The Student Room Group

gcse aqa ISA grade boundaries

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Typically, with the old ISAs it used to be 90% for a*, 80%A, 70% B

But however, as this is a new spec, and after looking at 'SINGLE SCIENCE" ISA grade boundaries, it could be 39/50 for an A*, and 43/50 was 100 UMS,

but for triple science, i think they'll have to maintain these boundaries because it is technically still the controlled assessment
Reply 2
Original post by a123a
anyone?!!

They change every year plus there is a new spec so nobody knows.
Reply 3
Original post by Avor
Typically, with the old ISAs it used to be 90% for a*, 80%A, 70% B

But however, as this is a new spec, and after looking at 'SINGLE SCIENCE" ISA grade boundaries, it could be 39/50 for an A*, and 43/50 was 100 UMS,

but for triple science, i think they'll have to maintain these boundaries because it is technically still the controlled assessment

oh ok, but is those boundaries a guess or actually the real one, cause u said it 'was'. 39 seems reasonable as the isas were quite hard tbf

thanks for the help though,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Bluffroom
They change every year plus there is a new spec so nobody knows.

i wanted to kno the grade boundaries so i would kno what mark would get what, and even if they change, a previous grade boundary can be similar to the next years gb.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by a123a
oh ok, but is those boundaries a guess or actually the real one, cause u said it 'was'. 39 seems reasonable as the isas were quite hard tbf

thanks for the help though,

I was told I got 38/50 in one of my isa's and my teacher said that would be roughly a C?
Reply 6
I'd also like to know this.

I got 40/50 for my ISA, the teacher said that's either an A or an A*
Reply 7
My teacher predicted my Biology one, based on the grade boundaries for the core GCSE ISA certified last year. I got 36/50 which was an A grade (83UMS) in that ISA, and is also her prediction.
Reply 8
Original post by sneakbo2
I was told I got 38/50 in one of my isa's and my teacher said that would be roughly a C?

Are you doing single sciences? That's a much lower grade prediction than my school have predicted, and the predictions made by other schools that I know of. I got 36/50 which is predicted to be an A (83UMS).
Reply 9
Im doing triple science, but all our ISAs are based on b2 c2 p2 if that means anything to you. I don't know if thats core science or additional or whatever. If you mean single sciences a grade in chemistry physics and biology seperately rather than core additional and further science then yea
Reply 10
Is anyone doing or done the chemistry isa on burning fuels for energy ?
Reply 11
Original post by ThatGirlx
Is anyone doing or done the chemistry isa on burning fuels for energy ?

We've already done that, got 38 in it
Reply 12
We've already done that, got 38 in it

Oh well done! Can you help me on the method? Do we basically heat water by burning the fuels methanol ethanol butanol and propanol? And, when we burn them do we have to separate tables? One for mass change and one for temperature change? If not, what is the table meant to look like?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13

Dont worry 38/60 is higher than a C! High B or possibly an A ,

Reply 14
Dont worry 38/60 is higher than a C! High B or possibly an A ,

Ahh we did it so long ago now, I think the table was the type of Alcohol, then mass of alcohol before and after. Temperature of water before and after as well. Then you work out the specific heat capacity or something?
Reply 15
Ahh we did it so long ago now, I think the table was the type of Alcohol, then mass of alcohol before and after. Temperature of water before and after as well. Then you work out the specific heat capacity or something?

Oh crap, i thought we were meant to have two separate tables so we could include repeats-.-

Reply 16

And oh i think you were meant to work out the energy produced using the specific heat capacity of the water?

the problem is beacuse it a new spec they havent got a clue though my teacher think the grade bourndaries will be lower than 90% for an A*
Reply 18
And oh i think you were meant to work out the energy produced using the specific heat capacity of the water?

Yeah thats the one you had to work that out then see if it supported your hypothesis.

What I did for my most recent Isa was try and write my answers in the exact same ways as the 45/50 mark exemplar paper, and just expand where he lost marks. If it isn't on the exemplar just answer them the same way. www.sciencelab.org.uk/support/exemplars.php
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Oh crap, i thought we were meant to have two separate tables so we could include repeats-.-

Just include repeats on the same table, and when you draw the graph if you have anomalies just move them up on to the line, then change your data in the table hahaha, saves you having to write about why you had an anomaly in the exam :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest