The Student Room Group

St Paul's Girls School (spgs)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
orangey10
Maths/Further Maths: Department's great, especially since Miss Darwin's going on maternity leave :biggrin:
Economics: One guy department called Mr Turner, he seems nice if you like his subject (we don't do economics before a-level, so he'll treat all you guys equally in terms of liking his subject)
French: I have to say I haven't done French since Year 9 ... I think Hallie does it though, I'll ask her =P
Physics: If you like the subject, you'll love the teachers. Dr Slaski is a bit of a legend (aka the Slaskinator) who drops innuendos that *could* have been because he's bad at English ALL THE TIME and Dr Lee is ridiculously tall and crazy in a good way.
German: YAY I'm taking German - we seem to be getting most of the teachers in the department. Frau Barth (language/grammar) I personally like though she seems to bear a grudge against slackers; Frau Frank/Barker (...I'm not sure) - stern but I think she grows on you; Frau Alice (conversation) is the best teacher I've ever had but she's actually insane; Frau Boothman (literature) - apparently a bit boring, but ah well. Literature.

Coming to the induction day on the 25th? =D

Definitely coming! Wouldn't miss it for the world :yup: I take it that you're coming as well then? :smile:
Haha, what's wrong with Miss Darwin? Do we get 2 teachers for German and they teach us different things? Ooh! Sounds fun! :wink:
Thanks for all the information by the way, when I get to SPGS I won't be a total new girl haha :cool:
Reply 21
hallieyes
Hey all,

I'd heard about some new 6th popping up on TSR so I thought I'd butt in :wink:. I'm Hallie. HI NAT!

Basically I'm one of those people that loves the school very much and end up passionatley defending it (in all areas except the new administration and Miss Stalin - ewww). I really can't imagine being anywhere else or wanting to leave. I know it's not that way for everyone though. I'll try and add my little opinion to stuff other people have said...

The work! Haaa I remember back in year 6 all the junior school mothers insisting that we die of stress and spend our existence shaking in classrooms popping anti-depressants as the only food we ever eat...NOT like that!

Basically, if you don't want to work, you don't have to (though I'm sure this changes with AS's and the fact that you like what you're doing). It depends on your teacher, but it's hard to get really in trouble for not working as long as you sort of keep up appearances with the occasional homework and don't skip lessons. Compared to other schools I hear about, we have very few rules. But on the flip side, people are motivated to do well (no matter how many times you hear 'what was the homework? Oh well I'm not gonna do it', you will never hear 'I just won't revise for my GCSE and get a C' uttered in earnest) and in my experience people like to seem intelligent, particularly in a witty or observant way - you want to sound articulate, know what's going on in the world etc. It's certainly not considered uncool or nerdy to do well. What is considered bad form is to be overly competitive (at least openly :wink:) or be constantly going on and on about work. Everyone seems to find the level of work they're comfortable with and be able to do well on that. And if teachers think you're 'struggling' and not just slacking, they will make an effort to help you out, and will always pay attention if you ask them for help.

Which brings me on to the teachers, because I have to say that they're awesome. They love their subject and they're total characters most of them. The relationship between them and the students in the sixth form particularly is great.

Clothes! OK need to admit something - I do notice what people wear. If I think someone is dressing in a particularly bad way, I will notice it. What I won't do is think any worse of them as an individual for it or treat them differently. I think it's an important distinction. There definitely isn't a culture of having to wear expensive clothes at all, which I think someone mentioned. It's nice to look nice, but seriously you're thought worse of if you insist on wearing designer stuff all the time just to prove a point - that's why basically no one does this :biggrin:

Are we bitchy? In my fairly limited experience derived from what I hear/know about other schools, we're better, but that doesn't mean it's all rainbows. We're teenage girls. But in my experience of the year at least, everyone's got friends who look out for them, and everyone's nice to other people wherever you may come across them - queues, lockers, lessons blah blah. There is NOT that ridiculous US high school movie style thing where people roam the hallways glaring at underlings. Don't expect that at all. That doesn't mean we don't conceal the occasional bitchy resentment, but really, it's not a bad atmosphere at all.

God I'm writing a lot. Sorry.

So my advice to anyone...as was mentinoned above - be nice and friendly! And a big thing I'd say is, don't be quick to stereotype people as 'Paulina' or 'typical private-school girl' or whatever. People can surprise you!

So, look forward to meeting you guys!

Hey! :biggrin: Thanks for your input! It has definitely put my mind in ease :smile: So what subjects are you going to be doing next year?
I go to SPGS as well, or did. I'm in the last year so just finished forever a few weeks ago and I hope that this comment won't be tinged by nostalgia but here goes...

I loved the school, I was incredibly happy and got a lot out of it. Then again, I was lucky enough to have a great set of friends and to really want to be there. A lot of the people who were unhappy with the school in my year had been forced to go there by pushy parents and ended up leaving anyway. As far as drugs and eating disorders go, I don't think the school is any worse than normal, and I also don't think that the school itself really has an effect on those kind of things.
It's really brave of you to move to a new school, and its true what other people on here have said - you will be judged primarily on how friendly you are. Of course people look at each others clothes. Who doesn't? But there is no culture of having to wear any style or brand to fit in. And to be honest, especially in the sixth form, you will find that everyone is so busy that they end up just wearing trackies and stuff anyway.
What I would say is:
1. Take advantage of the fact that most of the teachers are amazing and if you need help go to them. They are always happy to give you extra work and help you with something you don't understand. If you don't get on with your subject teacher, ask your form teacher or another person in the department to help you.

2. Join in everything you can. I am only just realising how many work placements/activities/competitions the school tells you about, and it can get overwhelming. But it has so many great connections, you should use all of them.

Of course there are bad things, the new administration in particular are awful fascists and there is a constant expectation that you will be overachieving. But I really did love it. I miss it already.
Oh yes, and orangey10, I feel for you taking German. I had Boothman and Barker in AS year and it was awful. Pray you get Barth or Frank.
Reply 24
Oooh fun to see this thread has come back again. I wrote to the 'buddy' I've been assigned (we were only given postal addresses, not sure if the letter-writing will come off charming or creepy!) so I'm getting excited for induction day...also because then exams will be over.

@Mincan (btw am I right in guessing Mincan is your name too or is it just your username?) - subject-wise I'm signed up for English, History, Art Hist, French and Bio, with the aim of dropping one of the last two. The idea of free periods just captivates me too much to do five! You're doing French, right? (too lazy to look downthread:p: ) If you were wondering about teachers, our best teacher, and our arguably most amusing and incompetent teacher (SOOO french always staging mental breakdowns and sighing), both just left so the department's getting a revamp! They're the only two teachers I've ever had so I can't tell you a lot about the department, but generally I think languages are considered kind of easy and kind of fun at AS - at least that's what I've heard. The only thing to watch out for is the conversation teacher, who kind of scuttles around all smiley in her Breton stripes and loafers but you know, you just know that there is a little bit of an evil soul underneath and I'm rather terrified of her. The German convo teacher is ah-mazing though. I had her for free periods and she was such a laugh.
Reply 25
IfWeHadWorldEnough
I go to SPGS as well, or did. I'm in the last year so just finished forever a few weeks ago and I hope that this comment won't be tinged by nostalgia but here goes...

I loved the school, I was incredibly happy and got a lot out of it. Then again, I was lucky enough to have a great set of friends and to really want to be there. A lot of the people who were unhappy with the school in my year had been forced to go there by pushy parents and ended up leaving anyway. As far as drugs and eating disorders go, I don't think the school is any worse than normal, and I also don't think that the school itself really has an effect on those kind of things.
It's really brave of you to move to a new school, and its true what other people on here have said - you will be judged primarily on how friendly you are. Of course people look at each others clothes. Who doesn't? But there is no culture of having to wear any style or brand to fit in. And to be honest, especially in the sixth form, you will find that everyone is so busy that they end up just wearing trackies and stuff anyway.
What I would say is:
1. Take advantage of the fact that most of the teachers are amazing and if you need help go to them. They are always happy to give you extra work and help you with something you don't understand. If you don't get on with your subject teacher, ask your form teacher or another person in the department to help you.

2. Join in everything you can. I am only just realising how many work placements/activities/competitions the school tells you about, and it can get overwhelming. But it has so many great connections, you should use all of them.

Of course there are bad things, the new administration in particular are awful fascists and there is a constant expectation that you will be overachieving. But I really did love it. I miss it already.

I can definitely tell you that I will be taking advantage of everything; I want to do as much as I can! I really can't wait now :smile: Thank you.
Reply 26
hallieyes
Oooh fun to see this thread has come back again. I wrote to the 'buddy' I've been assigned (we were only given postal addresses, not sure if the letter-writing will come off charming or creepy!) so I'm getting excited for induction day...also because then exams will be over.

@Mincan (btw am I right in guessing Mincan is your name too or is it just your username?) - subject-wise I'm signed up for English, History, Art Hist, French and Bio, with the aim of dropping one of the last two. The idea of free periods just captivates me too much to do five! You're doing French, right? (too lazy to look downthread:p: ) If you were wondering about teachers, our best teacher, and our arguably most amusing and incompetent teacher (SOOO french always staging mental breakdowns and sighing), both just left so the department's getting a revamp! They're the only two teachers I've ever had so I can't tell you a lot about the department, but generally I think languages are considered kind of easy and kind of fun at AS - at least that's what I've heard. The only thing to watch out for is the conversation teacher, who kind of scuttles around all smiley in her Breton stripes and loafers but you know, you just know that there is a little bit of an evil soul underneath and I'm rather terrified of her. The German convo teacher is ah-mazing though. I had her for free periods and she was such a laugh.

Haha yes, I got contacted by my new 'buddy'. She found me on Facebook :wink: Her names Beth I think, I can't remember her surname though :frown:
Thanks for the info, :O I hope we don't get left with a really bad, or even worse boring teacher for French! I don't know how I'd be able to cope :p:
Reply 27
Ok, I'll answer from an 'ex paulina' perspective and someone who also used to go to a comprehensive before SPGS (although I was there for the full 7 years). Yes - SPGS is completely different. The girls are definitely not bitchier, but the bitchiness if there is any, is smarter. They do not judge people, if they do they do it by intelligence and not by the usual benchmarks; physical appearances will always make their mark but it is up to you to stand your ground and be proud of who you are, whoever you are, and; any advice I would give you is continue to be yourself and not buy into whatever 'fad' is going around at the time. You got there on your merits - stay true to yourself. As for A / AS levels - my advice take as many as you think you can handle. It will give you the upper edge. Most people do 4. :smile:

Good luck - hope it all worked out :smile:
Reply 28
Hi Everyone :smile:

I know this was posted over two years ago, but i was wondering if i could get some advice, from any of you, on the addmissions test for St Paul's Girls'?
(btw i'm applying for year 12 and 13)

Just a few questions:
-The test to get into the sixth form is on the subjects you decide to take for a level, but how do the tests work? At the open day they said that it is applied knowlege, and not learning everything in the textbook. They don't give out any past papers which is a bummer, so i was wondering (if any of you can remember) what the questions are like? Some examples would be great!

- The interview. Do they ask any trick questions? :confused: and what are they looking for?

Thank you to everyone/anyone who replies!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 29
Hey kiely I'm in the same position as you, although its a tad too late to help you with the entry, interview and etc...
I dont know whether if you have gotten in or not yet but I do wish you the best!
I still dont know If I got in or not yet for sure but I've been there before and I have to say the girls were so kind and the teachers were so friendly and of course all schools are not perfect but spgs is quite close to it! :smile:
Reply 30
Hi, we think that we have been subjected to same treatment by St. Paul's girls school who interviewed our daughter but did not give offer admission due to the bursary application.

we asked school if this was the case and they denied it.
They are not transparent at all on why they did not offer her a place.

All future bursary applicants be warned, if you ask them to pay your fee, you just have shot yourself in the foot or shall I say head!

Based on other exams our daughter did, we know that she should be in top 25 percent of girls in all their exams including the interview which went very well - so we strongly believe that bursary application is the reason!

very disappointed of such an iconic school to behave in this way.

please share if anyone had any experiences in this area.

Original post by tia450
Well we got a house visit too, thanks though :smile:

Will you be paying the full amount then?
Hey people, I'm doing the St Pauls exams for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Religious Studies. Would anyone there know the exam boards at GCSE, that would kinda give me an idea of what their students work at and what they would expect from others. Also, if anyone who's taken the exams could exlain the difficulty, it would be of great help. Thanks
Original post by mynameishello
Hey people, I'm doing the St Pauls exams for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Religious Studies. Would anyone there know the exam boards at GCSE, that would kinda give me an idea of what their students work at and what they would expect from others. Also, if anyone who's taken the exams could exlain the difficulty, it would be of great help. Thanks

Hi

I did the exams and interview in November, and (amazingly!) got in so I'll be starting in September. I'm so excited, and I can definitely say that you would be making the right choice to apply. I would love to have given you advice on your subjects but I am doing completely different subjects to you - all of them are humanities, bar Economics - so I can only give general advice. All I will say is go over the work in your own exam board thoroughly, because they understand that everyone studies different exam boards.

When I went to the Open Day, they said that you could revise for the science exams but for humanities it is impossible to revise. This made me panic a little but the exams, although challenging, didn't require knowledge of a particular exam board. Take History for instance. I was concerned that there would only be questions for a particular exam board in the History test (for example, questions on Vietnam when I study Germany) but it was all about analysing a source and using your own intuition. So don't expect to be asked anything specific in Religious Studies.

Remember, they're not looking to catch you out. They're looking to find the best people.

Trust me, I would know. If they were looking to catch people out, I wouldn't have got a place - I'm entirely state-educated!

Feel free to inbox me if you need to :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by mynameishello
Hey people, I'm doing the St Pauls exams for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Religious Studies. Would anyone there know the exam boards at GCSE, that would kinda give me an idea of what their students work at and what they would expect from others. Also, if anyone who's taken the exams could explain the difficulty, it would be of great help. Thanks

Hey! I agree with the person above me: that they aren't trying to catch you out, they're trying to find the best ones. Like her I am completely state-educated too, so I haven't had any previous tuition or had any brilliant teaching. They aren't looking for the best rehearsed person that knows everything, they are looking for girls with potential and natural ability.

Unfortunately I didn't choose any of your subjects I chose more of the humanities and languages but for the Maths and Sciences, you should revise to be a bit prepared but dont go crazy with it because if you get in the school, then you will need to be at that standard all the time, and to be honest, too much revision all the time can get a bit tedious :biggrin:

In terms of difficulty, I know asking other girls, that it wasn't the easiest of papers, they will be difficult and some you might not be able to do but I think they look at your methodology more as well so dont worry too much about knowing everything. I dont really know about the exam boards, but I assume they will cater that need in the exam, they wont design an exam based on AQA for example for everyone. It should be neutral.

Good Luck! If you have any more questions, then do feel free to ask! :smile:
Reply 34
Hi,
I did the exams in November as well for Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I did a bit of revision but I didn't find it too hard. It doesn't really matter what exam board you are doing but I am doing AQA Certificate Biology, Chemistry and Physics and Edexcel IGCSE Maths.

They do have some gcse stuff on the papers but I didn't know some of it and I still (amazingly) got in. Like people have already said, they're not trying to make you fail, they want to see your potential. Good Luck!! I hope that everything goes well.
Original post by Helloitsme
Hi, we think that we have been subjected to same treatment by St. Paul's girls school who interviewed our daughter but did not give offer admission due to the bursary application.

All future bursary applicants be warned, if you ask them to pay your fee, you just have shot yourself in the foot or shall I say head!

Based on other exams our daughter did, we know that she should be in top 25 percent of girls in all their exams including the interview which went very well - so we strongly believe that bursary application is the reason!

I went to St Paul's on a bursary. I can categorically say that, no matter the school's failings, they will do everything in their power to make sure that a girl who's good enough to get in will get funding. This extends to a friend of mine who for various reasons was over the bursary thresholds but could not afford to go. The school put her in touch with a private benefactor who paid her fees.

If your daughter was rejected it was probably because they had too many well-qualified applicants; nothing to do with the bursary application.
Reply 36
Original post by Helloitsme

Sorry to say, you need to get over it. Too many assumptions.

Has SPGS given any feedback that that your daughter did very well and that application was rejected due to bursary? I am sure NOT, as SPGS does not enter into any sort of communication about its admission decisions.

You don't really know how your daughter did in tests and interviews. Even if she has done well by your standard, other girls may have done even better and may fit the school's requirement much better than your daughter. 800 or more girls apply each year. Only 100 or so get the place in SPGS. Why not just accept that Smarter & better girls got the place, disappointing though it is?

I hope that you are not making your daughter feel a failure by not not getting an offer from SPGS. She must have got offers from numerous other schools - so relax and accept the best amongst those and welcome a new begining.

Other aspiring girls: If you feel SPGS appeal to you, try for a place there by all means. Don't be put off by negative posts. If you like it, go for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh and could anyone tell me how many candidates they pick and how many apply overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending