The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by James A
Hi guys, thought I'd make a little thread here for the unit 5 chem exam for the upcoming January exams.

I am aware that there won't be many people on this particular thread, because this is a unit 5 paper, but let's see how this goes.

Any questions regarding this exam and pre exam discussion is all here :smile:

Hello there James, fellow resitter here :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Warlord
Hello there James, fellow resitter here :smile:

phew, I ain't on my own. How's it going? What did you get for unit 5 last year?
Reply 3
Original post by Warlord
I would rather not say :biggrin:

Well ok then, I Got 70% :colondollar:

Need about 73% for an A, will be retaking unit 4 as well just to confirm it. I do hate calculatios however, hence my results suffered. Unit 5 is going well, enjoying the theory this time round, and really mmersing myself in organic and transition, redox aint too bad either. Wbu?

Well ironically I got 73%, got 88/120 ums. For my A overall I need 103, but if the paper is good, I can definetly get 103 ums. The bit that lost me some marks on the unit 5 paper was the empirical formula related question, that was worth like 5 marks alone, but I stuffed that up nicely, there were some word questions that followed up from the 5 marker so lost marks there too.

I've always enjoyed the organic chemistry, I'm yet to revise over the electro chemistry and the ligand and complex ion chapter.

I've included the unit 5 paper we sat, incase you need it.
Reply 4
Original post by Warlord
I would have got my A with 88, just rub it in why dont you :rolleyes:

Ah ok, 103. Have you thought about retaking any As modules? I am sure that you may get a higher ums with that in tow. Yep, completely flopped the 5 marker, and then I failed Section C as well, completely swayed me. I am REALLY hoping we get some serious transition here, I revised them predominantly, only to be pleasantly suprised in the exam!

Ah, thanks a lot for the paper, did need it as well. To be honest, I have been pretty chill with revision. Did pretty much nothing during september, and only really started from mid october. Even then, seeing as this is the only subject I am retaking, it feels like I have so much time!

Yeah, but I thought I would keep it to just unit 5 for jan because I'm retaking three Biology exams (lol) in jan so the pressure would be too much. If I just miss out on my A again after improving on my unit 5 score I will probably do unit 2 in june. Unit 1 I got 98ums for my first attempt which was an A, unit 2 was 90ums and that was a B.

Original post by Warlord
Plus, where is everyone?! Is it just us two leading this thread? I feel honoured :cool:

I was browsing june and jan last year, you, effkay, nutterfrutter, thishonest were the mainstays, lets hope for something as epic this year, without having to incorporate june 2013 , ofc :colone:

mwhahaha, just us two, hopefully more will come along.

So you must be on a gap year yeah?
Reply 5
Original post by James A
Yeah, but I thought I would keep it to just unit 5 for jan because I'm retaking three Biology exams (lol) in jan so the pressure would be too much. If I just miss out on my A again after improving on my unit 5 score I will probably do unit 2 in june. Unit 1 I got 98ums for my first attempt which was an A, unit 2 was 90ums and that was a B.

mwhahaha, just us two, hopefully more will come along.

So you must be on a gap year yeah?

Yep, gap year, missed my Warwick offer :frown:
lol, Biology, thank god I am not doing that. LOL the heck? We got the same unit 1 and 2 mark :eek:

Is James me, but in a different reality? This is awesome!!! And again what! I would most probably do unit 2 again as well!
Reply 6
Original post by Warlord
Yep, gap year, missed my Warwick offer :frown:
lol, Biology, thank god I am not doing that. LOL the heck? We got the same unit 1 and 2 mark :eek:

Is James me, but in a different reality? This is awesome!!! And again what! I would most probably do unit 2 again as well!

lol I missed my East Anglia offer lol.

:eek::eek::eek::eek4: the same unit 1 and 2 mark, lol I'm starting to go cold now.

What course did you apply for
Reply 7
Original post by James A
lol I missed my East Anglia offer lol.

:eek::eek::eek::eek4: the same unit 1 and 2 mark, lol I'm starting to go cold now.

What course did you apply for

Lol, we are much closer than initially thought :tongue:

Last year? PPE. Must be honest though, I did become a bit disullusioned with the level of work required, so this year looking at management at either Warwick or LSE :smile: Taking up A2 maths btw, sitting the three mods in june. Now that is getting on my nerves! But ofc, first up, need this chem to go well, then hopefully those unconditionals come rolling in :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Warlord
Lol, we are much closer than initially thought :tongue:

Last year? PPE. Must be honest though, I did become a bit disullusioned with the level of work required, so this year looking at management at either Warwick or LSE :smile: Taking up A2 maths btw, sitting the three mods in june. Now that is getting on my nerves! But ofc, first up, need this chem to go well, then hopefully those unconditionals come rolling in :biggrin:

Nice, I applied for pharmacy. I've finished my maths A-level, was 1 ums off an A overall can you believe it. Got one of my papers remarked and it stayed the same annoyingly. So I'm probably gonna re-sit C2 in June. If I manage to get an A in chem and a B in Biology from the jan exams, then I will put alot of effort into getting an A* for maths, I can't wait lol
Reply 9
Original post by James A
Nice, I applied for pharmacy. I've finished my maths A-level, was 1 ums off an A overall can you believe it. Got one of my papers remarked and it stayed the same annoyingly. So I'm probably gonna re-sit C2 in June. If I manage to get an A in chem and a B in Biology from the jan exams, then I will put alot of effort into getting an A* for maths, I can't wait lol

1 mark?! Geez, thats cruel, Ye, I really suck at maths, dont get how I got A at as. Looking at doing c1 and 2 in may, getting the ums up. Is it true they seem/are much easier after having learnt 3 and 4? A* is freaking awesome in maths haha :cool:
Reply 10
Original post by Warlord
1 mark?! Geez, thats cruel, Ye, I really suck at maths, dont get how I got A at as. Looking at doing c1 and 2 in may, getting the ums up. Is it true they seem/are much easier after having learnt 3 and 4? A* is freaking awesome in maths haha :cool:

yeah, c1 and c2, are arguably the basics that help you progress through to C3 and C4. C3 and C4 makes AS maths look a walk in a palk, it really does lol, not exaggerating.
Reply 11
Original post by James A
yeah, c1 and c2, are arguably the basics that help you progress through to C3 and C4. C3 and C4 makes AS maths look a walk in a palk, it really does lol, not exaggerating.

Lol you are getting my hopes up, I will still end up with DD in C3 and 4. It would be awesome if we both got out first choice uni, we are essentialy one person, what with the exact same chem marks and all that :smile:.

Lol also, CMON people! I can see this thread is being viewed, we want more people to come forward! We cannot have a 50 odd page thread with just James and I! I mean, please :colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by James A
Hi guys, thought I'd make a little thread here for the unit 5 chem exam for the upcoming January exams.

I am aware that there won't be many people on this particular thread, because this is a unit 5 paper, but let's see how this goes.

Any questions regarding this exam and pre exam discussion is all here :smile:

aww you stole my thread xD
No, I was too lazy to create one in the last few weeks, lol.

I will resit Chemistry unit 5 (6CH05) and 6 (6CH08) in January, self teaching at home as an international & private edexcel candidate.. never went to a school so never had normal or laboratory classes, lol

Seems like school/college students in the UK are not 'allowed' to resit exams in January or some bullsh*t ;I read somewhere..

Original post by Warlord
Lol you are getting my hopes up, I will still end up with DD in C3 and 4. It would be awesome if we both got out first choice uni, we are essentialy one person, what with the exact same chem marks and all that :smile:.

Lol also, CMON people! I can see this thread is being viewed, we want more people to come forward! We cannot have a 50 odd page thread with just James and I! I mean, please :colondollar:

Now, you know I exist xD

edit/
btw you guys go get an avatar, so it's easier to follow who is posting xD
--> vs
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Yorrap
aww you stole my thread xD
No, I was too lazy to create one in the last few weeks, lol.

I will resit Chemistry unit 5 (6CH05) and 6 (6CH08) in January, self teaching at home as an international & private edexcel candidate.. never went to a school so never had normal or laboratory classes, lol

Seems like school/college students in the UK are not 'allowed' to resit exams in January or some bullsh*t ;I read somewhere..

Now, you know I exist xD

edit/
btw you guys go get an avatar, so it's easier to follow who is posting xD
--> vs

Um well, I think it is dependent on the college. If you ask to use the college just as an exam centre, and pay for the exam, I do not see why they would say no. My old sixth form is allowing me to sit the chemistry there in january, and my maths exams there in June, so no problem really. How has revision been going? Self studying as well :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Warlord
Um well, I think it is dependent on the college. If you ask to use the college just as an exam centre, and pay for the exam, I do not see why they would say no. My old sixth form is allowing me to sit the chemistry there in january, and my maths exams there in June, so no problem really. How has revision been going? Self studying as well :smile:

Well, if you use the place as an exam centre, that should be okay, but seems like they won't allow people to resit earlier exams if they are still attending the school/college or something like that...

In my case, I decide which exam I take, when I take them and how many, not someone else.. :P

I am currently reading my book and other related stuff, trying to digest everything xD.
Reply 15
Original post by Yorrap
Well, if you use the place as an exam centre, that should be okay, but seems like they won't allow people to resit earlier exams if they are still attending the school/college or something like that...

In my case, I decide which exam I take, when I take them and how many, not someone else.. :P

I am currently reading my book and other related stuff, trying to digest everything xD.

Hmm, not sure, my sixth form allowed me to take Jan mods during year 13, who knows.Good, be assertive :smile:
I'm on a gap year and did this exam in June, James A knows me :wink: so I'll try and help to. Unit 5 was actually my favourite unit :lol:
Reply 17
Original post by This Honest
I'm on a gap year and did this exam in June, James A knows me :wink: so I'll try and help to. Unit 5 was actually my favourite unit :lol:

That question where we had to work out the empirical formula or something from some data (you remember that 5 marker dont you? :cool: ) and then some word questions followed it, but because i screwed the calculation, i couldnt do them. So I reckon that would have been my A overall done and dusted :lol: That would have given me my extra 7 marks :rant:
Original post by James A
That question where we had to work out the empirical formula or something from some data (you remember that 5 marker dont you? :cool: ) and then some word questions followed it, but because i screwed the calculation, i couldnt do them. So I reckon that would have been my A overall done and dusted :lol: That would have given me my extra 7 marks :rant:

That pissed me of so much, did the calculation correctly but of course nitrogen is diatomic :facepalm:
Yeah the questions that followed also screwed it up :colonhash:
I'm sure you would have achieved method marks?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The 5 mark question was easy. :colone:

:beard:

Latest

Trending

Trending