The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Thurso Street unite accommodation

Hi,
I've applied for Thurso Street accommodation for my second year at Glasgow Uni and thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has too.
I'm in block D flat 204 so if anyone has also applied to this flat it would be great to add you on Facebook or something!
I've heard quite bad reviews about Unite and that a lot of the applicants are international so would just be wondering if there are any British applicants applying :smile:
Reply 1
You will love staying at Thurso Street, I stayed there last year and had a great time. I made lots of friends and I don't understand why it had a bad reputation.

Also the guys at the office are the best and will make sure you have a great stay.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by jennybenson
Hi,
I've applied for Thurso Street accommodation for my second year at Glasgow Uni and thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has too.
I'm in block D flat 204 so if anyone has also applied to this flat it would be great to add you on Facebook or something!
I've heard quite bad reviews about Unite and that a lot of the applicants are international so would just be wondering if there are any British applicants applying :smile:

I currently stay at thurso street and have booked for next year too - I really like it, and have nothing negative to say about it at all! Yes there are quite a lot of international students staying here, but there are British people too. I live in a studio, and on my floor I'm the only British person, but it really doesn't bother me at all, everyone keeps to themselves mostly.
I like having all bills included, it means you don't need to worry about how much you might have to spend on heating in the winter for example, and when repairs are needed, they get someone out to fix it as soon as possible, I placed a non-emergent repair request at 10am one day, and someone was around at lunchtime. The office also take in your deliveries, so you don't need to worry about being out and missing the postie.
If you have any questions or anything, I'd be happy to answer =)
Reply 3
Helloo,

I'm also thinking about applying for Thurso street. I'm an exchange student so it's just for the first semester. Other possibilities are Gibson street and Buchanan view, but Gibson is a bit more expensive and Buchanan isn't as close to the university as the others. My question is about the onsite laundry facility, because Buchanan and gibson have one, but Thurso doesn't. Is there something close to the building to do the laundry or something?

Oh and sorry that there might apply anooother international student... I'm really nice, don't worry:tongue: And I have an English name:smile:
Reply 4
Are you an undergrad for 2013 entry, Jenny?
Original post by dylan.
Helloo,

I'm also thinking about applying for Thurso street. I'm an exchange student so it's just for the first semester. Other possibilities are Gibson street and Buchanan view, but Gibson is a bit more expensive and Buchanan isn't as close to the university as the others. My question is about the onsite laundry facility, because Buchanan and gibson have one, but Thurso doesn't. Is there something close to the building to do the laundry or something?

Oh and sorry that there might apply anooother international student... I'm really nice, don't worry:tongue: And I have an English name:smile:

I'm currently at Thurso Street and there is an onsite laundry facility - both washing machines and tumble dryers.
They're not the cheapest: £2.60 for a wash and £1.20 for a dry, but they are there :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by LonelySoul193
I'm currently at Thurso Street and there is an onsite laundry facility - both washing machines and tumble dryers.
They're not the cheapest: £2.60 for a wash and £1.20 for a dry, but they are there :smile:

Oh, ok, that's nice! Thanks for the answer:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by KeithyDee
Are you an undergrad for 2013 entry, Jenny?

Yes I am, ill be going into my second year :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by JamaBDB
You will love staying at Thurso Street, I stayed there last year and had a great time. I made lots of friends and I don't understand why it had a bad reputation.

Also the guys at the office are the best and will make sure you have a great stay.

Im also thinking about applying to thurso street but i was just wondering what percentage of people are first year students? Or is it a wide mix of years
Hey! I also got my room booked at Thurso, but no idea in which block :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Habib24
Im also thinking about applying to thurso street but i was just wondering what percentage of people are first year students? Or is it a wide mix of years

There is a huge variety - first year, second year, third.. etc. When you do your booking you can choose a flat with only freshers, mixed and so on. It depends on your preferences.
Reply 11
Hi guys, I'm considering booking thurso for next year, i'm a british student going into my second year and I'm wondering how you guys found staying there.
Reply 12
Original post by eibes_95
Hi guys, I'm considering booking thurso for next year, i'm a british student going into my second year and I'm wondering how you guys found staying there.

I'm actually the one who made this thread originally this time last year when deciding where to live and I am now staying in Thurso Street.

There are definitely some advantages; really close to the Uni, have your own space, have your own bathroom. However, there are not many social benefits if that's what you're expecting. I'm a Scottish student and we have three Scottish people in our flat which is really, really lucky. However, the majority (probably around 80 or 90%) of the people that live here are Erasmus or Asian students who kind of stick together. So, living here is not great if you want to meet new people. Even though I like my flatmates, we never do anything together because we all have other things going on.
Also, what I've found, is that when you want to have friends over for drinks it's quite difficult because you have to let people in the front gate so you have to go all the way to the front gate to let somebody in, it's really, really annoying.

I certainly don't mind living here for the year but I would never choose to live in a place like this again. If I was you, I would 100% do a flatshare with friends or in my case, if you didn't really have anyone to live with at that point, around May/June look for forums for others who are looking for flatmates, there are tons of people in the same position as you and looking for someone to share flats with. This will also work out MUCH cheaper, the accommodation is most definitely not cheap and you will be much better off getting your own actual flat.
Hi,

I am going to live there starting in september in Flat 302.
I was wondering if anyone could share their experience, e.g. staff, socializing, parties etc. since I didn't have time to make a trip and get a tour.

Thank you guys
I am a british student staying at thurso street and my entire flat floor is all foreign students all from asia while they are very nice and polite there is a bit of a social barrier as their english is not great, not that there is anything wrong with that, i was just wondering if anyone like me else felt a bit isolated because of this.

Quick Reply

Latest