The Student Room Group

Advice on how to stop biting my nails?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Is that helpful? The problem is that people who bite their nails can not help it, so suggesting that they are putting poo in their mouths is not really the point is it! And it's not going to help a nail biter telling them that. It'll only make a nail botherer more likely to bother their nails in fact.
Advice:
a - get a manicure
b - spray some spray plaster on the bothered bits.
c - put loads of hand cream on
d - don't beat yourself up about it
e - it'll go away eventually if you 'let it go' ie don't beat yourself up about it!
I'm an oldie on here so have a few years on most people so I know and I've been battling nail bothering for longer than I can care to mention. It goes in phases with me normally when I'm worried or stressed or maybe just that the weather is making my skin really dry and then I pick at my fingers. The habit can make me feel utterly miserable especially when it goes into a kind of obsessive compulsive direction. But the above has helped me enormously. I've been so embarassed having a manicure with nails like they've been. However manicurists are very sympathetic and with a bit of tlc, they grow back.
Don't be tempted to put acrylic false nails on because it makes the problem worse and damages the original nails.
Reply 21
I used to bite my nails. I would have thought the thought of ingesting **** would be enough. Personal preference I guess.. o.O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
How old is old, btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Although mentioning OCD, I actually have diagnosed OCD so that's probably why the thought of putting crap in my gob, along with studying biomed, stopped my nail biting (which was excessive due to OCD anxiety).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Half the time when biting your nails you are consciously unaware you're even doing so! So if in your mind you are perpetually nagging yourself not to bite your nails, this should help you to overcome the habit completely. - I know it worked for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How to let your nails grow :smile: First remember, It is not about nail biting But about Why to let them grow :smile: Your soul finds calm When your body grows nails To cover the tip of your finger Its an extension of your body A mirror of the fact you are growing Whatever
Just put something bitter over the nails so next you will taste something bitter and not bite them
Original post by rgray
Now exams are over I want to stop biting my nails. It's a very ingrained habit though and I've been doing it for years. Any advice/success stories haha xx
I had started to paint my nails to stop biting my nails and made a conscious effort to stop it because sometimes i stopped caring about the nail paint as well. Maybe you can try to remember the pain you suffer when your habit leads you to biting deep till the nail bed.....? that is always so painful
Original post by akiramira
How to let your nails grow :smile: First remember, It is not about nail biting But about Why to let them grow :smile: Your soul finds calm When your body grows nails To cover the tip of your finger Its an extension of your body A mirror of the fact you are growing Whatever

Original post by yousman3357
Just put something bitter over the nails so next you will taste something bitter and not bite them

Original post by shreya.pandey
I had started to paint my nails to stop biting my nails and made a conscious effort to stop it because sometimes i stopped caring about the nail paint as well. Maybe you can try to remember the pain you suffer when your habit leads you to biting deep till the nail bed.....? that is always so painful

Guys. This thread is six years old now. I really hope OP has sorted the problem after all this time..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending