one who answered but I have one more question. Will Universities accept those 3 subjects as 3 subjects. I mean most universities says to get minimum 3 A level subjects.
Reply 11
Original post by Luffy.
Thanks to you and every one who answered but I have one more question. Will Universities accept those 3 subjects as 3 subjects. I mean most universities says to get minimum 3 A level subjects.

It depends on what course you apply for. I wouldn't recommend it.
Original post by Luffy.

As far as I know most universities aren't very happy with these being the 3 subjects. If you're applying for maths (which I'd assume you are) maybe they do but I think some would be put off by the lack of at least a LITTLE variety.
OP - I should point out that not all exam boards offer AFM. I can tell you're not talking about OCR, because they only seem to have 17 modules (C1-4, FP1-3, S1-4, M1-4, D1-2) but the only boards that actually offer AFM are Edexcel and OCR MEI.

I'm assuming that you'd be applying for maths with 3 maths A-levels - that would probably be the only subject that would accept just those 3, but they might not take kindly to it. Although it's good to be focused, they'd want to see a bit of variety. And what happens if you get bored of doing maths? You wouldn't have an alternative to fall back on.
Reply 14
Original post by Data
It depends on what course you apply for. I wouldn't recommend it.

I am not applying to any course or anything. I am just learning what it is.
Reply 15
Original post by hassi94
As far as I know most universities aren't very happy with these being the 3 subjects. If you're applying for maths (which I'd assume you are) maybe they do but I think some would be put off by the lack of at least a LITTLE variety.

I am not applying for anything.
Reply 16
Original post by Contrad!ction.
OP - I should point out that not all exam boards offer AFM. I can tell you're not talking about OCR, because they only seem to have 17 modules (C1-4, FP1-3, S1-4, M1-4, D1-2) but the only boards that actually offer AFM are Edexcel and OCR MEI.

I'm assuming that you'd be applying for maths with 3 maths A-levels - that would probably be the only subject that would accept just those 3, but they might not take kindly to it. Although it's good to be focused, they'd want to see a bit of variety. And what happens if you get bored of doing maths? You wouldn't have an alternative to fall back on.

I am not applying for maths or anything. I am bored doing maths but I am more bored doing the other two subjects (Chemistry and Physics). And by the way I cant do all those units from my country. I just wanted to learn what it is.
Original post by Luffy.

For Maths AS I did: C1, C2, and S1
For Further Maths AS I did: FP1, M1 and D1

For A2 Maths I will be doing: C3, C4 nd S2
For A2 Further Maths I will be doing: FP2, M2 and D2

However I know there are people who do Advanced Further Maths which I comprehend is very difficult!! Seen the papers :redface:

For the Advanced Extension Award, many students would be doing modules in FP3, S3, S4, M3, M4 and even M5 (insane? I know)

However for AQA I think, they offer ALevel's in Maths Mechanics and Maths Stats in which the core's are no longer the main units but instead M1, M2, M3 and M4 will completed for the Mechanics ALevel and S1,S2, S3 and S4 completed for the Maths & Stats ALevel respectively.

If your thinking of doing further modules, then yes it is possible to pick up an extra qualification. Whether you want to go for the Advanced Extension Award or gain an AS in Further Maths
Reply 18
Original post by J.Nalbandian14

For the Advanced Extension Award, many students would be doing modules in FP3, S3, S4, M3, M4 and even M5 (insane? I know)

Did you realize that this thread was over 6 months old?

By the way, the AEA is nothing to do with Further Maths or Applied Maths units - it simply consists of more challenging questions based on the Core material from A level Maths and constitutes a totally separate qualification!

Quick Reply

Latest