The Student Room Group

AQA Geography 4A - 19th June 2012 GEOG4A

How did the exam go for everyone today?
I know everyone's investigation was different, but how did everyone find Section B?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
it was a fairly easy paper this time and section B only includes usefulness of statistical analysis. Here is one of the sample answers for 5(c)
Data analysis in geography includes the presentation and scrutiny of charts and tables as well as more subjective written evaluations, which are non-quantitative. Statistical methods are the most analytical techniques and require data that are in numerical form. Some statistics, such as the mean and median, allow data sets to be described with a single value. Measures of dispersion, such as the standard deviation or the inter-quartile range, provide more detail, giving a precise idea of the spread or distribution of values around the mean and median. Analysing data in this way allows us to see patterns, trends and differences that otherwise might be hidden.
Inferential statistics such as correlation, the Chi-Squared test and the t-test take analysis a stage further. They are most important when investigations rely on sample data. Most samples represent only a tiny fraction of the statistical population so there is always a possibility that the outcomes could be due to chance. By using inferential statistics we can say exactly what the likelihood is that a result has occurred in this way. This allows us to have confidence in our results. We can say, for example, that our results are statistically significant, meaning that there is no more than a one in 25 probability that a difference or relationship between variables is down to chance.
Correlation is a particularly useful statistical tool because it tells us precisely the strength of the relationship or association between two or more variables. This provides us with much more information that we could get from simply looking at scatter charts. It also allows precise and objective comparison with other data sets. Other statistical techniques closely related to correlation can reveal even more information. For examle, the square of a correlation coefficient multiplied by 100 (the coefficient of variation) which states the percentage variation in one variable explained by another. A further refinement involves regressing two variables so that we can predict one from the other (e.g. river flow from rainfall). Regression also provides a convenient description of the relationship between pairs of variables, which can be compared with others.
Reply 2
This exam was great!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Reply 3
I was wondering how to answer the section A question 2... about risk
What did you guys write??
Does anyone have the June paper for unit 4a?(markscheme would be useful too) I am sitting the exam in january and would really appreciate the help. Could you please send it to me or post it here. Any of questions and the style of writing would be helpful.
(edited 11 years ago)
[INDENT]Does anyone have the June paper for unit 4a?(markscheme would be useful too) I am sitting the exam in january and would really appreciate the help. Could you please send it to me or post it here. Any of questions and the style of writing would be helpful.[/INDENT]
Original post by wobblemaster
[INDENT]Does anyone have the June paper for unit 4a?(markscheme would be useful too) I am sitting the exam in january and would really appreciate the help. Could you please send it to me or post it here. Any of questions and the style of writing would be helpful.[/INDENT]

first off if you aren't allowed it and if is posted here, you have to wait until it is on the website, only teachers are allowed to have it and use for their students only. AQA are VERY tough on exam papers and being released publicly.

Also any questions from the Jan/June before is pointless as none of those questions are likely to come up.
Original post by clareramos
first off if you aren't allowed it and if is posted here, you have to wait until it is on the website, only teachers are allowed to have it and use for their students only. AQA are VERY tough on exam papers and being released publicly.

Also any questions from the Jan/June before is pointless as none of those questions are likely to come up.

Well its not pointless knowing what came up at all, because you could work out the likelihood of questions that didnt come up in the previous two coming up in the current.
Original post by ScottENGLAND
Well its not pointless knowing what came up at all, because you could work out the likelihood of questions that didnt come up in the previous two coming up in the current.

for skills though it is limited. so you can guess. Also they are often used for mocks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending