The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crocmadchris
Whooop I'm famous! :smile:

This is more fun than revising for milk so here goes (also throwing Zoe's questions in here too!):

RCVS: UVM is accredited and gives you membership to the RCVS with no further exams. US/Oz/NZ guidelines for registration state that anyone eligable to join the RCVS register can be qualified to practice, however I know that this is an expensive process for the USA (even for vets studying in UK!).

Application: Due to the unprecedented high numbers last year they are reworking the application process for the 4 year course which may be why the info is missing. Don't quote me on this and I know nothing more than this here. Also very busy at the moment as they've not finished our timetable for next semester

My biggest concern atm is the way that the value of the Euro is dropping against the pound :frown: Kinda hoping that it bounces back up as gone down 10cents since I started!

Thanks for the info.

So, do you still have to do an exam for oz/nz eventhough you are rcvs accred?

With the application, how can they be changing it when applications are already open? Unless you mean for next year? Cos loads of people have alreasy applied, just not paid cos thats the bit thats missing. Storm into the office and sort them out for us please :tongue:

And surely thats a good thing that the euros dropping?! Makes it cheaper for us! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1681
Whooop I'm famous! :smile:

This is more fun than revising for milk so here goes (also throwing Zoe's questions in here too!):

Books: If you have them great, don't bother flying with them, instead pack them up in a box and ship them out with http://www.dolphi-transport.com/ along with anything else heavy you may want.

RCVS: UVM is accredited and gives you membership to the RCVS with no further exams. US/Oz/NZ guidelines for registration state that anyone eligable to join the RCVS register can be qualified to practice, however I know that this is an expensive process for the USA (even for vets studying in UK!).

The postgraduate degree is very intense and condensed as you are supposed to have a good grounding. For example
- 4 year course Immunology is 5 weeks, 6 year course Immunology is 13 weeks.
- 4 year course Genetics is 13 weeks, 6 year course Genetics is 26 weeks

Term dates: Semesters are 13 weeks, and you can arrange your exams to fit you. Some people have been home for 2 months for Christmas, others for a week. Same with summer plenty of time to vanish home.

Application: Due to the unprecedented high numbers last year they are reworking the application process for the 4 year course which may be why the info is missing. Don't quote me on this and I know nothing more than this here. Also very busy at the moment as they've not finished our timetable for next semester yet!!!

Assignments: So far there has just been one assignment for genetics (doing a karyotype from chromosomes). Its mainly credit tests (weekly for anatomy) and final exams. Though you do have a thesis which you start in the second year.

Latin + Slovak: Yes you have to pass these, Slovak is easy, Latin not so much :frown:

Travel: Flights from UK - Budapest (I like wizzair), and then taxi from Budapest to dorms (around 35 euros if sharing!).

Moving to a new country is great and something I would recommend anyone try once, so much more fun than studying in the UK. I love it here as it feels like a proper unversity with decent equipment, great professors, and in a great non-tourist spoilt city!

My biggest concern atm is the way that the value of the Euro is dropping against the pound :frown: Kinda hoping that it bounces back up as gone down 10cents since I started!

Yeah as Sarzbabe said, please ask them to hurry up with the applications :P
Hi

Just want to clarify a few things.

The RCVS does not accredit UVMP or any other EU vet school. However, graduating from UVMP, does allow you to register with them, if you are also an EU citizen. The RCVS does not undertake any visits/monitor quality of the EU vet schools. This is up to EAEVE, which UVMP has passed. RCVS has to allow registration under EU law. Nevertheless UVMP is an excellent university producing very capable graduates!!

As for the US/NZ/Aus/South Africa, simply registering with the RCVS does not exempt you from taking the more difficult route to practice in those countries. However if you register with the RCVS via examination (which you only do if your degree is not registerable), you can skip some of the steps. So if the US is your place of desire to work, please bear in mind your degree from UVMP is not recognised, and therefore will need to undertake several training opportunities and examinations before being allowed to work there. UVMP, along with the majority of EU vet schools, are not approved by the AVMA.
(edited 11 years ago)
No euro dropping is a bad thing as last September £1 was equal to 1.25 Euros. Now £1 is somewhere around 1.16 Euros... Makes it more expensive.

Like I said, I am not in a position to get involved and the staff in the office work extremely hard. Have some patience as you wouldn't chase up a UK Vet School like this.
No euro dropping is a bad thing as last September £1 was equal to 1.25 Euros. Now £1 is somewhere around 1.16 Euros... Makes it more expensive.

Like I said, I am not in a position to get involved and the staff in the office work extremely hard. Have some patience as you wouldn't chase up a UK Vet School like this.

It was only a joke :facepalm:

And that would be the £ dropping in value, i thought you meant the other way around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1685

Only a suggestion, it seems to have worked in previous years with other TSR users :rolleyes:
When i applied 4 years ago (in jan) i didnt hear till June or July, I cant remember which...It's still only Jan atm, if you haven't heard by easter then i would say its time to give them a call. Also, the office is mental at the moment, they have loads of stuff going on with the slovak government changing its rules for graduation, so i reckon theyre a bit swamped at the moment trying to make sure we can graduate, instead of taking new students in :-) they'll get round to you, but it could take months, i know its frustrating, but once you're here you'll see that this is exactly how slovakia works!
Reply 1687
So how many of us on here at the moment have applied/are applying for this year?
Show of hands :P

Me :smile:
I will when i finally get round to it (and get over the Doctors fee! :mad: ) so.. ME! :biggrin:
Reply 1689
Original post by sarzbabe
I will when i finally get round to it (and get over the Doctors fee! :mad: ) so.. ME! :biggrin:

Ditto! :rolleyes: Just waiting on my doctor contact.
Has anyone spoken to/heard back from UVM yet? Or worked out how to pay the application fee, seeing as there are no bank account details like there were last year.

Looking at this thread, last year people had already been accepted by now, or at least notified that they had received their application - that's a scary thought!
Original post by tigercallie
When i applied 4 years ago (in jan) i didnt hear till June or July, I cant remember which...It's still only Jan atm, if you haven't heard by easter then i would say its time to give them a call. Also, the office is mental at the moment, they have loads of stuff going on with the slovak government changing its rules for graduation, so i reckon theyre a bit swamped at the moment trying to make sure we can graduate, instead of taking new students in :-) they'll get round to you, but it could take months, i know its frustrating, but once you're here you'll see that this is exactly how slovakia works!

What have they changed?! Have they sorted your graduating dilemma yet?
I will apply but haven't heard anything back from them yet.
Reply 1693
Application fee details are now online! :smile:
Does anyone know when applications end this year?
Original post by bobthedog
Does anyone know when applications end this year?

31st May i believe... its all on the website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1696
Original post by p3bbl3z
Application fee details are now online! :smile:

And all the information they had up last year too :biggrin:

Still not heard from my friend of a friend doctor, so I may have to try my chances and take my form to my gyne appointment on Friday, haha!
UPDATE FROM UVM KOSICE

I went into the office today and also had a discussion with the Vice Rector. The office is extremely busy at the moment as one of the staff members has been sick for the past two weeks so one person is doing everything. There have been new students starting this week so they (and the general start of term paperwork like timetables etc) are the priority at the moment. Denisa is very sorry for the delay however she cannot help it and will get to you as soon as she can, applications however do not close until May so please be patient with her.

In terms of application, anyone applying for the 4 year postgraduate course will have their degree sylabus compared to the sylabus here. If you have not done the required modules you will be moved to the 6 year course (though may get 1 year exemption depending on your modules). In addition there will be compulsory interviews for all applicants sometime around August.

Please do patient and Denisa will get in touch as soon as she can!

Chris
Reply 1698
UPDATE FROM UVM KOSICE

I went into the office today and also had a discussion with the Vice Rector. The office is extremely busy at the moment as one of the staff members has been sick for the past two weeks so one person is doing everything. There have been new students starting this week so they (and the general start of term paperwork like timetables etc) are the priority at the moment. Denisa is very sorry for the delay however she cannot help it and will get to you as soon as she can, applications however do not close until May so please be patient with her.

In terms of application, anyone applying for the 4 year postgraduate course will have their degree sylabus compared to the sylabus here. If you have not done the required modules you will be moved to the 6 year course (though may get 1 year exemption depending on your modules). In addition there will be compulsory interviews for all applicants sometime around August.

Please do patient and Denisa will get in touch as soon as she can!

Chris

Well that's slightly worrying.
Guessing application numbers have increased this year then.

Also.. that's going to be an expensive interview! :rolleyes:
Reply 1699
Hi guys is there any one from AUs on here? I am thinking about applying to study Vet in Kosice would love to hear from anyone from this side of the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending