The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by shamika
Given that in the second limit you're going to take the limit to infinity anyway, how about in the first limit you...

(The limits have to be this way around, because otherwise it causes issues when you have irrational x)

I mentioned that I took m->∞ when I was finding the first limit; is that not enough? Or why can't we just write m=n?
Reply 221
Original post by und
I mentioned that I took m->∞ when I was finding the first limit; is that not enough? Or why can't we just write m=n?

Ordinarily, you would care what m is doing in the first (inner) limit, because as you've pointed out, the result you've stated only holds for mqm \geq q . However, this isn't a problem overall, since when you look at the second limit...
Reply 222
Problem 44***

Let P(n)P(n) be a polynomial with coefficients in Z\mathbb{Z}. Suppose that deg(P)=p\deg(P)=p, where pp is a prime number. Suppose also that P(n)P(n) is irreducible over Z\mathbb{Z}. Then there exists a prime number qq such that qq does not divide P(n)P(n) for any integer nn.

Problem 45*

Let pp be a prime number, p>3p> 3. Given that the equation pk+pl+pm=n2p^{k}+p^{l}+p^{m}=n^{2} has an integer solution, then p1(mod8)p \equiv -1 \pmod 8.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 223
Original post by shamika
Ordinarily, you would care what m is doing in the first (inner) limit, because as you've pointed out, the result you've stated only holds for mqm \geq q . However, this isn't a problem overall, since when you look at the second limit...

Can we make m arbitrarily large in the first place?
Reply 224
Original post by und
Can we make m arbitrarily large in the first place?

Yes. I'm trying to hint strongly as to why but clearly I'm being useless at hinting :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes

Original post by bananarama2

Original post by joostan

Yeah, as has been said, the problem with that method is the partial fraction decomposition, it's not an identity
Reply 226
Original post by shamika
Yes. I'm trying to hint strongly as to why but clearly I'm being useless at hinting :tongue:

The only thing that I see in that limit is m->∞, but I know nothing about repeated limits so I don't know what the conditions are for using this fact in the first limit.
Reply 227
Original post by und
The only thing that I see in that limit is m->∞, but I know nothing about repeated limits so I don't know what the conditions are for using this fact in the first limit.

In this case, assume you can use that fact :smile:

I think the thing that's confusing you is that you might be thinking that one limit is applied first and then the other. They're both being applied at the same time, that is, the following doesn't happen:

1) fix an m
2) calculate the inner limit
3) then calculate the outer limit.

Think of it as both occurring simultaneously. To be honest, I was envisaging the difficulty of trying to swap the limits around, but in the case x is rational, it's ok to do so (at least, the result is the same either way)

However, I think you've sufficiently understood to be able to credit yourself with the answer. Let me know if you want me to write something up, but it'll essentially be what I've already tried to explain :tongue:

EDIT: this happened to be on a tripos paper - and Gowers also has a crack at explaining it (see the comments in: http://gowers.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/a-look-at-a-few-tripos-questions-ii/#comments
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 228
Original post by Felix Felicis
Problem 42*/**

Show that r=0881cosrcos(r+1)=cos1sin21\displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{88} \dfrac{1}{\cos r \cdot \cos (r+1)} = \dfrac{\cos 1}{\sin^{2} 1}

(angles measured in degrees)

Solution 42

r=0881cosrcos(r+1)=1sin(1)r=088sin(1)cosrcos(r+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{88} \dfrac{1}{\cos r \cdot \cos (r+1)} = \dfrac{1}{\sin(1)} \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{88} \dfrac{\sin(1)}{\cos r \cdot \cos (r+1)}

=1sin(1)r=088sin(1)cos(0)sin(0)cos(1)cosrcos(r+1) = \dfrac{1}{\sin(1)} \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{88} \dfrac{\sin(1)\cdot \cos(0) - \sin(0) \cdot \cos(1)}{\cos r \cdot \cos (r+1)}

=1sin(1)r=189tan(r)1sin(1)r=088tan(r) = \dfrac{1}{\sin(1)} \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{89} \tan(r) - \dfrac{1}{\sin(1)} \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{88} \tan(r)

=tan(89)sin(1)=cot(1)sin(1)=cos(1)sin2(1) = \dfrac{\tan(89)}{\sin(1)} = \dfrac{\cot(1)}{\sin(1)} = \dfrac{\cos(1)}{\sin^2(1)}
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Noble.

Awesome :biggrin:
I've got it. It you plot lateral binary graph associated with the symbolic mathematical solutions, you can reduced the problem down to simple SNF's. And by using Dalek's contraction algorithm the answer is: the physical quantity of dimensions m to the ml to the lq to the qt
to the ttheta to the x has planck quantity root g minus m plus l minus 2q
plus t hbar to the m plus l minus q plus t minus xe to the minus m minus l minus 7q minus 3t plus 6xk to the minus 2x epsilon 0 to the q.

You know the answer to a set theory question is wrong when it contains the word "planck" :pierre:
Original post by ukdragon37
You know the answer to a set theory question is wrong when it contains the word "planck" :pierre:

:teehee:

tehee

(edited 11 years ago)
Solution 43:

Firstly, we have to apply the limit as n becomes arbitrarily large. As the power increases, there are one of three possibilities:

1<cosx<1 -1<cosx<1 , in which case it will approach zero.

cosx=1 cosx = 1 , in which case it will remain at one.

cosx=1 cosx = -1 , in which case it will oscillate between -1 and 1.

Next, look at the different possibilities of m with regards to x. If x is rational, then sufficiently large m will contain the denominator of x and a multiple of 2, making x a multiple of 2π 2\pi so that the overall thing will reach a limit of 1. However, if x is irrational then it is impossible for it to become an integer multiple of π \pi . Because of this, cosx will approach zero as n tends towards infinity as the magnitude of cosx will be less than one.
My solution to #42 is absolutely horrendous :lol: even the latex code hates it.
..And by using Dalek's contraction algorithm the answer is:

:nope::nope::nope:
Reply 234
Original post by DJMayes
Solution 43:

Firstly, we have to apply the limit as n becomes arbitrarily large. As the power increases, there are one of three possibilities:

1<cosx<1 -1<cosx<1 , in which case it will approach zero.

cosx=1 cosx = 1 , in which case it will remain at one.

cosx=1 cosx = -1 , in which case it will oscillate between -1 and 1.

Next, look at the different possibilities of m with regards to x. If x is rational, then sufficiently large m will contain the denominator of x and a multiple of 2, making x a multiple of 2π 2\pi so that the overall thing will reach a limit of 1. However, if x is irrational then it is impossible for it to become an integer multiple of π \pi . Because of this, cosx will approach zero as n tends towards infinity as the magnitude of cosx will be less than one.

You don't need the third case because you're looking at the limit of cos2x \cos^2 x (and hence you can simplify the rest of the proof) But yes, that's essentially it :smile:
Reply 235
Original post by shamika
EDIT: this happened to be on a tripos paper - and Gowers also has a crack at explaining it (see the comments in: http://gowers.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/a-look-at-a-few-tripos-questions-ii/#comments

Thanks for this. I guess it's the sort of thing where introducing some rigour can clear up any confusion.
Original post by Mladenov
Problem 45*

Let pp be a prime number, p3p\ge 3. Given that the equation pk+pl+pm=n2p^{k}+p^{l}+p^{m}=n^{2} has an integer solution, then p1(mod8)p \equiv -1 \pmod 8.

k=l=m=1,  p=n=3k = l = m = 1,\; p = n = 3 satisfies that equation. Is there something missing from the question?
Original post by Lord of the Flies
k=l=m=1,  p=n=3k = l = m = 1,\; p = n = 3 satisfies that equation. Is there something missing from the question?

What's even more worrying is p isn't congruent to -1mod8. I just spent ages on this question!
Original post by Lord of the Flies
That was my point.

Yeah I know :wink: Anyway, let me type up where I got to. I think p must either be congruent to 3mod8 or 7mod8.
Reply 239
Original post by ukdragon37

:rofl:

This feels like a challenge to come up with something. Now if only I knew any physics...

Quick Reply

Latest