The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

shinytoy
this is something i dont get.
us Catholics, we are not allowed to have physical relationships for fun. therefore, dating people should only date Catholics. as the main purpose of dating is to love the person, and for us love leads ultimately to marriage, then having kids.

So a date neccesarily equals a physical relationship?
Going on a date equals Love?

That is something I dont get, for me the Church's teaching is that sexual intercouse is wrong outside of marriage and that sleeping around is wrong (cant remember the word) - not that a physical relationship is wrong in the sense of kissing or even holding hands.
shinytoy
this is something i dont get.
us Catholics, we are not allowed to have physical relationships for fun. therefore, dating people should only date Catholics. as the main purpose of dating is to love the person, and for us love leads ultimately to marriage, then having kids.

so therfore we cannot date non Catholics??

Erm No! thats a phrase I would hear in Northern Ireland but not anywhere else lol.....But you can date anyone no matter of creed if they have respect for your religion then they would not push having sex with you or any intercourse until marriage.....
Reply 262
Come back here, shinytoy!

For Catholic practice specifics you will get a far more informed response here than you will in Religion D&D as the bulk of the membership there have very strange ideas about Catholicism that result for media manipulation.

And it gives them the opportunity to condemn us even more than we are already! :smile:

Now about the Stations of the Cross seeing as we are fast approaching the Lenten season.

I really enjoy the sequential prayers, kneeling and short hymn at each Station with the reflection of what Christ actually suffered for us. I would recommend that each member of our society tries to get to at least one session during Lent.

http://www.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/stations.html

Regarding other places in the world who carry out the Stations using 'live' props - yes, I'm sure there are some. I'll have a google and see what I can come up with.

Peace :smile:
Reply 263
In the Phillipines there are yearly re-enactments of the Stations of the Cross, where a different man is elected each year to play the part of Jesus.

In Knock, Co. Mayo in Ireland, the Stations of the Cross and the Rosary Procession are said each day in the open where there at big wooden crosses erected at each station. With the amount of rain that the west of Ireland gets, it is a real labour of devotion since you often get a good soaking whilst doing them!

I'm sure there are similar venues in this country too.
I would like to join this society, thanks very much .
Reply 265
recurring

It might be a good idea to pm shinytoy for inclusion on the membership list. :smile:
Reply 266
recurring

You can apply here.
Reply 267
Can I Join?

brought up in a catholic church and I currently go to a catholic church. even was an altar girl in america (they allow it there).

btw, i consider myself christian too.
Reply 268
Zinc11
Can I Join?

brought up in a catholic church and I currently go to a catholic church. even was an altar girl in america (they allow it there).

btw, i consider myself christian too.

Welcome! I've added you to the membership.

Don't you have any altar servers (acolytes) who are girls at your church? I can't remember how long ago since the first female altar servers were allowed, but it seems many years ago! :smile:
Yeah, since my parish was established (post-Vatican II) there have always been female servers. It's second nature. The Church does get criticised for being patriachal (excuse the spelling), yet this is surely better than falling to the whims of modern society. One thing will lead to anotherl as has been the case for the Anglican Church!
thats why i have left the Anglican church. did you know, only 7.5% of people attend church.

also its my confirmation coming soooooon!!!! im getting all excited im going to the cathedrl for the Rite of Election next sunday!!
Reply 271
shinytoy
thats why i have left the Anglican church. did you know, only 7.5% of people attend church.

also its my confirmation coming soooooon!!!! im getting all excited im going to the cathedrl for the Rite of Election next sun!day!

The Rite of Election usually takes place on first Sunday in Lent - is it Sunday of next week - and are you being confirmed on Easter Sunday?

I'ts wonderful to hear that you are so excited about your next step - wish lots of others had the same enthusiasm for their faith.
yawn
The Rite of Election usually takes place on first Sunday in Lent - is it Sunday of next week - and are you being confirmed on Easter Sunday?

I'ts wonderful to hear that you are so excited about your next step - wish lots of others had the same enthusiasm for their faith.

YEAAA! its on the 6th March (i think - next sunday) and a coach is coming to take all the candidates and catchumens to the cathedral!the Easter Vigil is saturday night before easter sunday and i will be confirmed then.
then in lent i need to go to weekly scrutiny and a service of reconciliation.

have you been to confession/reconciliation? what happens?

also do only catholics have pancake day cos of lent?
Reply 273
shinytoy
YEAAA! its on the 6th March (i think - next sunday) and a coach is coming to take all the candidates and catchumens to the cathedral!the Easter Vigil is saturday night before easter sunday and i will be confirmed then.
then in lent i need to go to weekly scrutiny and a service of reconciliation.

have you been to confession/reconciliation? what happens?

I shall remember you in my prayers at Eastertide.

I have been to confession many times and try to go at least once every three months or so. It is good for the soul! :smile: It frees us and facilitates our reconcilation not only with God but with others. Through confessing your sins, you look squarely at the sins you are guilty of, take responsibility for them and open yourself again to God and to the communion of the Church in order to make a new future possible.

Regular confession helps us to form our conscience, fight against temptation and allows ourselves to be healed by Christ. It also enables us to be merciful to others as Christ is merciful.

First, you spend some time examining your conscience, thinking about the wrong you have done and its effects on yourself, others and your relationship with God. Although you are confessing these sins through the priest, it is only God who can forgive these sins. You ask God to help you avoid these sins in the future (we can only ask and try - we are sinners after all). You make your confession with your whole heart and sorrow - Christ, through the priest, absolves you from your sin, the priest gives you a *Penance to do (*normally some prayers) and you must carry out your penance before your receive the Eucharist, so it's best to do it as soon as you've finished your confession.

I still remember vividly, my feelings of elation when I had made my First Confession at the age of 7. I came out of Church and thought to myself - if I were to die now I would go straight into the arms of Jesus. I still feel that sense of elation after Confession even now!

Shrove Tuesday - pancakes are eaten by all Christians, and probably lots of non-Christians too. It's like the celebration of Christmas or Easter - much celebrating but many people have forgotten or don't know why.
Reply 274
shinytoy

Of course not.
Reply 275
yawn
I shall remember you in my prayers at Eastertide.

I have been to confession many times and try to go at least once every three months or so. It is good for the soul! :smile: It frees us and facilitates our reconcilation not only with God but with others. Through confessing your sins, you look squarely at the sins you are guilty of, take responsibility for them and open yourself again to God and to the communion of the Church in order to make a new future possible.

Regular confession helps us to form our conscience, fight against temptation and allows ourselves to be healed by Christ. It also enables us to be merciful to others as Christ is merciful.

First, you spend some time examining your conscience, thinking about the wrong you have done and its effects on yourself, others and your relationship with God. Although you are confessing these sins through the priest, it is only God who can forgive these sins. You ask God to help you avoid these sins in the future (we can only ask and try - we are sinners after all). You make your confession with your whole heart and sorrow - Christ, through the priest, absolves you from your sin, the priest gives you a *Penance to do (*normally some prayers) and you must carry out your penance before your receive the Eucharist, so it's best to do it as soon as you've finished your confession.

I still remember vividly, my feelings of elation when I had made my First Confession at the age of 7. I came out of Church and thought to myself - if I were to die now I would go straight into the arms of Jesus. I still feel that sense of elation after Confession even now!

Shrove Tuesday - pancakes are eaten by all Christians, and probably lots of non-Christians too. It's like the celebration of Christmas or Easter - much celebrating but many people have forgotten or don't know why.

Hmmm, mine felt considerably different. I remember saying i had nicked cookies and that I didn't understand why I had to tell someone I had nicked them esp. when I didn't feel sorry in any way seeing as they were good cookies...
Reply 276
minimo
Hmmm, mine felt considerably different. I remember saying i had nicked cookies and that I didn't understand why I had to tell someone I had nicked them esp. when I didn't feel sorry in any way seeing as they were good cookies...

lol - perhaps your conscience had not developed sufficiently. Whilst it is reckoned that the age of reason occurs around age 7 it obviously differs from child to child.
Reply 277
Hmmm, I think it's a bit TOO overdeveloped now, I end up apologising a million times for things I didn't even do. :rolleyes:
Reply 278
yawn
Welcome! I've added you to the membership.

Don't you have any altar servers (acolytes) who are girls at your church? I can't remember how long ago since the first female altar servers were allowed, but it seems many years ago! :smile:

nope. i heard its more traditionally here in england, so they dont really have girl altar servers even though i guess it's now allowed.
Theres only 1 priest in my deanery who will not allow female alter servers out of about 10 so these conservative priests are a dying breed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending