The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a friend (int'l applicant) who's still waiting for a decision on his medicine (A100?) application.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Yeah, I'm international too... :/
I'm waiting for Ba hum & soc sc with major sbj in Chinese.
If they accept me it's gonna be my firm choice, if they reject me I can start thinking about a GAP year...
The waiting is going to kill me (5 months already!)
Reply 3
don't worry about it, and don't jump to the conclusion it might be a rejection. I was at the Post Applicant Visit Day yesterday and they said that 24000 (yes- twenty four THOUSAND!!!) people applied to the faculty of humanities and social sciences alone.

so, they have many many many applications to read so your might just be at the bottom. the reply will come soon enough, though I know how dreadful it is waiting- but, trust me, when you get your last reply it is the most amazng feeling!

good luck all!
Reply 4
hello_its_me_
don't worry about it, and don't jump to the conclusion it might be a rejection. I was at the Post Applicant Visit Day yesterday and they said that 24000 (yes- twenty four THOUSAND!!!) people applied to the faculty of humanities and social sciences alone.

so, they have many many many applications to read so your might just be at the bottom. the reply will come soon enough, though I know how dreadful it is waiting- but, trust me, when you get your last reply it is the most amazng feeling!

good luck all!

:eek:!
Reply 5
hello_its_me_
I was at the Post Applicant Visit Day yesterday and they said that 24000 (yes- twenty four THOUSAND!!!) people applied to the faculty of humanities and social sciences alone

That's... That's... That's so daunting…
24000 applicants! And me among all those straight A! :frown:
Reply 6
hello_its_me_
I was at the Post Applicant Visit Day yesterday and they said that 24000 (yes- twenty four THOUSAND!!!) people applied to the faculty of humanities and social sciences alone.

I must have missed that talk when I went up... really makes me appriciate my offer.

My friend is still waiting to hear for English Lit, so I don't think they have finished the humanities department applications yet. Which is rather stupid considering the post application days have passed.
Reply 7
Yeah I still haven't heard either.. It's getting so annoying though as it'd be my first choice if I get an offer.
Reply 8
Is there a deadline? I mean - we had one sothe unis should have one too! :smile:
Do they send any offers/rejections after the 31.03?
Reply 9
well i got two uncond from them and im not quite straight A so really dont worry!

i know, i was flabbergasted when i heard 24000! thats from all over the world. they only admit 2000, so thats 12 applicants per place!

every uni mjust HAVE REPLIED BY END OF MARCH. dont worry, any day now...
Reply 10
hello_its_me_
well i got two uncond from them and im not quite straight A so really dont worry!

i know, i was flabbergasted when i heard 24000! thats from all over the world. they only admit 2000, so thats 12 applicants per place!

every uni mjust HAVE REPLIED BY END OF MARCH. dont worry, any day now...

are you sure ? i thought it was april.

**edit** this is what it says on UCAS deadline dates :

31 March 2006
–

Universities and Colleges should aim to have sent decisions on all applications received by 15 January.
Reply 11
bearing in mind, these uni's will not want tp take too long, reading applications wont be fun and if there is a suggested deadline like March 31st then they will hit it, i am sure of it. admittedky they could take longer but i honestly dont think they will.

they will have their own targets and they will just start to put people off by not replying soon.

they ucas people will word it that way ("aim to have decision sent") so that if the uni hasn't given an offer/rejection by then, at least their back is covered (also, it would stop people woorying about a late reply).

*are you sure ? i thought it was april.*

31st March is the end of march, not april! lol!
Reply 12
I meant i thought April was the latest.... I know what you mean, but i know quite a few people who applied last year and didnt hear until mid-april. Edinburgh have changed their advice for UCAS applicants though, it used to say we can take until April to decide and now it just says be patient. So i assume they're reaching the end of applications... I'm still waiting, so annoying !
Reply 13
Alias667
Edinburgh have changed their advice for UCAS applicants though, it used to say we can take until April to decide and now it just says be patient. So i assume they're reaching the end of applications...

I rang the ad.of. up and they told me to be patient and that they will send me a reply by the end of next week (31.03).

Alias667
I'm still waiting, so annoying!

:dito:
Reply 14
Thanks for the info kashiya. I think one of the problems with Edinburgh (in my experience) is they make false promises then get annoyed when you chase them up because they havent fulfilled what they said they'd do. In my case i asked for my course to be changed and it took two months to find out whether it'd been done or not, all that happened was a day after I asked for the transferral my UCAS showed my app as unsuccesful. They emailed me just the other day to say my app has been given to the admissions officer and they will consider it the week after everyone elses offers/rejections have been decided as its a special request !
Reply 15
:/ That's bad news... Coz I did the same (course change).
But I don't get a thing: "all that happened was a day after I asked for the transferral my UCAS showed my app as unsuccesful" is after or before: "They emailed me just the other day to say my app has been given to the admissions officer and they will consider it the week after everyone elses offers/rejections have been decided as its a special request !" ?
Is it that they first rejected you and than emailed that they will consider it later (which is weird) or that they send you the email that they will consider it later and shortly after rejected (which is ... :mad: )?
I asked them for a course change early January, even my teacher rung them up and they told her that they are buisy, but it is not a problem and "i have to be patient" (I hate this phrase!) and nothing has changed since then (no inf on UCAS about the course change).
You made me worried... I hope they didn't loose it and that they REALLY will answer till friday. :frown:
Reply 16
No, i asked them to transfer my application and my original course (Politics & Philosophy) came up two days later on UCAS track as unsuccesful, i assume this is to clear me from their system for that course (about two months ago). I then emailed them to ask what was going on and they didnt reply with confirmation that it had been transferred, so i sent them an email every week to ask what the status was to no avail until recently, when they emailed me saying that my application is in the hands of the admissions tutor for my transferred course (Politics & Religions)
Reply 17
Uhum... Maybe I should stick to it a bit more. I thought 2 emails and one phone is enough. I don't know what I should do now: whether I should call them again or whether I should wait. But than, there is the deadline on 3.04 for a scholarship that I wanted to apply for (of course if they give me a conditional). I'm so-so-so angry!!! Well I have time till monday to mediatate on it :biggrin:
My original course was also politics and philosophy :smile:
kashiya
That's... That's... That's so daunting…
24000 applicants! And me among all those straight A! :frown:

I got no where near AAAAA and they gave me a UC... obviously I have a very persuasive personality...
Reply 19
kashiya
Uhum... Maybe I should stick to it a bit more. I thought 2 emails and one phone is enough. I don't know what I should do now: whether I should call them again or whether I should wait. But than, there is the deadline on 3.04 for a scholarship that I wanted to apply for (of course if they give me a conditional). I'm so-so-so angry!!! Well I have time till monday to mediatate on it :biggrin:
My original course was also politics and philosophy :smile:

why did you transfer ? i changed my mind about the course, and you do philosophy in religous studies anyway. would then combine religous studies with politics.

Latest