The Student Room Group

AS AQA ICT Coursework...master tips?

Hi
I'm currently doing my Microsoft Excel coursework for AS AQA ICT...the final deadline is the coming Monday, and my teacher says that at the moment, I'm heading for a low A. I've pretty much spent forever on this, and tried really hard, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for little things to add to get a few extra marks? I'd like a comfortable A overall..

Anyone got any advice or in the same situation? Thanks loads :smile:
Reply 1
ive just completed my AS ICT coursework for AQA and hoping to get an A too. ive done just over a 100 pages!!!! :eek:

our teacher gave us a checklist and you need to have certain things like:

PsuedoCode Macros
Data Capture
Effective Solution
User Manual
Showing the faults that occured and how u corrected them, dont say that ur soluton is perfect.

i cant think of anything else! i just took loads of screenshots and annotated them to say what they represent.

there must be some more things but i cant think of anything, sorry!!

frm hatty341
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply Hatty :smile: and good luck with yours! I've done about that amount too! Having such a lot of pages is really inconvenient because you can never find anything you're looking for, lol.
I've done a lot of screenshots also, and a detailed user guide, macros and so on. Sounds like I'm pretty much up to scratch apart from maybe trying to find a few more problems, so I can make a big deal out of corrective measures!

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
mooncheese89
Thanks for the reply Hatty :smile: and good luck with yours! I've done about that amount too! Having such a lot of pages is really inconvenient because you can never find anything you're looking for, lol.
I've done a lot of screenshots also, and a detailed user guide, macros and so on. Sounds like I'm pretty much up to scratch apart from maybe trying to find a few more problems, so I can make a big deal out of corrective measures!

Thanks for your help :smile:

thanx for the luck and good luck with urs too!!!

that good that u have done that amount too, becoz in our class its only me and my mate who have done over a 100 pages, and the rest of the class have done about 29 - 50 pages, and we thought that we have done too much!!! :smile:
Reply 4
got a few tips for the testin area:

TO create a good test plan, there must be at leat 30 tests for the system. Even if the whole system works, make sure that something doesnt, so you can write about about it in the testin area. Alos try and make at least 3 correcitve actions and take screen shots of what went wronf, and how you solved it.

If i can get my as coursework back (think i got a low A) i will give you a few more tips

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
argh!!! ive only done 12 tests!!! but some of them went wrong and i showed how i corrected them, plus my system is very very very small!!! and there were loads of other errors that occured in my implementation so i mentioned that too.

oh well, i cant change it now, bcos ive given it in already. i really hate that, when ur finishing the cwk you think of lots of good ideas! lol
Reply 6
Lol yeah I know what you mean. It's like when you finish an exam and then think of loads of really good points.

Don't worry, I've done less than 30 tests too. But I was hoping it wouldn't matter too much as long as we've included typical, extreme and erroneous data, and covered as much as we can. Your number of tests are probably fine if your system is small.
Thanks Hatty for your comments :smile:

And thanks to Fatant also, for the advice on the corrective measures, screenshots etc. I'll be sure to do that this week ready to hand in :smile:

Thanks guys
Reply 7
When you make corrective action in the Implementation, do you then modifiy the Design you made in spec...or leave it like it was and state in implementation that the design would be different since i would have need to change it...do you actually change the design part?

Thanks a lot
From John
Reply 8
Neo1
When you make corrective action in the Implementation, do you then modifiy the Design you made in spec...or leave it like it was and state in implementation that the design would be different since i would have need to change it...do you actually change the design part?

Thanks a lot
From John

well they are expecting that your orginal desgin wont be exactly like the final product.

Just say in you evalution what you have changed, and why
Reply 9
^^^ I agree with the above. I think a large amount of marks are gained by pointing out problems and mistakes with the system, and correcting them. So if your final product is very different from the designs, so much the better, as long as you explain what and why you changed things.
i got 114/120 in my as coursework
i got 114/120 in my as coursework
Reply 12
Your teacher (who has seen your coursework!) should be able to give you a more specific idea of what you ened to do to get the mark up. If it was a grade E project it would probably be quite easy to give tips but as it is we're just guessing what's losing you the few marks

Read through the marking criteria in the spec and see if you score in the highest band for each section and if not then do them. Has your teacher given you a break down of your marks by section? If so then which ones are furthest away from the top mark?
Reply 13
The list i am working with is here:

Specification Problem 0.5 Basic Statement of the problem outlining what the problem is.
0.5 Detailed Statement of the Problem +inf gathering
End User Requirements 0.5 At least 6 Essential features essential
0.5 At least 10 Essential features essential
0.5 Reason for Features Explained
0.5 At least 2 Non-Essential/Optional Features
0.5 Non-Essential/Optional Features Explained
Inputs and Outputs 0.5 List of ALL outputs needed for system to function correctly included essential
0.5 Correct Inputs for the Outputs
0.5 How one converts the inputs into the outputs
Evaluation Criteria 0.5 At least 14 evaluation criteria essential
0.5 Sensible means of seeing if criteria met
System Designs 0.5 Story Board Detailing Navigation Around System
0.5 Story Board annotated to explain why the layout has been chosen
0.5 Detailed Annotated Table Designs
0.5 Relational Database chosen – entity relationship diagram included essential
0.5 Detailed Annotated Form Designs essential
0.5 Detailed Annotated Report Designs essential
0.5 Detailed Annotated Query Designs essential
0.5 3rd Party Can Implement the Design
Planning for Testing 0.5 Completed Test Strategy
0.5 Completed Test Plan
0.5 Completed Test Plan Giving Expected Results and Looking at testing with Data
0.5 Basic Normal Test Data
0.5 Extreme and Non-Valid Test Data essential
Implementation Solution 1 present but not practicably operable
1 partial solution, but what is done is usable
1 operable but has inefficiencies
1 effective and operable in proposed environment
1 complete set used and evidenced
appropriate techniques 1 few techniques
Drop down lists, macros, use of images 1 some used, partial evidence
1 some used good evidence
1 appropriate techniques used
1 full set of a t's used and evidenced
Generic and package skills 1 simplistic/not used appropriately
Eg validation, relationships 1 employed but not always effectively or appropriately Validation essential
1 employed effectively and appropriately
1 fully and effectively emplyed
1 fully and effectively employed and well evidenced
Hardware and software 1 not justified for your solution
1 vaguely justified for your solution
1 some have been fully justified for your solution
1 most choices fully justified for your solution
1 all choices fully justified for your solution
Testing Strategy and plan 1 followed in limirted way using only normal data
1 followed systematically using normal erroneous and extreme data essential
1 followed systematically but using only normal data
Results of testing 1 little evidence