The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Could we conceivably treat paedophilia on the NHS?

Paedophiles are widely regarded as being mentally sick. Therefore, after they have served the appropriate sentence (required to satisfy public revenge) is there not more that could be done to treat and rehabilitate them in order to minimise their likelihood of re-offending? Could there not be some sort of training or treatment programme offered to offenders to convert them in a to a more socially acceptable jack the lad, bird (adult) pulling type of persona?
Reply 1
Original post by bennies4life
Paedophiles are widely regarded as being mentally sick. Therefore, after they have served the appropriate sentence (required to satisfy public revenge) is there not more that could be done to treat and rehabilitate them in order to minimise their likelihood of re-offending? Could there not be some sort of training or treatment programme offered to offenders to convert them in a to a more socially acceptable jack the lad, bird (adult) pulling type of persona?

This is what you mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEt3-kuVl5Y

Yes, I think that sex offenders should be locked up indefinatly. Or until a time they are deemed safe to return to society. Which would be after extensive long term testing.

What they are doing in the documentry I linked is basically what I agree with.
Reply 2

i think the ones who have molestered children or predatory paedophiles with no remorse or guilt for their actions, should be used as human guinea pigs for medical testing (cures for cancer, aids, etc).

it would solve 3 problems in one-

- more accurate results, as animals react differently to medications than humans do.

- would stop innocent animals being subjected to a life of misery and torture

- suitable punishment for those who have ruined a childs life (and possibly a deterrant or a reason for paedos to get help rather than carry on)
Reply 3

I'm not sure why people don't know this, but sex offenders go through the Sex Offender Treatment Program and various other program's before they are released. These program's are administered by psychologists in prisons. They appear to contribute to a fall in recidivism rates.

Do people really think we'd let them out to just continue as before without trying to address their issues? In the UK prison is not punishment, it is rehabilitation with the aim to make the public safer. We rehabilitate all types of offenders if we can. Some will be released and go on to reoffend, but short of an on/off switch there's not much else we can do. These treatment programs are always being revised and developed too.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
There is no way to "cure" pedophilia they are born with it, it would be like trying to cure a gay man it just isn't posibble (before anyone moans i'm not calling gays peadophiles) the only way to stop paedophilic urges would be to castrate them physically so they can't have any sexual thoughts at all but we can't exactly forcibly castrate someone can we. Paedophiles should be given the option to be castrated though in exchange for shorter jail sentences. I don't believe convicted peadophiles who have actually had sex with children should ever be released from prison (unless they agree to be castrated) they are never going to be "rehabilitated" it's just too big a risk to let them back into society why should some other kid have to suffer because of them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Cattty
i think the ones who have molestered children or predatory paedophiles with no remorse or guilt for their actions, should be used as human guinea pigs for medical testing (cures for cancer, aids, etc).

it would solve 3 problems in one-

- more accurate results, as animals react differently to medications than humans do.

- would stop innocent animals being subjected to a life of misery and torture

- suitable punishment for those who have ruined a childs life (and possibly a deterrant or a reason for paedos to get help rather than carry on)

Just say they are mentally ill, do you really think subjecting them to unsafe medical trials is appropriate? And even if they are guilty, I find it hard to value their lives as less than an animals. They're still people, and should be treated as such, whatever they've done in their lives.
Reply 6
Original post by Shabalala
There is no way to "cure" pedophilia they are born with it, it would be like trying to cure a gay man it just isn't posibble (before anyone moans i'm not calling gays peadophiles) the only way to stop paedophilic urges would be to castrate them physically so they can't have any sexual thoughts at all but we can't exactly forcibly castrate someone can we. Paedophiles should be given the option to be castrated though in exchange for shorter jail sentences. I don't believe convicted peadophiles who have actually had sex with children should ever be released from prison (unless they agree to be castrated) they are never going to be "rehabilitated" it's just too big a risk to let them back into society why should some other kid have to suffer because of them.

They can still be released and monitored, giving them the chnace to prove themselves as changed. I think until we understand exactly what is wrong with them, we shouldn't condemn them for their whoel lives.
Reply 7
Original post by Alix23
Just say they are mentally ill, do you really think subjecting them to unsafe medical trials is appropriate? And even if they are guilty, I find it hard to value their lives as less than an animals. They're still people, and should be treated as such, whatever they've done in their lives.

if they are ill and want to be treated, then no its not appropriate. im talking about the paedophiles who lack any remorse for their actions and enjoy what they do and will do it again.

even animals dont rape their young, so no i think their life should be seen as less than animals. they have done nothing to deserve it. paedophiles/child molesterers on the other hand have. we could find cures for diseases so much more easily (and ethically- more people have sympathy for animals than paedophiles) plus, if you were a paedophile you would be more likely to get help/treatment if that was the punishment for acting on your thoughts/desires
Reply 8
Original post by Shabalala

Many people sexually offend against children because they have been sexually offended against themselves. Although its arguable as to whether they are actually paedophiles. Many truly believe that the child initiated sexual contact and that children are sexually aware. In combatting these issues correctly, you *can* rehabilitate a person who has sexually offended a child.

I'm not protecting paedos or anything before anyone says, I cannot comprehend being involved with the abuse of a child (or any other person) but there is always help to be offered.

Reply 9
Original post by Cattty

even animals dont rape their young, so no i think their life should be seen as less than animals.

Lol animals do 'rape' their young, if you can call it that. I was once looking into breeding guinea pigs. The father has to be removed if any young females are born as he will mate with them ASAP.

Some animals frequently eat their young too, fish being the obvious one there (crocodiles too I think?).

This just sounds like an odd argument to make tbh.

Reply 10
Yes lol animals do all kinds of **** like that. Pretty much all animal sex is "rape" by our standards and there are obviously no barriers of age or relatedness.
Reply 11
Original post by Fuzzpig
I'm not sure why people don't know this, but sex offenders go through the Sex Offender Treatment Program and various other program's before they are released. These program's are administered by psychologists in prisons. They appear to contribute to a fall in recidivism rates.

Do people really think we'd let them out to just continue as before without trying to address their issues? In the UK prison is not punishment, it is rehabilitation with the aim to make the public safer. We rehabilitate all types of offenders if we can. Some will be released and go on to reoffend, but short of an on/off switch there's not much else we can do. These treatment programs are always being revised and developed too.

Absolutely the biggest scourge to public safety is the lack of rehabilitation of sex offenders the idea that this Country caters for sex offenders is laughable,maybe a few get treatment of a limited kind but trust me help in any fashion is an empty political pledge.

Latest

Trending

Trending