The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool Graduate Entry Medicine 2013 GEM A101 Thread

Hey,

Thought I would start this thread for people applying to Liverpool GEM 2013, primarily to share experiences but also to minimise my time spent trawling and stalking people, lol.

I've got a 1.1 BSc from University of Edinburgh in Biological Sciences

Healthcare Experience: weekly volunteer at care home and at Birmingham's Children hospital, 4 weeks hospital placements

Good Luck Everyone

Kane
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!

I am so glad you've set this up as I was stalking the A100 thread - thanks.

I'm really worried about liverpool as I have a 2.1 - 65%, and a GCSE score of 16, don't think I'll be hearing from them in a while. I didn't realise until reading the forums that they tend to only interview candidates with 17-18pts, but I guess it makes sense, the competition is strong.

I have various healthcare experiences, with one long term volunteer placement so I think from experience I'd be ok, but the academics let me down.

Good luck to you!
Reply 2
Thanks for creating the thread Kane. I haven't had any other correspondence from Liverpool apart from a request for copies of my academic transcript/degree certificate and a "thank you for applying" letter in the post. Good luck guys!
Reply 3
Hi everyone :smile:

I applied to Liverpool GEM and 5 year courses, haven't heard anything yet except a request for degree mark transcripts.

I have a 1st in Biological Science from Liverpool, GCSE score 18/18, good work experience (work as a GP receptionist part time since 16, trained as a phlebotomist this summer, various shadowing) but my volunteer work probably lets me down. I haven't got any long term voluntary work but hoping my PS will be enough!
Reply 4
Original post by emilyi
Hi everyone :smile:

I applied to Liverpool GEM and 5 year courses, haven't heard anything yet except a request for degree mark transcripts.

I have a 1st in Biological Science from Liverpool, GCSE score 18/18, good work experience (work as a GP receptionist part time since 16, trained as a phlebotomist this summer, various shadowing) but my volunteer work probably lets me down. I haven't got any long term voluntary work but hoping my PS will be enough!

Im really worried, haven't heard anything other than a thank you letter. Did you enter all your module marks into UCAS ??
Reply 5
Original post by Kane_carter
Im really worried, haven't heard anything other than a thank you letter. Did you enter all your module marks into UCAS ??

I know I've replied to you already, but for other people who might be reading, yes I did enter all my module marks from my degree into UCAS, from all three years, totalling 40 modules :smile:
Reply 6
Hey, Im still in limbo too! haven't heard anything other than a "we have your application" letter.

Hoping that they might not need to see my transcript because I never scored lower than 65% on any of my modules - hence they dont need to know the weighting because my average mark for my degree would always add up to greater than 65%, if that makes sense! probably a bit of a long short but hopefully.

On the plus side got a letter this morning (no email) inviting me for an interview at Birmingham. Excited but really want a chance to show Liverpool what im made of !!!

Stats - First in Biomedical sciences, AAA in A level Bio/Chem/Business , B in As in Eng Lit, 17/18 GCSE have 11, assume and hope they take the best 9, not the worst.

Experience - usual really Care home experience, disable camp mentor, shadowing etc

Does anyone know when they stop interviewing for Liverpool???? looking on a few of the threads last year they dont mention anything about interviews after DEC.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by woowoo1234
Hey, Im still in limbo too! haven't heard anything other than a "we have your application" letter.

Hoping that they might not need to see my transcript because I never scored lower than 65% on any of my modules - hence they dont need to know the weighting because my average mark for my degree would always add up to greater than 65%, if that makes sense! probably a bit of a long short but hopefully.

On the plus side got a letter this morning (no email) inviting me for an interview at Birmingham. Excited but really want a chance to show Liverpool what im made of !!!

Stats - First in Biomedical sciences, AAA in A level Bio/Chem/Business , B in As in Eng Lit, 17/18 GCSE have 11, assume and hope they take the best 9, not the worst.

Experience - usual really Care home experience, disable camp mentor, shadowing etc

Does anyone know when they stop interviewing for Liverpool???? looking on a few of the threads last year they dont mention anything about interviews after DEC.

I typed a reply to this hours ago but it doesn't look like it posted for some reason!

Anyway, what I said was I also got an interview for Birmingham! What day is yours? Mine's January 10th, 12pm.

I don't know how good the transcript request was, I sent it 3 weeks ago but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully we'll all hear from Liverpool soon! It's my old uni so I'll feel a bit betrayed if I don't even get an interview! I don't think they stop interviewing after December, I'm sure I've seen people from previous years getting interviews up until March.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by emilyi

Anyway, what I said was I also got an interview for Birmingham! What day is yours? Mine's January 10th, 12pm.

Hey mine was supposed to be on the 17th but having to re-schedule as my sister is getting married in Australia, bit worried because we are away for 2 week up until the 25th Jan. hope they understand but its really bad timing as more than likely thats when my other interview offers will be, thats if I get anymore.

I think any information - like a transcript request - showing that they are actively looking and investigating your UCAS form can only be a really positive step! plus the fact that you got a 1.1 means you'll be completely meet the entry requirements. Looking through old threads, all the people i saw getting transcript requests were invited for interview and most 80% got offers. However that might be more of a reflection of the type of candidates that use the TRS

Were the interviews for GEM at Liverpool, as I have never come across any, only those who said they had interviews in December. I know the student room doesn't represent all candidates, but i find it strange that i've never seen any new members join and say i have an interview for liverpool in Jan or Feb.

Researching online people heard last year by email on the 23/24/25 November. so if successful not long to go. I hope we all hear soon.
Reply 9
Hey mine was supposed to be on the 17th but having to re-schedule as my sister is getting married in Australia, bit worried because we are away for 2 week up until the 25th Jan. hope they understand but its really bad timing as more than likely thats when my other interview offers will be, thats if I get anymore.

I think any information - like a transcript request - showing that they are actively looking and investigating your UCAS form can only be a really positive step! plus the fact that you got a 1.1 means you'll be completely meet the entry requirements. Looking through old threads, all the people i saw getting transcript requests were invited for interview and most 80% got offers. However that might be more of a reflection of the type of candidates that use the TRS

Were the interviews for GEM at Liverpool, as I have never come across any, only those who said they had interviews in December. I know the student room doesn't represent all candidates, but i find it strange that i've never seen any new members join and say i have an interview for liverpool in Jan or Feb.

Researching online people heard last year by email on the 23/24/25 November. so if successful not long to go. I hope we all hear soon.

They obviously like you if you've got an interview so chances are they'll be fine with you rescheduling, it is bad timing but there's nothing you can do really and they'll know that.

I hope that is the case with transcript requests. Maybe it just takes them a long time to go through everyone after they've received a batch of transcripts or something.

I'm not sure if they were GEM or 5 year to be honest, now you've said that. Been looking here and NMM and you're right, a lot of people seem to get interviews on 23/24/25 Nov sort of time. Let's hope for the best in the next few days, keep our fingers crossed.
hey everyone

I also got an email a few weeks back requesting for my transcript

Hopefully this is a good sign

Good luck everyone

I hope we are not left in suspense for too long!!
Reply 11
Original post by miss_striver
hey everyone

I also got an email a few weeks back requesting for my transcript

Hopefully this is a good sign

Good luck everyone

I hope we are not left in suspense for too long!!

hey,

Im certain it's a really positive sign :smile::smile::smile:

Just wondering what your background is, like your degree, experience etc
Reply 12
Did you guys get any other correspondence after sending your degree stuff via email? I was hoping for a confirmation email or something :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by ScoobyB4
Did you guys get any other correspondence after sending your degree stuff via email? I was hoping for a confirmation email or something :biggrin:

Nope, nothing except the automatically generated 'we received your email' message!
hey,

Im certain it's a really positive sign :smile::smile::smile:

Just wondering what your background is, like your degree, experience etc

Hopefully it is a good sign, still waiting to hear though.

I did my degree in physiology. Did voluntary work in a hospital whilst an undergraduate and now currently working as a HCA.

:smile:
Reply 15
I have a feeling that the interview offers might come out tomorrow, as they normally like to give around 10 days notice and are usually released on a friday or thursday.

Hope we hear soon
Reply 16
I hope you're right, the tension this week has been driving me mad, checking my email obsessively hoping for something from Liverpool. Good luck everybody.
Reply 17
So, anyone heard anything from the pool?
Reply 18

Original post by ScoobyB4
So, anyone heard anything from the pool?

Nothing yet but i did get my original thank you for applying email at approx 19:00. So might hear soon. This wait is definitely the worst.

Heard anything from your other choices

I've got an interview at Birmingham - although had to re-arrange the date, still waiting to hear back

No Idea what to expect from the other 3 choices
(edited 11 years ago)
No not heard anything yet from Lpool!!

Yes this wait is definitely the worst!

Even more so when you have a smart phone and everytime you get an email your heart skips a beat

usually ends up being ads from Gap or amazon or something -____-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending