The Student Room Group

Marfans Syndrome and Elite Fitness Blog.

Hello.

I will start by talking a bit about where I stand currently.

Recently been diagnosed with Marfan's Syndrome, a genetic tissue disorder that means I am at risk of aortic aneurysm among other things. As a consequence I have been given advice not to do any isometric exercise or weight lifting, as the sudden spike in blood pressure this involves massively increases my risks.

Before my diagnosis I was your typical skinny guy wanting to get in shape. Having had an eating disorder I started out at 6'4 and 57kg, and through strength training (5x5 mainly) gained weight and was sitting at around 77kg, squat 100kg, dead 140kg, Bench 85kg, Clean and press 55kg all for 5x5. Obviously now I am no longer able to peruse strength training, which makes any kind of bodybuilding activity fairly limited. Cardio wise, I was in fairly good shape, this summer running the length of Wales, which was 25 miles per day over 9 days, running 20-25 miles each day in 4.5-5.5 hours.

I am allowed to do very light weights, cardio and sports, and I aim to work hard in conjunction with a good diet to be as fit as I physically can be.

I will be using a 20kg barbell with high reps, 2x 10kg dumbells, an exercise bike, swimming pool and will run.

My aims are to develop my body aesthetically, currently sit at 70kg and would like to be at 85-90 in an ideal world. I will also aim to run a 50 mile race next year, and to be swimming at a good level several times per week.

*Disclaimer* I do not advocate this type of routine for anyone with any condition, speak to your doctor first. I have at the moment got a healthy heart.
Reply 1
**comment removed for indecency*
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HFerguson
If you can keep your blood pressure under control, either by sheer luck or use of other pharmaceuticals, if I were you, I would seriously considering doing anabolic steroids. And yes, this comment is probably going to get edited and I may even be banned. Come the **** at me mods.

You need an award for the funniest poster on the fitness forum.
Reply 3
Original post by areebmazhar
You need an award for the funniest poster on the fitness forum.

not sure if you're laughing with me or at me..
Original post by HFerguson
not sure if you're laughing with me or at me..

With you...you have some good one-liners. I'm still laughing at what you said in your cardiovascular lecture about anabolic steroids :biggrin:
Reply 5
Making good progress, currently up at 6am each day and do 20 miles on the exercise bike on 5-8/10 resistance variably, then an hour of very light weights, very high reps each evening. Also started fencing once per week, awesome sport and really boosting my agility, reactions and cardio. Mainly compound movements, full body to failure. Im now using just a 10kg barbell, which might sound pathetic but is about what ive been told my limit is medically. Ranging from 50-100 reps. Need to get diet sorted next to catch up with my increased calorie needs. I tend to maintain at 2500-3000, so need to push it to 4000kcal daily. Motivation very high, already seeing progress, particulally in my deltoids. ECG tomorow to check the heart is still in good shape.
Reply 6
Diet is back on track, loads more eggs and upping the intake generally. I don't buy into the idea of protein shakes and supplements, so just eat a big and healthy diet. Lost a couple of kg I think through all the extra cardio, abs have shredded recently so need to up the calories more yet. Motivation still high, really seeing my performance improve which is so encouraging. As long as I can keep it up without losing weight and preferably gaining weight I will be happy. 85 mile hill run over 3 days coming up in May, so will start to think about reintroducing some running soon.
Reply 7
Original post by Double Agent
Diet is back on track, loads more eggs and upping the intake generally. I don't buy into the idea of protein shakes and supplements, so just eat a big and healthy diet. Lost a couple of kg I think through all the extra cardio, abs have shredded recently so need to up the calories more yet. Motivation still high, really seeing my performance improve which is so encouraging. As long as I can keep it up without losing weight and preferably gaining weight I will be happy. 85 mile hill run over 3 days coming up in May, so will start to think about reintroducing some running soon.

Think of shake as powderd food as that's what it is
Reply 8
Bit of an update for you guys! I've now moved to a new city and am working 70 hours a week so gym has been really tough to fit in. I've moved back to a pretty standard back/bi, chest/tri, shoulders/abs, legs split, and although I cant lift heavy because of the risk it puts me under Im doing several sets of 10-30 reps, lots of drop sets and sets to failure which I really enjoy. Fustrating that I cant get back into strength training, but we play the cards we're dealt I guess. Finally sorted my diet out, I have some new protein ordered and have done an almighty lidl shop for eggs, milk and tinned veg/beans so will be eating big and fairly clean while training 1-3 times a week in the gym. On days where I don't have time for the gym I will fit in press ups and wide grip pull ups at home to keep me ticking over. The goal is to see some gains in size and endurance by Christmas, and build up some consistency which is something ive always struggled with. Come the new year I'll be planning more endurance challenges and getting the swimming going!
Wow, this is really impressive. I also have Marfans, but i was diagnosed at 2 days old (long family history) so i was always discouraged from this kind of heavy exercise due to the risks that it brings. (your cardiologist etc must be pretty lenient to not be pressuring you out of this, mine literally said that 30 mins fast walking on flat was the extent of my abilities, though of course marfans differs greatly in-between cases)
But yeah well done, how is the building up muscle mass going since that is much more difficult with marfans?
Good luck/stay safe

Quick Reply

Latest