The Student Room Group

Frequency response and sharpness of Resonance

My Syllabus says that I need to know the 'factors which determine the frequency response and sharpness of resonance'.

But I could not find these terms in my textbook (i hate Tom Duncan :mad: ). So can someone please explain these terms and the factors effecting them.
Reply 1
Frequency response is a measure of the amplitude of an oscillation as a function of frequency.

Sharpness of resonance is defined by the Q factor, which is related to how quickly the energy of the oscillating system decays.

The determinants of the sharpness in resonance depends on the system involved. Lots of physical systems undergo resonance peaks, in the case of inhomogenously broadened optical oscillators (lasers) for example, the sharpness depends on the losses in the cavity, the gain medium, the shape and reflectivity of the mirrors and the length of the cavity.

Resonance peaks can be described mathematically using Gaussian, Lorentzian or a combination between the two (convolution) called a Voight profile. All these mathematicals functions have 2 important parameters, the maximum value and the Full width-Half maximum (The width of the curve at 1/2 the maximum value.) The ratio of these two parameters gives the Q values. Tall skinny peaks have a high Q, flat broad peaks have a low Q.

Google is your friend :wink:
Reply 2
Simple A level answer is damping - the less the damping the sharper the resonsance.
Reply 3
Method
Google is your friend :wink:

Yea but it gives me high level pages which make as much sense to me as your reply after the definitions of the terms ... :p:

Google is not that much A-level friendly.
Reply 4
teachercol
Simple A level answer is damping - the less the damping the sharper the resonsance.

Now that is better :biggrin: Thank You.

And factors effecting frequency response ...
Reply 5
Ahem ....
Reply 6
Original post by teachercol

hello.. thanks for the answer about sharpness of the resonance, but as the thread started mentioned, could you please also explain what determines frequency reponse (what is it anyway?)
Reply 7
Original post by joyie
hello.. thanks for the answer about sharpness of the resonance, but as the thread started mentioned, could you please also explain what determines frequency reponse (what is it anyway?)

http://www.xtremepapers.com/revision/a-level/physics/oscillations.php
:colondollar: very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest