The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Coursework Help - The Crusades!

Hi everyone!

At the moment, I'm doing my A2 coursework on the Crusades with Edexcel. I've had no problems doing the first source question on the short-term significance of Saladin to the Crusades, but I'm having issues with the second question on the significance of the role of the individual on changing the nature and purpose of Crusading.

I know what I want to talk about, but I'm having problems structuring my argument (and keeping it under word count!!!!).

In terms of individuals, I'm talking about Urban II, Saladin and Richard I. In terms of other factors, I've planned to cover ideas surrounding the influence of religion (Holy war vs Jihad), military developments and how certain events such as the loss of Edessa and the Battle of Hattin had an impact.

The only issues I have are:

- What's the best way to structure the answer? (Some people have said to do it thematically, some chronologically, but I can't sort my notes into anything particularly helpful!)

- What's the easiest way of keeping my arguments concise and linked together without going over the word count? (At the moment, I've only covered individuals and religion, and I'm already at 1700 words out of 2000, which doesn't help!)

- Is it easier to edit as I go along (say, writing a section and then editing it down so that I end up with draft closer to the word limit from the start), or is it easier to write it all and edit at the end (which means being somewhere closer to 3000+ words, but being able to look at it as a whole when editing instead of in separate sections)?

If anyone could provide me with some advice, I'd be eternally grateful!!!!! :smile:
Reply 1
Hey, I know you posted this a while ago but I was wondering if you could please help me as I'm struggling with similar things?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending