The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

I got 120/120 on this paper so so happy, got my A* <3
Reply 2021
I got 96 ums in this paper , so an A which I'm so shocked about .. but I did only get a C in the other paper and I had got a B in AS but my teachers insisted I get a paper remarked and I got a C !! So now cos of that last year I only got a C over all :/

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
I got 88 UMS in this paper :tongue:
Reply 2023
I got 110 UMS in this paper as got 379 UMS overall but 200 of those are from AS because I got 100% at AS! I need one more ums for an A* so a remark it is! :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2024
I got an A in this paper and wrote 1 paragraph for the last question. It was honestly the hardest paper I did in my life - don't know how it's possible!
Reply 2025
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
I got 120/120 on this paper so so happy, got my A* <3

Wow well done you! especially as that paper was so hard. I just managed to scrape an A which was disappointing as I wanted an A* but I'm in uni so i'm happy :biggrin:
Got a B in this exam - no idea how! I only got a D in my other paper,but because I got an A at AS it averaged out as a B. Very pleased :biggrin: Well done to all who passed this (imo) horrid exam!
Reply 2027
I got 102/120! wooohooo so unexpected
Got Bs in both papers this year, but my 2 As last year pulled me up to an A overall.
Didnt like the papers too much but they could have been a lot worse :tongue:
Original post by jojayne
Wow well done you! especially as that paper was so hard. I just managed to scrape an A which was disappointing as I wanted an A* but I'm in uni so i'm happy :biggrin:

I think my teachers had an inkling that the big essay would be that sort of question so we spent ages going over how to answer research methods questions with theory aswell hehe, well done for getting into uni!
Was so surprised that I got an A in this paper, found it horrible!
Reply 2031
I think my teachers had an inkling that the big essay would be that sort of question so we spent ages going over how to answer research methods questions with theory aswell hehe, well done for getting into uni!

Ah I guess that's where my class went wrong :tongue: We revised the actual core crime and deviance chapters so much, the research methods with theory were left until quite last minute. Thank you, I'm guessing you did too! :smile:
Original post by jojayne
Ah I guess that's where my class went wrong :tongue: We revised the actual core crime and deviance chapters so much, the research methods with theory were left until quite last minute. Thank you, I'm guessing you did too! :smile:

yeah birmingham for psychology, needed AAB and got A*A*B so :biggrin:

ahh see we had two teachers, one teaching core topics and the other doing theory, we did barely anything on methods cause even questions like are which seemed like a methods question you're actually meant to use loads of theory, I went on about feminism, science, value freedom, funding loads of stuffss, I really liked this exam tbh hehe
Reply 2033
yeah birmingham for psychology, needed AAB and got A*A*B so :biggrin:

ahh see we had two teachers, one teaching core topics and the other doing theory, we did barely anything on methods cause even questions like are which seemed like a methods question you're actually meant to use loads of theory, I went on about feminism, science, value freedom, funding loads of stuffss, I really liked this exam tbh hehe

Wow that's so amazing and way higher than you needed to get in! Ah I was going to go Birmingham, but chose Nottingham instead.

Oh okay, we only had one teacher and the way we were taught was really interactive so we were split into groups and each one had to do a theory then explain it to the class. It was fun, but it didn't really help that we knew loads on the theory we were doing but hardly anything on the others!

Haha see I didn't do that! I can't remember the question exactly but I think I only mentioned two of the theories. I would've liked the exam too...if I revised the theories better! :tongue:
Reply 2034
Flopped the ethnicity question but managed to get 120/120!! A* overall I'm so chuffed!! Messed up a 9 marker on the SCLY3 exam too so I'm very pleasantly surprised!!
May I ask, do Social Policy come up in exam questions very often?
Reply 2036
Original post by Amaal
I find it so hilarious how I came out of this exam in June convinced I got a U and came out with 100%. Sad that unit 3 bummed me over though. I hope whoever marked my exam has an ink spillage all over their important documents.

What did u get for unit 3?
Hi everyone - I'm sitting this exam in January. It'll be my first A2 Sociology exam.
Can any of you give me some tips for this exam and possibly any information with regards to what came up in June?

Many thanks, Matthew
Reply 2038
Original post by matthewhernon
Hi everyone - I'm sitting this exam in January. It'll be my first A2 Sociology exam.
Can any of you give me some tips for this exam and possibly any information with regards to what came up in June?

Many thanks, Matthew

Ah, tips. Well, get straight to the point in your answers. Time is of essence. If my memory serves me right, you might have two essay questions in the crime section(?)
Focus on your analysis and evaluation because you get the most marks in these two areas. Always refer to the strength or weakness of an argument or theory, and whether it supports or disputes the notion proposed in the question.
I wish I could say more, but it feels like it's been so long since I did this exam, I actually can't remember what tips I shared with people, and the tips I took on myself.

Nevertheless, with theory and methods, you can easily gain most of your marks on this as there tends to be scope for sufficient analysis and evaluation as you can use theories to support each other or against each other, similarly, you can suggest better ideas and back them up with other theories that may seem "irrelevant" to the question. Also, get equipped with very good studies. I remember I used the Tea Room Trade study by Humphreys for a question - it showed that I read outside the textbook, etc. I spent more time reading studies for theory and methods to be honest - I found this section most intriguing! But make sure you're being relevant,,and you're answering the question.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what came up in June, but I know there was a question on Suicide (here, I talked about Atkinson, Douglas, Durkheim(first), and I think Taylor).
There was also a question on the environment and crime (I'm not too sure about this one, so don't take my word for it -- but it was mighty similar).
In theory and methods, the question was on the strength of interpretivism to study/look at society today. This one was a good question, I seemed to have a lot to write about, on both sides of the argument.

I'm sorry if I'm no help at all, I'm surprised I can't remember most of it seeing as this was my best exam, and I achieved an A on it.

Good luck, though.
Original post by Moyosola
Ah, tips. Well, get straight to the point in your answers. Time is of essence. If my memory serves me right, you might have two essay questions in the crime section(?)
Focus on your analysis and evaluation because you get the most marks in these two areas. Always refer to the strength or weakness of an argument or theory, and whether it supports or disputes the notion proposed in the question.
I wish I could say more, but it feels like it's been so long since I did this exam, I actually can't remember what tips I shared with people, and the tips I took on myself.

Nevertheless, with theory and methods, you can easily gain most of your marks on this as there tends to be scope for sufficient analysis and evaluation as you can use theories to support each other or against each other, similarly, you can suggest better ideas and back them up with other theories that may seem "irrelevant" to the question. Also, get equipped with very good studies. I remember I used the Tea Room Trade study by Humphreys for a question - it showed that I read outside the textbook, etc. I spent more time reading studies for theory and methods to be honest - I found this section most intriguing! But make sure you're being relevant,,and you're answering the question.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what came up in June, but I know there was a question on Suicide (here, I talked about Atkinson, Douglas, Durkheim(first), and I think Taylor).
There was also a question on the environment and crime (I'm not too sure about this one, so don't take my word for it -- but it was mighty similar).
In theory and methods, the question was on the strength of interpretivism to study/look at society today. This one was a good question, I seemed to have a lot to write about, on both sides of the argument.

I'm sorry if I'm no help at all, I'm surprised I can't remember most of it seeing as this was my best exam, and I achieved an A on it.

Good luck, though.

Took this exam in June. Nearly aced it with a few days revision, but I still got an A overall.

Q1 Suicide
Q2 Ethnicity and Crime
Q3 This was research method which I can't remember.
Q4 This was a confusing questions since it was like sociology as a science and interpretism if I remember correctly.

Wow, I have completely forgotten about Sociology ._.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending