The Student Room Group

Why do people hate Margaret Thatcher so much?

I'm too young to actually remember anything happening, but a lot of older people seem to well hate Margaret Thatcher.

Scroll to see replies

_jackofdiamonds
I'm too young to actually remember anything happening, but a lot of older people seem to well hate Margaret Thatcher.

It depends where you are from. I live in nottingham so Thatcher is a dirty word.
Reply 2
She is hated by a lot of people in areas such as yorkshire, south wales, nottinghamshire, etc, because of how she handled the miner's strike - a lot of people hold her almost personally responsible for what has happened to their communities since the strike of 1984.
Reply 3
Its what happens when a PM is in power for so long.
Reply 4
SaccerZD
She is hated by a lot of people in areas such as yorkshire, south wales, nottinghamshire, etc, because of how she handled the miner's strike - a lot of people hold her almost personally responsible for what has happened to their communities since the strike of 1984.

For every person who hasn't faired well since the heavy industry went, there are two or three more who are actually quite happy.
i don't- I think she's fabulous
Reply 6
JonD
For every person who hasn't faired well since the heavy industry went, there are two or three more who are actually quite happy.

Though as far as human nature goes, they probably hold themselves responsible for their success, while those who fail hold someone else (in this case Thatcher) responsible for those failures.
Reply 7
because she crushed the unions, tolerated huge unemployment to keep inflation down, and was generally a bit of a condescending right wing biatch
hear hear TKR
JonD

You walk around the mining villages of Nottingham and say that.
Reply 10
ChemistBoy

Since we all know that most Brits are miners.
Her crusade against the unions was inhumane. Whole communities were destroyed as a result of it. It was (allegedly - I haven't got the figures at my fingertips here) economically more viable to keep pits open than to shut them down, but she went ahead and did it anyway, purely to crush the NUM.

She preached greed.

Awful creature :mad:
Bismarck
Since we all know that most Brits are miners.

The point I was making was that it isn't just that one person out of three is unhappy in some kind of homogenisation across the country. Whole communities have been totally devastated and even with a lot of support from this government, are still amongst the most deprived areas of the country. However, Arthur Scargill did much to aggrevate the problem in 1984 and it was a real shame that two stubborn and pig-headed individuals should be in charge of the two disputing parties in a situation which need compromise to proceed properly.
Reply 13
ChemistBoy

Only after you've walked around many of the new, affluent housing estates, telling the residents to get back into the factories, council flats and pits where they belong.
Reply 14
She is generally hated by working class people who think she made the rich richer and the poor poorer.
Dhesi
She is generally hated by working class people who think she made the rich richer and the poor poorer.

The gap between rich and poor widened greatly in the 80s, so that belief is grounded in fact.
JonD
Only after you've walked around many of the new, affluent housing estates all over the country, telling the residents to get back into the factories and pits where they belong.

You don't really understand my point do you? You don't understand it at all. How come there was a steady rise in poverty through-out thatcher's regime? I agree that the UK needed to move away from heavy industry in the 80's but the way the the Thatcher administration handled it was a complete disgrace.
Reply 17
I think it was my politics teacher who compared her to marmite... you either love her or you hate her. :P

Anyway, i'm not sure if I particularly agree with all of her policies but I certainly admire her for being the first women PM - and she was in there for a damn long time too!
Reply 18
spacedonkey
The gap between rich and poor widened greatly in the 80s, so that belief is grounded in fact.

I dont doubt that for a second. As a labour supporter you might guess that I am not a fan of hers.
Reply 19
Dhesi
I dont doubt that for a second. As a labour supporter you might guess that I am not a fan of hers.

Which is odd given that Labour is continuing most of her policies.

Quick Reply