The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fleur_charms
Well after getting Asda Customer Services on Asda Wolverhampton's case, I now definitely have a job again! They admitted it had been handled terribly and apologised. They are having an intake of home shopping people towards the end of the month so I'll start with them.

I have a couple of other interviews before then though so may not even have to work there! But I don't think George will be so bad. I'd much rather a 9-5 though :P

I worked in George last Christmas, it's a nice department to work in :smile: The work is pretty unstrenuous and there's no mad xmas food shoppers!
Original post by TeaAndSugar
Hey everyone :smile:

I've just got a job at Asda working in the home shopping department (as a personal shopper I think), I was wondering if anyone had done this before or knew what it would involve? :smile:

Also, does anyone know what the night pay is and what times it's given?

Thanks a lot!

Night pay times are 10pm til 6am, i think the pay is around 7.50~7.80 but i'm not 100% sure
Original post by TeaAndSugar
Hey everyone :smile:

I've just got a job at Asda working in the home shopping department (as a personal shopper I think), I was wondering if anyone had done this before or knew what it would involve? :smile:

Also, does anyone know what the night pay is and what times it's given?

Thanks a lot!

Home shopping finish at around five during the day I think, some starts can be real early though, I think it's anywhere between 3-6am, most at ours start at 5am

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
what does Asda expect from it's employees in the terms of quality and deadlines.

Is the requirements for for attendance the same as other work places and in lateness or absence.

what is the importance for health and safety and could you give an example please.

How do you meet Asda's standards for image and why is it importtant.

I'm doing research on a course am on and I chose on a retail, I choose Asda and I need some help if you could please.
So I applied a couple of Weeks ago, my mate has got a rejection and she applied a week or so after me, I got an email last night saying that they'll look carefully and have given me a ref number, does this mean I have a chance?
Normally I get a no straight /:

What's the pay for under 18? And what's the best department to work in?

Thanks guys
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bytheweekend
Firstly, congrats on getting the job! :biggrin:

I had my induction day on a friday - it started at 9am and finished at 3pm. (Some people have induction over the course of a few days - but it must vary from store to store!!) At my induction, if you were applying for a checkouts job, all of the applicants for the role of checkouts were invited back the following day for roughly 6hrs of training. If they couldn't make the Saturday, they were asked to come in on Sunday. The rest of us were told to simply start working as soon as your next shift came up - ie, I was given a job in George and had my induction on Friday, my next shift was Saturday - so I began the day after the induction. One other person applying for George was only working Tuesdays, so she would go in for the first Tuesday after induction. It was a very quick starting process!! Of course this may vary store to store, but they are eager to get everybody working to sort out the payments and wages etc. :wink:

Hope this helps and best of luck with being able to make the concert! x

Should have checked this sooner, this was really helpful :smile: Thankfully finished at around half 5 so even had half an hour to get ready. Had another induction today which was another 3 hours, did you get paid for these inductions? Starting on checkouts on Saturday, 12 till 5 with no training :/ I'm assuming someone will show me the ropes then just try my best but Saturday afternoon is a pretty busy time to start! haha. Anyway thanks again!
Original post by elstoleno
Bad luck! Same happened to me - my magic event was the day of the rescheduled Blink 182 show!

My induction lasted all day for two days so I don't know about yours with it starting at 2!
And I started work the second day of induction, followed by another shift the day after.

Ended up being 3 hours and a half yesterday, and same again today so got to the concert on time, good times. Did you not get to go to the show at all then?? Yeah I've got my first shift Saturday afternoon even though I've not even touched or looked at a checkout yet, doing well...
Original post by Dancingyoyo
Home shopping finish at around five during the day I think, some starts can be real early though, I think it's anywhere between 3-6am, most at ours start at 5am

Original post by flyingcat
Night pay times are 10pm til 6am, i think the pay is around 7.50~7.80 but i'm not 100% sure

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by livelovelaugh6
Ended up being 3 hours and a half yesterday, and same again today so got to the concert on time, good times. Did you not get to go to the show at all then?? Yeah I've got my first shift Saturday afternoon even though I've not even touched or looked at a checkout yet, doing well...

Oh thats good then :smile:
I got there as doors were opening so it wasnt too bad, I just didnt get onto the barrier :frown:

Let me know how it goes!
I was wondering if someone could help me with this,

I was due to get my first set of wages from Asda today but they're not in my account. Should I phone in and ask about it (I'm off today) or just wait until tomorrow to ask in person?

Also, will I have to wait until the next pay day to get the wages I was supposed to get today?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by heysaturdaysun
I was wondering if someone could help me with this,

I was due to get my first set of wages from Asda today but they're not in my account. Should I phone in and ask about it (I'm off today) or just wait until tomorrow to ask in person?

Also, will I have to wait until the next pay day to get the wages I was supposed to get today?

Happened to me as well last month. Speak to personal when you go into tomorrow and they will check to see if they have you details wrong on there system, if not then like me it was the payroll company. They phoned them up and I had to wait around a week and two days to get paid, although I finally did. Get your wage slip tomorrow and also take in your bank card and a mini statement to prove you've not had anything go into our account! I've been paid properly today though so it will only be a one time thing :smile:

CALLING AL CASH OFFICE COLLEGUES!!
Hi,i recently got a job at an asda store working in cash office i will be working at a new store once it opens but in the mean time im working at a existing asda store to gain training.ITS BEEN SIX WEEK AND I HAVENT REALLY GOT THE GRASP OF IT.Could someone pleaseee kindly explain to me what a 'till lift' is and 'CFT' etc...just sme info for me which will help me understand cash office more! ill be starting in the new store very soon! and worried
thankyou x
Hi there,

Just wondering if you could give me a bit of advice..

Im a Christmas Temp Colleague working on Checkouts and my contract began on the 24th October. Yesterday I had a blinding migrane and I had to call in sick (this was my first ever sickness call) as I couldn't open my eyes because of the pain - my migraines are 90% due to light and sound sensitivity. I had to get my fiance to call in sick for me, as I spent all day trying to get rid of it by taking painkillers, lying in a dark room and sleeping. I made sure to give Asda lots of notice before my shift was due to start and my fiance explained to the guy on the phone that I wouldn't be able to answer the call back because I was trying to sleep it off. I'm worried about going into work next though as I've heard you go to a meeting for being off sick?? What happens in one of these?

I just don't want them to fire me :frown:
Don't worry about it at all. At our store they have a phone as you walk in and it says on it 'been off sick? Dial ... And let us know how you're doing', if your store is like that then dial the number and they'll sort it, if not just let someone from personal know you're back. Your manager will most likely have to conduct a 'back to work interview' it's not what it sounds like though, you basically have a form filled in and you explain to them why you was off, they fill it out, put it in your file and that's basically everything. It sounds all formal but no one really bothers much about them!

I've been invited to one of the Asda Magic interviews - I'm guessing lots of you will have been to one so what can I expect? :smile: what type of things do you have to do and what questions are asked? I am terrible at maths so just hoping I don't panic if there are any more numeracy type tests! Also.. one last question... should I just wear casual clothes? (sorry for the overload of questions, I'm quite desperate to get a job!)

Also, I applied for a really small shop and the event is at a larger different one.. is this common? :tongue:
Original post by ktlaurenroe
I've been invited to one of the Asda Magic interviews - I'm guessing lots of you will have been to one so what can I expect? :smile: what type of things do you have to do and what questions are asked? I am terrible at maths so just hoping I don't panic if there are any more numeracy type tests! Also.. one last question... should I just wear casual clothes? (sorry for the overload of questions, I'm quite desperate to get a job!)

Also, I applied for a really small shop and the event is at a larger different one.. is this common? :tongue:

It isn't really as bad as it seems. I was so nervous for mine but as long as you co-operate and join in with conversation with the other people in the interview, everything should run smoothly.
In my session we had an ice breaker (getting to know the person next to you and then introducing them to the group) then another group activity where we had to present three ideas about how Asda could work better within the community and then finally a group building task where we built a new Asda store out of straws (this was probably the most fun part.)

I had my one to one interview the same day (all of us did) but I know a lot of people are usually phoned back for those elsewhere.

Don't worry about tests, although yours could be different I don't think they would do them. I think it's more about getting to know how you work with other people.

Wear smart/casual clothes. I just wore black trousers, black top, blazer and a scarf. Most people in my session were dressed smart (suits, etc.)

Overall I think it is a good few hours, just make sure to seem confident (not over-confident, though) participate and talk to those around you.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dancingyoyo
Happened to me as well last month. Speak to personal when you go into tomorrow and they will check to see if they have you details wrong on there system, if not then like me it was the payroll company. They phoned them up and I had to wait around a week and two days to get paid, although I finally did. Get your wage slip tomorrow and also take in your bank card and a mini statement to prove you've not had anything go into our account! I've been paid properly today though so it will only be a one time thing :smile:

Thanks for the advice - turns out all the other temps hadn't been paid either. I'm not sure what has actually happened but I'm expecting emergency pay on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll get it this time! :smile:
Original post by heysaturdaysun
It isn't really as bad as it seems. I was so nervous for mine but as long as you co-operate and join in with conversation with the other people in the interview, everything should run smoothly.
In my session we had an ice breaker (getting to know the person next to you and then introducing them to the group) then another group activity where we had to present three ideas about how Asda could work better within the community and then finally a group building task where we built a new Asda store out of straws (this was probably the most fun part.)

I had my one to one interview the same day (all of us did) but I know a lot of people are usually phoned back for those elsewhere.

Don't worry about tests, although yours could be different I don't think they would do them. I think it's more about getting to know how you work with other people.

Wear smart/casual clothes. I just wore black trousers, black top, blazer and a scarf. Most people in my session were dressed smart (suits, etc.)

Overall I think it is a good few hours, just make sure to seem confident (not over-confident, though) participate and talk to those around you.

Good luck! :smile:

Yeah hopefully it won't be too bad! Just worried about having a mental block or just not being able to do the task or something :tongue: that or generally messing up the interview. I'm sure it'll be fine though, thanks :h:
Reply 2638
Managed to get myself a temp Christmas job at Asda, I applied for two jobs and had my 'have a go' on the checkout, I got my hours though (15 a week) and although our Asda closes at 10pm on a Saturday I'm working 9pm-2am so am wondering if I'm working on the checkouts still, my job title is Services Colleague. I've tried google and there's nowhere to say what services colleague does as a job description. Is anyone on here one and can tell me what I'm going to be doing?! Thanks!! X
Original post by Zooms
Managed to get myself a temp Christmas job at Asda, I applied for two jobs and had my 'have a go' on the checkout, I got my hours though (15 a week) and although our Asda closes at 10pm on a Saturday I'm working 9pm-2am so am wondering if I'm working on the checkouts still, my job title is Services Colleague. I've tried google and there's nowhere to say what services colleague does as a job description. Is anyone on here one and can tell me what I'm going to be doing?! Thanks!! X

Think you'll be taking back left items etc.
I work til 5 when our store closes at 4 on a Sunday its its pretty much just tidy and leave for us so we never stay til 5, but i'm on bakery so it could be entirely different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending