The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology -17th January 2013 EXAM PREPARATION

So i was wondering how people have found this unit 3!! AQA sociology - beliefs in society

How much revision have you done, and what questions are more likely to come for this exam in january?

Any predictions?

Scroll to see replies

hello! im doing mass media instead, its not very hard but when it comes to essays omg! the questions are so vague! i have no idea where to start and what to include!
do u have any essay writing skills? also, do u by any chance have the jan and june 2012 paper and ms for socio unit 3??
Reply 2
Original post by sharon800
So i was wondering how people have found this unit 3!! AQA sociology - beliefs in society

How much revision have you done, and what questions are more likely to come for this exam in january?

Any predictions?

Hi, well i dont particulalrly think its really hard but it isnt that easy 2. seriously just revise and you will b fine. and i think you should start revising nw
Reply 3
Original post by sharon800

Any predictions?

The exam questions are so vague it's just hard to predict what could come up :frown:

But if you get all the past exam papers together, you'l find that some questions are repeated, just in a different form.

But yea :smile: good luck with your revision.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by anonymou
The exam questions are so vague it's just hard to predict what could come up :frown:

But if you get all the past exam papers together, you'l find that some questions are repeated, just in a different form.

But yea :smile: good luck with your revision.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, yes, they are quite vague :s-smilie:
how much revision have you done so far?
how do you revise? i mean any revision techniques?
Reply 5
My sociology teacher used to tell us to focus your revision on the way you learn best.
One technique we used to used was to do mind maps of one particular part (say, emile durkheim on religion) and draw little 5 second stick men images to represent the points next to the text!
Some of us found that the images helped in the exams... But like I said, depends on your learning style :smile:
Reply 6
Hallo, I am completing Beliefs in Society. I have 2 topics left now; science and religion, and typologies. PHEW. Revision is going well. If anyone would like to do some essays together, that would be gooood :smile:

Also, if anyone wants any help, let me know! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by s_axo
Hallo, I am completing Beliefs in Society. I have 2 topics left now; science and religion, and typologies. PHEW. Revision is going well. If anyone would like to do some essays together, that would be gooood :smile:

Also, if anyone wants any help, let me know! :smile:

Yeah, shall i send you some essays?Do you revise topic by topic, because I feel like my notes are too long, and how dyu structure your notes?
Reply 8
Original post by ruby_v
Yeah, shall i send you some essays?Do you revise topic by topic, because I feel like my notes are too long, and how dyu structure your notes?

That would be really helpful for the both of us :biggrin: I do indeed. I spend about 7 days on each topic. I structure my notes in to Ao1, so basic knowledge, and then evaluation/ alternative views.
Reply 9
Original post by s_axo
That would be really helpful for the both of us :biggrin: I do indeed. I spend about 7 days on each topic. I structure my notes in to Ao1, so basic knowledge, and then evaluation/ alternative views.

I thought there was a specific structure such as Point,example, evidence and criticism and then next paragraph would be evaluation :s
Is it possible for you to send your notes so I could get an idea :smile: I feel like my notes are too long and I'm panicking cz I don't have much time.
Reply 10
Original post by ruby_v
I thought there was a specific structure such as Point,example, evidence and criticism and then next paragraph would be evaluation :s
Is it possible for you to send your notes so I could get an idea :smile: I feel like my notes are too long and I'm panicking cz I don't have much time.

Sure; here are some secularisation notes. I can't say I rigidly stick to such format. I do however try to really link my point back to the main essay title at least once in each paragraph.
Reply 11
Original post by s_axo
Sure; here are some secularisation notes. I can't say I rigidly stick to such format. I do however try to really link my point back to the main essay title at least once in each paragraph.

Thanksss :smile: You the know secularisation theory does it come under believing without belonging, religious pluralism, spirtual shopping and vicarious religion and so on?
Reply 12
Original post by ruby_v
Thanksss :smile: You the know secularisation theory does it come under believing without belonging, religious pluralism, spirtual shopping and vicarious religion and so on?

It could do, especially when discussing NAMs/ NRMs. I actually think thats quite a good thing about this topic- you can literally throw in knowledge from all parts of the syllabus in an essay.
Reply 13
Original post by s_axo
It could do, especially when discussing NAMs/ NRMs. I actually think thats quite a good thing about this topic- you can literally throw in knowledge from all parts of the syllabus in an essay.

Yeah, thats true.How are you finding fundamentalism and globalisation?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ruby_v
Yeah, thats true.How are you finding fundamentalism and globalisation?

I quite enjoy fundamentalism as it fits in lots of places. Globalisation is handy for the same reason.
Reply 15
Original post by s_axo
I quite enjoy fundamentalism as it fits in lots of places. Globalisation is handy for the same reason.

Do you have any idea of what the questions might come up :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by ruby_v

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course. They are evidence that secuarisation is bot happening....
Reply 17
Hi
i will be taking the exam in january but i am finding it SO hard to revise nothing is sticking in my head
i need help! anyone?? please
Reply 18
Original post by manmandy
Hi
i will be taking the exam in january but i am finding it SO hard to revise nothing is sticking in my head
i need help! anyone?? please

Is there a particular topic you are finding difficult?
Reply 19
Hi, i am really struggling to revise for this exam my notes are all over the place i seem to remember nothing
i really need some help and advice on how to revise :frown:

Quick Reply