The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What do you wish people had told you about Lancaster before you started?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by villageboy
I have also applied and am super curious about the place.

I care about global standings in a globalized era, and is Lancaster well regarded?

It is gaining reputation and the rankings above show that. It is in the top 50 in the world for sociology and has an internationally renowned business school, but I don't know how it does for other subjects tbh.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by Vijay2010
Bring a TV with some kind of games console because there isn't an overwhelming amount to do in Lancaster allthe time and it's a big effort to go to town (especially when other people won't go as well).
Join as many societies as possible.
Don't be surprised by how much work you end up doing in the first year (unless you do a Management School subject; in that case prepare for a lot of free time).
Don't choose en-suite accommodation; there's no point, sharing a shower and a toilet isn't even bad and the £20 you save a week will have a HUGE impact on you.
SPAR shop is good for day-to-day things; LUSU shop is expensive.
There's lots of countryside, so expect it to smell like manure at least once a week/every 2 weeks.
Don't choose Pendle or Cartmel college, Furness is the best (no bias, honest).
Don't be nervous when you move in; everyone's in the same position and the people are amazingly friendly (especially on Freshers, which is the best week of my life so far).
Related to that; bring costumes for Freshers, you won't feel left out if you don't (I didn't), but its fun :smile:
Lancaster will be the best decision ever made (it is for the majority of people here, including me), but just prepare for these facts of life :biggrin:

P.S. There are a lot of chinese people (seriously, a lot), which might make project work harder

Hi- i'm looking to apply in 2013 for the Economics with study abroad and i was just wondering how it works? Do you need a lot of extra money to afford it and as long as you keep up a good standard is it a given that you will go abroad??

Also- are the facilities in the schools department good?

Thanks very much- this thread has been invaluable!
People are making me worried about getting bored.. I also worry about knowing people (I am an exchanging student from brazil).... What do students do for fun and hangout?
Honestly, it's so boring. Not even joking.
Reply 64
Original post by affinity89

Word of warning with swapping courses. Some courses are a little harder to swap into - even if you take it as a minor, sometimes you cannot swap into it because major students have studied double that subject [rather than a single amount of that subject]. Similarly, you can [or could a year or so back] take Law as a minor but you cannot swap into law because their students do three lots of law in the first year [no minors]. That said, for many subjects the system works really well and can give you a lot of flexibility, but I just want to stress the limits that do exist. :smile:

If the Law students take no minors in the first year, can they pick up minors in the second year?
People who negged me for saying it's boring are easily pleased.

Sugar which is supposed to be one of the best clubs in Lancaster is absolutely terrible! You guys need to go on a night out in Manchester, Liverpool, Chester if you think lancaster is good!
Reply 66
Original post by Astonix
If the Law students take no minors in the first year, can they pick up minors in the second year?

I'm fairly sure not, I think Law and Crim is an option as a joint degree, but otherwise no minors can be taken. I'd check that properly with the department though.

Original post by slacker07906

Sugar which is supposed to be one of the best clubs in Lancaster is absolutely terrible! You guys need to go on a night out in Manchester, Liverpool, Chester if you think lancaster is good!

Please let's not judge Lancaster on the Sugarhouse.
Reply 67

:rofl:
Chester is basically a choice between Rosies: mediocre, cheesey music but nice smoking area and Cruise: underage chavs. The club scene is arguably worse than lancaster. For pubs/bars it's pretty close, though I prefer Lancaster because I prefer the people here.
Reply 68

If your only criteria for judging whether a place is boring or not is the quality of nightlife, then you sound like a pretty boring guy.
Original post by edd360
If your only criteria for judging whether a place is boring or not is the quality of nightlife, then you sound like a pretty boring guy.

Like it or not, the nightlife is a big part of student life.

Of course, I haven't judged how good Lancaster is based solely on the night life, I have made my judgement based upon other things as well.

I just find Lancaster a generally boring place to be. That's based on my own preferences and what I like to do, not everyone will feel the same.
Reply 70
Like it or not, the nightlife is a big part of student life.

Of course, I haven't judged how good Lancaster is based solely on the night life, I have made my judgement based upon other things as well.

I just find Lancaster a generally boring place to be. That's based on my own preferences and what I like to do, not everyone will feel the same.

Yeah I appreciate that nightlife is important to many students, but if you back-track for a second to your comment:

"People who negged me for saying it's boring are easily pleased.

Sugar which is supposed to be one of the best clubs in Lancaster is absolutely terrible! You guys need to go on a night out in Manchester, Liverpool, Chester if you think lancaster is good!"

From that post you imply that your only criteria is the nightlife, as you are essentially saying this:

You: Lancaster is boring.

Person A: No it isn't.

You: If you think Lancaster has a good nightlife you should try Manchester.

That is literally what you said. You assumed the other person was also talking about the nightlife when they said it wasn't boring. You seem to have it in your head than when talking about a place being boring or not that only means nightlife. As I said, if that is the case, then you sound like a boring person. If this isn't the case, then stop talking as though it is the only factor.

I agree the nightlife is pretty ****, but if you are bored in Lancaster you have only yourself to blame.
Original post by edd360
Yeah I appreciate that nightlife is important to many students, but if you back-track for a second to your comment:

"People who negged me for saying it's boring are easily pleased.

Sugar which is supposed to be one of the best clubs in Lancaster is absolutely terrible! You guys need to go on a night out in Manchester, Liverpool, Chester if you think lancaster is good!"

From that post you imply that your only criteria is the nightlife, as you are essentially saying this:

You: Lancaster is boring.

Person A: No it isn't.

You: If you think Lancaster has a good nightlife you should try Manchester.

That is literally what you said. You assumed the other person was also talking about the nightlife when they said it wasn't boring. You seem to have it in your head than when talking about a place being boring or not that only means nightlife. As I said, if that is the case, then you sound like a boring person. If this isn't the case, then stop talking as though it is the only factor.

I agree the nightlife is pretty ****, but if you are bored in Lancaster you have only yourself to blame.

To be honest, I'm too busy to reply.
To be honest, I'm too busy to reply.

How ironic.
Reply 73
Lancaster has a number of good things going for it. I can't personally comment on the nightlife as it's something I've never been involved in but there are numerous things to do.

1. There's the sports centre on campus and a number of open fields you can go and use.
2. There are 100's of clubs and societies you can join ranging from archery to harry potter.
3. A number of fantastic pubs. I personally like The White Cross and the quiz it does on Tuesdays is brilliant and well attended.
4. There's 9 bars on campus, with facilities for playing pool/darts - though pool is pay to play. Live sport on TV is also available in some bars.
5. A fanatastic volunteering unit. I can't speak highly enough of the work LUSU Involve does and it provides great opportunities to get involved in the community either through projects with schools or environmental work.

And last but not least - it's just a short hop from the beautiful Lake District. You can catch a train or a bus from town to get out there in no time. It's one of the nicest parts of England in my opinion.
Reply 74
What do I wish they told me before I joined?

Don't go so wasted in Freshers that you miss the Freshers Fair... MAKE SURE YOU SIGN UP TO CLUBS AND SOCIETIES, it'll be so important for your social life!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending