The Student Room Group

Russians

Scroll to see replies

What do people think of Viktor Tsoi? I love him, since I got back from Russia this Summer can't stop listening to him.

bad quality video but would have loved to have been there. Used to live a street away from his house near the Arbat :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 961
Original post by nevergohalfpace
What do people think of Viktor Tsoi? I love him, since I got back from Russia this Summer can't stop listening to him.

bad quality video but would have loved to have been there. Used to live a street away from his house near the Arbat :smile:

literally LOTS of people seem to love him. personally, i find him a bit overrated - but nevertheless, he is a good musician. there are just a lot more good bands than Kino.
Original post by xe_nia
literally LOTS of people seem to love him. personally, i find him a bit overrated - but nevertheless, he is a good musician. there are just a lot more good bands than Kino.

KINO are my favourite Soviet band of all time, spent large portions of summer round a fire with a mate playing the guitar and us attempting to sign Tsoi songs aha. DDT are pretty decent too. In more recent times I like the rap group CENTR just to name one.
Reply 963
KINO are my favourite Soviet band of all time, spent large portions of summer round a fire with a mate playing the guitar and us attempting to sign Tsoi songs aha. DDT are pretty decent too. In more recent times I like the rap group CENTR just to name one.

Dare I say Kino are like soviet Beatles. They are really easy to play and sing, I did that too when I was starting guitar.
Musical taste of course depends on each person :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xe_nia
Dare I say Kino are like soviet Beatles. They are really easy to play and sing, I did that too when I was starting guitar.
Musical taste of course depends on each person :smile:

Yep, Ulyanovsk (where my family is from, I visit every summer), has a large rap scene. Lots of crime and drugs etc. Don't really hear old songs there.
Original post by Kondar
Hello Russians!! My name is Nic and Im an american, but I have travelled all over and I can honestly say that Russia is my favorite country. I love the Russian authors and even dropped out of Uni to live in work in Russia for a few months. I have taken a year of Russian at uni, but I cant remember where the keys are on my keyboard.... it would take me forever to type something.

I plan on attending Uni in either St Petes or Moscow next fall (2006) any reccomendations? Moscow is supposed to be a better Uni, but St Petes is one of the oldest in Russia....

Lol, Yankee. It should be the Confederate States of Amercia! I am a confederate amercian, not a Yankee Amercian!"
Anybody watched Lilya 4-Ever? Swedish film but all in Russian. One of the best films ever despite the grim plot.
Hey, my Russian friends, does anybody know how to enter russian shool and university names on UCAS's Apply? :smile:

For example, should it be " Moscow State University" or "Moskovsky Gosudarstvenny Universitet"?
"Srednyaa shkola #X" ili "School X" ?

HELP!:charm:
Reply 968
Original post by Sindbadthesailor
Hey, my Russian friends, does anybody know how to enter russian shool and university names on UCAS's Apply? :smile:

For example, should it be " Moscow State University" or "Moskovsky Gosudarstvenny Universitet"?
"Srednyaa shkola #X" ili "School X" ?

HELP!:charm:

I put everything in english. It worked

Good luck :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lNurl
I put everything in english. It worked

Good luck :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean like "Moscow State University", right? Thank you! :smile:
Reply 970

Yes, however, because I'm from Azerbaijan, I put Baku instead of Moscow, but i guess it is same.

Is Moscow State Uni any good?, my mum and step dad offered me a chance to go there but I don't want to.
Is Moscow State Uni any good?, my mum and step dad offered me a chance to go there but I don't want to.

MSU is very good in comparison to most russian universities, but I think compared to some average universities in the UK, it sucks big time. You might get lucky and meet some excellent professors with a keen interest in their subject; also, I know History of Art department is very nice; but still, russian educational system is stuck somewhere in the middle of 20th century and MSU, though admission is highly competitive (sometimes like 10 brilliant applicants per place, Oxbridge-like), is nowhere near top 100 unis in the world, and for a good reason.

Also, just like in any russian university, in MSU they'll make you work HARD. REALLY HARD. Sometimes, unfortunately, on subjects not even close to your chosen major, and that can be exhausting. Getting high grades is really difficult. And weird stuff happens sometimes: a friend of mine failed an exam because he openly stated he wasn't Christian to a prejudiced 1000-year-old professor; he had to repeat the whole year. Corruption is also a well-known aspect of russian educational system...

Overall, the uni is a mess just like everything else in Russia nowadays :smile: You might meet some great people though, like anywhere in the world. If you have the opportunity to go to any good uni in the UK or EU, in terms of perspective that must be better than going to MSU.
Привет всем.
Hi everyone. How are your Russian lessons and lectures are going on?
Reply 975
Hello from London-St-Petersburg!

Just thought I'd try and revive the thread forgetting the doom and gloom of this freezing April...
Is it ever going to get warmer????
Reply 976
Not so freezing anymore, its 4:30 am, 11 degrees Celsius outside, no wind, very good weather. I even went outside in a T-shirt and it was kinda warm!
heeeey, homesick Russian living in Spain here! We must return this thread to activity :smile:

And about an earlier discussion I can't help but add my little bit: SPB is waaaaaay better
Yes, I was born there, so I guess I am not 100% objective, but I cannot find any reason to not fall in love with its architecture, green spaces, just street atmosphere (not talking about creepy places at night here:s-smilie:)...

so go pleeeease, go back!:frown:
Anyone? Please? Haha No one?
Original post by SlyPie
Just shows that Russians don't understand sarcasm.

Kristin.

I am sorry, sarcasm or humour? Humour is ok which does not apply to the sarcasm.

Quick Reply