The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Mladenov
Hint (Problem 23)

Spoiler

There should be a more concise solution.

There is :colone:

There is a way of doing this question where I'd peg the method as **/***, but it is definitely possible with very simple methods
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 121
Subbing post (and admission of spending a couple of hours here instead of doing revision...)
Reply 122
Original post by shamika
There is :colone:

There is a way of doing this question where I'd peg the method as **/***, but it is definitely possible with very simple methods

It's an interesting problem, and it looks like:

(i,j,k)Sijk=(n+2)!(n3)!5!\displaystyle\sum_{(i,j,k)\in S} ijk = \dfrac{(n+2)!}{(n-3)!5!}

and for:

i+j+k=n+1i+j+k = n+1

x+y+z=nx+y+z = n

(i,j,k)S1(ijk)(x,y,z)S2(xyz)=(n+34)\displaystyle\sum_{(i,j,k)\in S_1} (ijk) - \displaystyle\sum_{(x,y,z)\in S_2} (xyz) = {n+3 \choose 4}

Where (n+34){n+3 \choose 4} is the nth pentatopic number.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by Noble.
It's an interesting problem, and it looks like:

(i,j,k)Sijk=(n+2)!(n3)!5!\displaystyle\sum_{(i,j,k)\in S} ijk = \dfrac{(n+2)!}{(n-3)!5!}

and for:

i+j+k=n+1i+j+k = n+1

x+y+z=nx+y+z = n

(i,j,k)S1(ijk)(x,y,z)S2(xyz)=(n+34)\displaystyle\sum_{(i,j,k)\in S_1} (ijk) - \displaystyle\sum_{(x,y,z)\in S_2} (xyz) = {n+3 \choose 4}

Where (n+34){n+3 \choose 4} is the nth pentatopic number.

So for the original sum...

Spoiler

Can you prove it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Solution 29

By Van der Waerden's theorem (an)n1(a_n)_{n\geq 1} must contain arbitrarily long arithmetic progressions hence there are infinitely many finite sequences (pn)1nk(p_{n})_{1\leq n\leq k} for which apn=ap1+(n1)ha_{p_{n}}=a_{p_{1}}+(n-1)h with k>ap1k>a_{p_1}. By fixing n1=ap1n-1=a_{p_1} we have ap1apna_{p_1}|a_{p_n} as desired. There are infinitely many such sequences hence there are infinitely many ordered pairs (p,q):apaq(p,q):\,a_{p}|a_{q}
(edited 11 years ago)
Problem 30*

More limits & integrals?

Evaluate limn(01dx1+xn)n\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty} \left(\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{1+x^n}\right)^n
Original post by metaltron

You have integrated incorrectly, ddyeynney\dfrac{d}{dy}e^{yn}\neq ne^{y}

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lord of the Flies
You have integrated incorrectly, ddyeynney\dfrac{d}{dy}e^{yn}\neq ne^{y}

Spoiler

Thanks. Got rid of it now as it was all completely wrong then! Might look at it again tomorrow when I'm more awake.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Indeterminate

Check that expansion - it isn't valid on the interval!
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Check that expansion - it isn't valid on the interval!

Indeed :banghead:

I was wondering why it seemed so easy. I'll try something different :smile:
Reply 130
Solution 30

Using the binomial expansion and integrating, we find that:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle\lim_{n\to \infty} \left( \int^1_0 \frac{dx}{1+x^n} \right)^n=\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(1-\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{2n+1}-\frac{1}{3n+1}+...\right)^n\\& \displaystyle=\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(1-\left(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{2n}+\frac{1}{3n}+... \right) \right)^n \\& =\displaystyle\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(1-\frac{1}{n}\int^1_0 \frac{dx}{1+x}\right)^n \\& =\displaystyle\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(1-\frac{\ln2}{n}\right)^n \\& =\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by und
Solution 30

-snip-

& =\displaystyle\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(1-\frac{\ln2}{n}\right)^n \\& =\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}

Lol, way to trip right in front of the finish line..

EDIT: Right, ignore this then.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aznkid66
Lol, way to trip right in front of the finish line..

Blithering idiot.

\displaystyle\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(1-\frac{\ln2}{n}\right)^n & =\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}

Lol, I got warning points for this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 133
Problem 31*

Find all real numbers x, y and z which satisfy the simultaneous equations x24y+7=0x^2-4y+7=0, y26z+14=0y^2-6z+14=0 and z22x7=0z^2-2x-7=0.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by und
Problem 31

Find all real numbers x, y and z which satisfy the simultaneous equations x24y+7=0x^2-4y+7=0, y26z+14=0y^2-6z+14=0 and z22x7=0z^2-2x-7=0.

Solution 31

Adding the three equations:

x22x+y24y+z26z=14x^2 - 2x + y^2 - 4y + z^2 - 6z = -14

Completing the square:

(x1)2+(y2)2+(z3)2=0(x-1)^2 + (y-2)^2 + (z-3)^2 = 0

Hence x=1,y=2,z=3x = 1, y = 2, z = 3
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 135
Problem 32*

Find all positive integers nn such that 12n11912n-119 and 75n53975n-539 are both perfect squares.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by und

Original post by Upper Echelons

I thought und answered his own question there for a second :lol:

Solution 32

32 Solution

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 137
Problem 33

Determine ba1(ax)(xb)dx\int\limits_b^a {\frac{1}{{\sqrt {(a - x)(x - b)} }}} {\rm{ }}dx
Original post by Benjy100
Problem 33

Determine ba1(ax)(xb)dx\int\limits_b^a {\frac{1}{{\sqrt {(a - x)(x - b)} }}} {\rm{ }}dx

Surely this has asymptotes in the interval you've given?
Solution 33

Method 1:

Letting x=bcos2t+asin2tx=b\cos^2 t+a\sin^2 t gives:

badx(ax)(xb)=0π/22dt=π\displaystyle \int_b^a \frac{dx}{\sqrt{(a-x)(x-b)}} = \int_0^{\pi/2} 2 dt =\pi

Method 2:

ba1(ax)(xb)  dx=iab1(ax)(bx)  dx\displaystyle\int_b^a \frac{1}{\sqrt{(a-x)(x-b)}}\;dx=i\int_a^b \frac{1}{\sqrt{(a-x)(b-x)}}\;dx

=2iab(12ax+12bx)(1ax+bx)  dx=\displaystyle -2i\int_a^b\left(\frac{-1}{2\sqrt{a-x}}+\frac{-1}{2\sqrt{b-x}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{a-x}+\sqrt{b-x}}\right)\;dx

=2iln(ax+bx)ab=iln(abba)=π=-2i\ln(\sqrt{a-x}+\sqrt{b-x})|_a^b=-i\ln\left(\dfrac{a-b}{b-a}\right)=\pi

(taking the principal branch - I'm sure that can be justified)
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest