The Student Room Group

Tennis

Federer wins Indian Wells defeating Blake in the final 7-5 6-3 6-0 :smile:! Federer often gets off to slow starts and went a double break down in the 1st set 4-1 but fought back to take 7-5 in style. One way traffic from there, he is a class above. Credit to Blake though for reaching the final, he had some good results and is a class player on hardcourts, infact I put him second only to Roger.

Roll on Miami

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Federer won whoooooo he is awesome how many finals now has he got a love set?
About time we got a Tennis thread!

It would have been cool of Blake made a battle of it but I expected Federer would have no problems. In his speech Blake said Roger was the only one who sent him a note while he was in hospital :frown: A true gentleman.
Reply 3
Federer is truly sensational. Nadal has nothing on him.
ninman
Federer is truly sensational. Nadal has nothing on him.

He has something on him, otherwise he wouldn't have this decent record against him. And ok, over time Federer may well work Nadals game out, work it out better, but that doesn't rule out Nadal doing just the same with Feds game. Whereas Roddick truly has nothing on Federer, i feel Nadal does.
Reply 5
^^^yeah definitely
(loving this thread btw ha ha)
i think new talents like nadal (gasquet and berdych) are the way forward to beating federer. hewitt and roddick who were the most dominent last year, had absolutely nothing on federer and it seems the youngsters have a better chance.
i still think federer has a long way to go,and i do agree with alot of people saying he could well be the best ever. i think he will have more lossers this year than last but i still think he has a good chance at roland garros, wimbledon and the US.

my predictions:::
roland garros : federer or nadal definitely
wimbledon : federer, hewitt or agassi
US open : again federer, hewitt, agassi or possibly blake with the way he is playing.

what does everyone else reckon?
Regarding predictions for Wimbledon, i'd put Joachim Johansson into the melting pot, if he stays fit for a decent period prior to Wimbledon, which is an ask...of course him winning Wimbledon would be hugely down to his serve, if it is to be fantastically booming akin to Ivanisevics in the year he won the Wimbledon crown.

I can't see Agassi winning one of the big 4, but i was saying that before Agassi was finalist at the US Open in 2005 :biggrin:

My bets: Nadal for Roland Garros
Wimbledon - Federer
US Open - Federer

Boring aren't I :biggrin:
Reply 7
antics
^^^yeah definitely
(loving this thread btw ha ha)
i think new talents like nadal (gasquet and berdych) are the way forward to beating federer. hewitt and roddick who were the most dominent last year, had absolutely nothing on federer and it seems the youngsters have a better chance.
i still think federer has a long way to go,and i do agree with alot of people saying he could well be the best ever. i think he will have more lossers this year than last but i still think he has a good chance at roland garros, wimbledon and the US.

my predictions:::
roland garros : federer or nadal definitely
wimbledon : federer, hewitt or agassi
US open : again federer, hewitt, agassi or possibly blake with the way he is playing.
what does everyone else reckon?

Not sure about Hewitt to be honest. He struggles against even the most basic of opponents eg Goldstein, Mayer + Seppi. He wins through a lot of the time but is far from convincing. I cant see him reaching a slam final this year let alone beating Federer. Would love Agassi to win Wimbledon or the US, being my favourite player (although I really want Federer to dominate and win all the slams this year so a bit of a conflict there). Although im not sure about the ability of Agassi anymore. His back is getting weaker and weaker by the day but he has said he will miss the claycourt season so may be fresh for Wimbledon.

Predictions:

French: Federer (Still think he is better than Nadal on the clay as well. Coria deserves a mention because on his day is potentially better than both Fed and Nadal although he has been playing crap recently, serve has been useless. Gasquet also he has the ability to push Fed and Nadal)
Wimbledon: Federer (Who else? He is a unbeatable on the grass)
US: Federer (Wins easily even if he is only 80%)
Reply 8
The draw for Miami is out! Tough draw for Federer, could face Haas 3rd round and Blake in the quarters. Henman plays Safin :frown: and then potentially Hewitt :frown:. Murray has the talented Wawrinka
Economist
The draw for Miami is out! Tough draw for Federer, could face Haas 3rd round and Blake in the quarters. Henman plays Safin :frown: and then potentially Hewitt :frown:. Murray has the talented Wawrinka

Safe to say that's Tim stuffed true 'n proper. Wawrinka is a decent player so that will be a challenge for Murray. I'm quite frustrated that i've not got tennis coverage/channels of the mens tour and womens for that matter (revival of Hingis), so i've not been able to watch Blake and his rise up the rankings, and of course, Nadals recovery from injury to win Indian Wells. I wish i had such facilities but i'm at uni.
yeah just seen it
me being a hewitt fan, i think its hard for him, poss safin, then roddick in quarters i think.

yeah id love to see agassi win, i reckon he could do an almost ivanisavic(?) and win wimbledon and then retire.i think skipping the clay court season is a good idea as he will be fully fit for the grass.
i think it is frustrating for people like hewitt(and even roddick) hewitt was a damn good player, up to only a few months ago i still thought the hewitt of 01/02 could beat federer. I think its hard knowing theres not much of a chance to become number 1 again.
i still think if federer goes out of the equation at wimbledon or the US he has a damn good chance.
would love to see agassi win wimbleon or us open however

yeah i love pim pim, always thought he was an awesome player, after hewitt he is my fave. hopefully he will be coming to nottingham this year so i can see him!
Reply 11
french : federer i hope i really wnat him to win it
wimbledon : stupid question really
Us : federer again is the only real answer
Reply 12
antics
yeah just seen it
me being a hewitt fan, i think its hard for him, poss safin, then roddick in quarters i think.

yeah id love to see agassi win, i reckon he could do an almost ivanisavic(?) and win wimbledon and then retire.i think skipping the clay court season is a good idea as he will be fully fit for the grass.
i think it is frustrating for people like hewitt(and even roddick) hewitt was a damn good player, up to only a few months ago i still thought the hewitt of 01/02 could beat federer. I think its hard knowing theres not much of a chance to become number 1 again.
i still think if federer goes out of the equation at wimbledon or the US he has a damn good chance.
would love to see agassi win wimbleon or us open however

yeah i love pim pim, always thought he was an awesome player, after hewitt he is my fave. hopefully he will be coming to nottingham this year so i can see him!

I think your being too generous on Hewitt, I know you like him but he hasnt been the same for ages especially since he got married to Bec and had a baby (you cant blame him tbh). The Hewitt of old was immense but he was no where near Federer's standard these days imo. As for Roddick ive never really rated him that highly. Take away his serve and he isnt even top 50. Good forhand but his backhand is bloody awful, shocking.

If you take Federer out, Hewitt could nick one for sure. He is solid against players lower down the rankings and think he could beat Nadal.

Are you Austrailian?
Economist
As for Roddick ive never really rated him that highly. Take away his serve and he isnt even top 50. Good forhand but his backhand is bloody awful, shocking.

If you take Federer out, Hewitt could nick one for sure. He is solid against players lower down the rankings and think he could beat Nadal.

Are you Australian?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
i think ive found my new best friend!

i agree with everything you just said!!!!!!!!

and no im not australian ha ha, just from the first time i saw hewitt at the notts open (and got his autograph and shook his hand) ive thought he was awesome. ever since, he has been by far my favourite player on the tour.
Reply 14
antics
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
i think ive found my new best friend!

i agree with everything you just said!!!!!!!!

and no im not australian ha ha, just from the first time i saw hewitt at the notts open (and got his autograph and shook his hand) ive thought he was awesome. ever since, he has been by far my favourite player on the tour.

Ive hated Hewitt for years. Everything about him, the 'come on' *******s, the arrogance in his body language, the fact he is Australian and the fact he always beat Henman.
I agree with Economists last TWO posts :biggrin:
they're some of the reasons why i love him!!!!!!!!

pim pim is my second favourite, the gasquet, then the scud, then berdych
(obviously love federer and agassi due to the fact they are so good)
who are your twos favourites?
Reply 17
antics
they're some of the reasons why i love him!!!!!!!!

pim pim is my second favourite, the gasquet, then the scud, then berdych
(obviously love federer and agassi due to the fact they are so good)
who are your twos favourites?

Firstly Henman deserves a mention, always wanted him to win. He is a decent bloke as well! Got his autograph at Wimbledon a few years back when he was coming off centre court :biggrin:

But when you are looking for real class Agassi has always been my favourite player. His style of play is amazing. Stands well inside the baseline and just hits shot after shot into the corners.

Sort of taking over from Agassi now if you can call it that is Federer. Didnt like him too much in the early stages until he won his 1st Wimbledon where I realised his ability and his personality, everything concerned with his old coach dieing in a car accident etc. Just the perfect sportsman imo. I could quite happily watch only Federer for the rest of my life, just phenominal.

Then you have Murray, Coria (if he was 5 inches taller he would be pusing Federer) and Gasquet.

white_haired_wizard
I agree with Economists last TWO posts :biggrin:

:biggrin:!
i remember when blake said when he was in hospital federer was the only person on tour to send him a card:frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 19
antics
i remember when blake said when he was in hospital federer was the only person on tour to send him a card:frown: :frown: :frown:

Yeah, a true gent

Latest