The Student Room Group

OCR AS Law: The English Legal System 24th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Boqore
Hey guys,

can you get an A even if you lost 30 marks? What are the grade boundaries?

Hey i think you usually need around 90+ for an A :frown:
Original post by mynameisudontneedtoknow
Hi there everyone. For those of you who answered the question b on magistrates' advantages in the legal system, did you also mention the disadvantages ?

It would be appreciated if you reply =)

I did a little bit of a disadvantage (: i wrote about how having a trained clerk can be an advantage but also how it can be seen as a disadvantage as the magistrate could rely too much on them, for example in the case of R v Eccles where a conviction was quashed due to a heavy reliance on the clerk

If you dont put too much, then its fine, plus im sure it said discuss so hopefully we've done the right thing :biggrin:
Reply 82
Hey how did everyone do??
Reply 83
120/120 :wink: Pity the rest of my grades were so ****
Reply 84
Woohoo I got an A and got 98 ums! So happy considering I didn't like most of the topics

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
108/120- A! And an A overall yay :biggrin:
Reply 86
114/120 really happy :biggrin:
and
54/80 for sources of law so not so happy :frown:
Reply 87
Does anyone know what came up in the June 2012 english legal system paper by any chance? would be really grateful if you know, resitting it, got 89/120 last time!
Reply 88
Does anyone have a copy of the english legal system may 2012 paper?
Urgently needed please!
Thank you^^
Original post by mpatel46
Does anyone know what came up in the June 2012 english legal system paper by any chance? would be really grateful if you know, resitting it, got 89/120 last time!

Can't remember what each of the topics were on but section A had:
-magistrates
-civil process
-access to justice
-sentencing (mix of adult and youth)
- legal profession

Section B:
-Criminal Process (I think Bail, not too sure)
-Police Powers (Arrest or Stop and Search- I think it was the latter)
Reply 90
Got english legal system on monday, so far I've revised

Police Stop and Search
Police Arrest
Police Detention
Bail
ADR
Lay Magistrates
Lay Juries
Pre-Trial Procedure
Barristers
Solicitors

Would you say that's enough or should I revise more topics, I need to get 100UMS in this!! Need advice please!
Reply 91
Anyone have any good resources which will help me with learning reform? My teacher has been poor in this area of the course.
Reply 92
Original post by Conzy210
Anyone have any good resources which will help me with learning reform? My teacher has been poor in this area of the course.

SAME!! My teacher is useless!!

Revise

ADR
Juries
Pre-Trial Procedure
Arrest
Police Detention
Legal Profession - always comes up

As these didn't come up in June 2012 it seems so revise them in greater detail!
Reply 93
Original post by mpatel46
Got english legal system on monday, so far I've revised

Police Stop and Search
Police Arrest
Police Detention
Bail
ADR
Lay Magistrates
Lay Juries
Pre-Trial Procedure
Barristers
Solicitors

Would you say that's enough or should I revise more topics, I need to get 100UMS in this!! Need advice please!

My teacher advised me to make sure I know Police Powers (S&S, arrest and detention), Criminal Courts (categories of offence, bail, and appeals), and the Penal System really well as those three topics will almost always come up in some form, usually in section B. He also said I should pick three other topics to learn really well; I'm doing ADR, the legal profession and juries. Then the other topics you should revise just in case one of those topics doesn't come up. You could probably afford to skip one area as long as it's not one of the crucial ones (I'm not revising civil courts because I hate that unit, I'm also not looking at the judiciary or legal funding very much).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Imog
My teacher advised me to make sure I know Police Powers (S&S, arrest and detention), Criminal Courts (categories of offence, bail, and appeals), and the Penal System really well as those three topics will almost always come up in some form, usually in section B. He also said I should pick three other topics to learn really well; I'm doing ADR, the legal profession and juries. Then the other topics you should revise just in case one of those topics doesn't come up. You could probably afford to skip one area as long as it's not one of the crucial ones (I'm not revising civil courts because I hate that unit, I'm also not looking at the judiciary or legal funding very much).

Ahh thats good to know, legal funding came up in June 2012 highly doubt it will come up. ADR, Criminal Courts Procedure and Juries are all likely to come up! I'm also not focusing much on civil courts either as there abit tricky to get your head round! The most crucial thing about this exam is time, I ran out of time when I get it first time round and managed to scrape at B, so I've been working on my timing this time round so I can finish the paper!
Yeah, taking this exam tomorrow as failing miserably last June, of course I did the same thing as usual and have done NO revision. Absolutely f*+ked now haha, anyone got any tips on how to cram all of ELS in by tomorrow 12?
I wish I joined TSR earlier..this would have helped but I still got an A in this :smile:
Original post by ProcrastinatePro
Yeah, taking this exam tomorrow as failing miserably last June, of course I did the same thing as usual and have done NO revision. Absolutely f*+ked now haha, anyone got any tips on how to cram all of ELS in by tomorrow 12?

Cramming is literally impossible for this exam, but good luck!
Original post by und3niable_
Cramming is literally impossible for this exam, but good luck!

Yeah figured as much haha, thank you though
Original post by ProcrastinatePro
Yeah figured as much haha, thank you though

your username though..kinda figures why you need to cram :tongue: haha

Quick Reply

Latest