The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haha, LAD :cool:
I shouldn't laugh but LOOOOOOOOOL :biggrin:
Reply 3
Another thread for people who cant tell the difference between feminists and feminazis.

And lol if you want feminazis to have more concern for male issues (as many tsr guys seem to want, not unreasonably), then 'trolling' them and exposing your unwanted genitals at them isnt doing men any favours.

That said after watching the video, there was no need for things to be thrown. And i have no idea what that crazy blonde was doing at the top :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Legend. Would have done far more for their cause if they just ignored it and stated 'we aren't going to focus our protest around a phallus' lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
:toofunny:
You looked under the skirt, don't lie:sexface:
Reply 7
Just thought I'd repost what someone else has written on a blog about the story, it provides some context on what happened and why there was such an outcry about the man's actions.

"This occurred at a Slut Walk. For those not familiar with it, the Slut Walk is basically a peaceful protest seeking to eliminate the rape apologism so prevalent in society. The basis is that no woman is “asking for it,” with “it” being rape. It’s not a feminist protest; it’s a human rights protest.
Many of the protesters, as you can probably imagine, have dealt with sexual harassment or rape in their own lives. Many of them have structured their daily activities to avoid being raped. The gathering is supposed to be a place for them to feel empowered and able to recover in the company of those who understand what they’ve been through or who will not blame them.

Nobody at a Slut Walk will tell a survivor that it’s her fault. They will not ask what she was wearing to provoke her attacker. Nobody will say she had too much to drink. Nobody will tell the men in the group that they are inherently rapists themselves, and nobody will tell a male survivor that his experience “wasn’t really rape.”

Then, this fellow comes along. He sees this gathering of survivors and their supporters, and to him, it’s a joke. He sees feminazis. He sees girls who are taking “a bit of fun” too seriously. And what does he do? He exposes himself to this group of survivors and supporters - some of whom are, in fact, underage.
He sexually harasses literally hundreds of women in one act. Aside from public indecency, there was cruel intent in his actions. He wanted to make them uncomfortable. He wanted to “put them in their place.” Other photos from this event show him flipping the protesters off and laughing at their anger.

And there are still people defending his actions. There are those who still feel like these women were asking for itand that they deserved to be harassed for trying to claim they weren’t. There are those who feel that women should be taught a lesson this way, and they applaud this man’s actions.

So no, he didn’t pull out his dick in front of feminist protesters. He harassed dozens - if not hundreds - of rape survivors. The reaction to his actions alone outline the purpose of the Slut Walk.

For those of you still doubting whether what he did was wrong (and I do wonder if there’s something wrong with you, if you have doubts), let me give you an analogous situation. Imagine a gathering of black civil rights activists. Imagine Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, and all their colleagues gathered together to demonstrate that being black did not make them lesser people. That being black and living in the South did not mean they were “asking” to be the target of hate crimes.

And at this gathering, a white man decides he should teach them a lesson by pointedly hanging a noose from the nearest tree and laughing at their anger. And other white men, laughing along with him, commend him for taking these activists down a peg.

That’s what happened here. It’s not an “OMG, I can’t believe he did that!” moment. It’s an “OMG, there are people who think this is okay” moment. And the fact is, it’s not. It never will be. And that’s the take home message of this ridiculous rant I’ve written up"

(Sorry that the message is so long, I'd have cut it down but I think pretty much all of it is worth reading and I didn't really want to paraphrase since it's not something I wrote)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
It's funny I must say
I know I shouldn't say it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by qwerty7
Just thought I'd repost what someone else has written on a blog about the story, it provides some context on what happened and why there was such an outcry about the man's actions.

"This occurred at a Slut Walk. For those not familiar with it, the Slut Walk is basically a peaceful protest seeking to eliminate the rape apologism so prevalent in society. The basis is that no woman is “asking for it,” with “it” being rape. It’s not a feminist protest; it’s a human rights protest.
Many of the protesters, as you can probably imagine, have dealt with sexual harassment or rape in their own lives. Many of them have structured their daily activities to avoid being raped. The gathering is supposed to be a place for them to feel empowered and able to recover in the company of those who understand what they’ve been through or who will not blame them.

Nobody at a Slut Walk will tell a survivor that it’s her fault. They will not ask what she was wearing to provoke her attacker. Nobody will say she had too much to drink. Nobody will tell the men in the group that they are inherently rapists themselves, and nobody will tell a male survivor that his experience “wasn’t really rape.”

Then, this fellow comes along. He sees this gathering of survivors and their supporters, and to him, it’s a joke. He sees feminazis. He sees girls who are taking “a bit of fun” too seriously. And what does he do? He exposes himself to this group of survivors and supporters - some of whom are, in fact, underage.
He sexually harasses literally hundreds of women in one act. Aside from public indecency, there was cruel intent in his actions. He wanted to make them uncomfortable. He wanted to “put them in their place.” Other photos from this event show him flipping the protesters off and laughing at their anger.

And there are still people defending his actions. There are those who still feel like these women were asking for itand that they deserved to be harassed for trying to claim they weren’t. There are those who feel that women should be taught a lesson this way, and they applaud this man’s actions.

So no, he didn’t pull out his dick in front of feminist protesters. He harassed dozens - if not hundreds - of rape survivors. The reaction to his actions alone outline the purpose of the Slut Walk.

For those of you still doubting whether what he did was wrong (and I do wonder if there’s something wrong with you, if you have doubts), let me give you an analogous situation. Imagine a gathering of black civil rights activists. Imagine Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, and all their colleagues gathered together to demonstrate that being black did not make them lesser people. That being black and living in the South did not mean they were “asking” to be the target of hate crimes.

And at this gathering, a white man decides he should teach them a lesson by pointedly hanging a noose from the nearest tree and laughing at their anger. And other white men, laughing along with him, commend him for taking these activists down a peg.

That’s what happened here. It’s not an “OMG, I can’t believe he did that!” moment. It’s an “OMG, there are people who think this is okay” moment. And the fact is, it’s not. It never will be. And that’s the take home message of this ridiculous rant I’ve written up"

(Sorry that the message is so long, I'd have cut it down but I think pretty much all of it is worth reading and I didn't really want to paraphrase since it's not something I wrote)

Yup, I saw this too. PREACH. The reaction to what happened at this Brazil slutwalk really saddened me and made me realise still how much stigma and hate there is surrounding feminism. What this guy did was not funny at all
Reply 10
love the guy's smirk, it just says 'worth it' :lol:
Original post by qwerty7

Don't worry, I cut it for you.

No it isn't. A Slut Walk is a protest against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's appearance.

The opinion that women are asking to be raped by the way that they dress or any other type of rape apologism is not a prevalent view in society.

To say so is like saying that Feminism is the view that women should not merely be equal to men, but superior, since that's a 'prevalent view' amongst feminists.

Many? A significant proportion? Or only a few? It would have been easier to write 'they will mostly be feminists' without the need for emotional language. How or why exactly does one need to 'structure daily activities to avoid being raped'?

Written by a woman person who believes that every man is a potential rapist, I'm sure.

Edit - Surprised at the number of negs this post has received given that it has only been replied to once in objection.

I guess some people will always hold the prejudice that the majority of women on a slutwalk have been previously raped/sexually assaulted, rather than simply being feminists in solidarity with other feminists.

And 'structured their daily activities to avoid being raped' is a truly ridiculous remark. I asked what that actually meant, yet no one has replied.

It is just confirming further evidence of what is alluded to in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15491274.

...experiments confirmed that women's automatic in-group bias is remarkably stronger than men's and investigated explanations for this sex difference, derived from potential sources of implicit attitudes...

Neg Away!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
tumblr_m79odypG931qgincb.jpg why i don't like these walks

the thing people don't realise is that most rapists don't rape because they see a sexy woman, they actually have some sort of mental condition. Telling people not to rape isn't gonna stop rapists in the same respect telling a murderer not to murder isn't going to be very effective, or a mugger not to mug isn't gonna stop anything at all.

and my gosh comparing someone showing his junk in a slutwalk, a walk in which many people go around the place naked or topless to a noose is a damn stupid analogy to make.
(edited 11 years ago)
What a horrible person. A man exposing his penis is not being funny, he is being threatening. No-one has the right to do that to anyone.
Reply 14
Original post by marcusfox
Don't worry, I cut it for you.

No it isn't. A Slut Walk is a protest against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's appearance.

The opinion that women are asking to be raped by the way that they dress or any other type of rape apologism is not a prevalent view in society.

To say so is like saying that Feminism is the view that women should not merely be equal to men, but superior, since that's a 'prevalent view' amongst feminists.

Many? A significant proportion? Or only a few? It would have been easier to write 'they will mostly be feminists' without the need for emotional language. How or why exactly does one need to 'structure activities to avoid being raped'?

Written by a woman person who believes that every man is a potential rapist, I'm sure.

Sorry to quote the daily mail, but here it is:
"A third of Britons believe a woman who acts flirtatiously is partially or completely to blame for being raped, according to a new study.
More than a quarter also believe a woman is at least partly responsible for being raped if she wears sexy or revealing clothing, or is drunk, the study found.
One in five think a woman is partly to blame if it is known she has many sexual partners, while more than a third believe she is responsible to some degree if she has clearly failed to say "no" to the man.", surely a third of Britons counts as a 'prevalent view'?

And the author isn't trying to argue that they are "mostly feminists", they're trying to argue that most of them have experienced sexual harrasment or abuse and it is something which dictates their daily lives. Sexual abuse survivor and feminist aren't mutually exclusive terms.
Original post by ArtGoblin
What a horrible person. A man exposing his penis is not being funny, he is being threatening. No-one has the right to do that to anyone.

Haha, WHAT. Being naked is threatening?

Bahaha
He's an arse, but mobbing him and trying to assault him just makes them look like thugs and destroys any point they were trying to get across :/
Reply 17
Original post by Aisha~~
Haha, WHAT. Being naked is threatening?

Bahaha

If you're a survivor of rape, I'm sure a man flashing himself can be pretty threatening, even if that wasn't his intention.
Its not really funny, he's just being a dick.

That said, I find the whole Slutwalk movement/activism ridiculous. Quite frankly its just a movement that makes victims and people who know victims feel better by buying into this theory that there is nothing anyone person can do to reduce the risk of them being a victim, and we shouldn't talk about it because that's victim blaming. A theory that we never apply to any other situation than rape.

Ignore the victims, shame the bystanders (men, any one will do) and pretend the criminals don't exist or are unaware rape is a criminal offence or give **** for that matter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Society does not "blame" women for getting raped any more than the police "blame" home-owners for forgetting to lock their doors when there are robbers about. Everyone with a modicum of common sense knows the enemy is the criminal. There is no need for a "Slut Walk"

Latest