The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by muf_mur
hope these help

Thanks, they should help out lots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think there will also be one question on digital multimeters seeing as it has come up in most papers so far
Other such consistent topics include:
Electrical circuits (emf graphs, LDR/Thermistor circuits etc)
and usually one from the following:
Standing wave equations relating Tension in wire, length of wire, Frequency etc..
or
Photoelectric effect questions (possibly to do with lamps coated in ZnS, excitation/de-excitation in hydrogen atoms) etc
Reply 64
is there any difference between potential divider and variable resistor???
Original post by Lamalam
is there any difference between potential divider and variable resistor???

They're two very different things...
Reply 66
Original post by justinawe
They're two very different things...

Can u explain??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lamalam
Can u explain??

Posted from TSR Mobile

A variable resistor is just a resistor with a resistance that can be changed.

Potential divider might be a little difficult to explain on here... couldn't you look that one up in your textbook? Or Google it.
Reply 68
I have a big confusion with the uncertainty.
Where should i use the method used in JUNE 2011 (Add 1 or subtract 1 to find max/mean) and where should i use the normal way of calculating uncertainty : max-min/2
Reply 69
Lamalam they are esentially the same thing and are use interchangably for a level physics...that's all you need to know to be honest...And also i have a question...when doing a question in the exam that asks to plan an experiment...DO i have to write a whole essay-type answer with a procedure or can i just answer it as they have it in the marking scheme... For example

A. (draw labelled diagram)

B. (list appartus that aren't shown in the diagram)
And so forthand so forth...
Reply 70
All fine, but photocell, light intensity experiment r likely to come.
what are the answers to question 3 and 4 of the june 2009 paper?? please help
Reply 72
do accroding to the markscheme, u can see in the examiner's report that they expect us to answer to the point and with heading/pointers....
Reply 73
I have a big confusion with the uncertainty.
Where should i use the method used in JUNE 2011 (Add 1 or subtract 1 to find max/mean) and where should i use the normal way of calculating uncertainty : max-min/2
Reply 74
Original post by Lamalam
Can u explain?? Posted from TSR Mobile

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg
potential dividers usually consist (AS level) of two resistor, the current flowing through them is same bcz they r connected in series,

in simple word, if 2 resistance a present, the total voltage of circuit will split according to there resistance ratio and the voltage between them A-B and B-C will have different voltage,
ultimatley Vtotal =VAB+VBC.

according to first pic

V1=IR1 and V2=IR2 as I same u can write it as V1/V2=R2/R1

see this example
(second pic)

hope this helps
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Please when should i use method of:
Sin30+1
---------- and then max - mean
sin30-1

and when should i do simply range/2
Reply 76
KBenzema

well its simple

when u take a set of measurement (say length 10cm,11cm,12cm,13cm) u have to divide the range by two to get the uncertinity (10+11+12+13)/2

when u combine a set of measurement to get a quantity (refractive index) u have to use max-min/2

the set of reading there is the angles and the question ask uncertinity for refractive index (a quantity u calculate NOT measurement)

let me knw if u still have any doubt
What is the difference between metre rule, meter rule, rule and ruler?

I think measuring g, or finding the refractive index of a liquid or glass shall come
I reckon they are the only practicals left.
Or maybe rotation of angle of polarisation or showing independance of verticle and horizontal motion etc or hooks law or efficiency of electrical motor or output of a potential divider or investigating Newton's second law
Reply 78
I think we'll be asked to make a nuclear reactor using the materials supplied (usually consisting of 2 paper clips, a stick of chewing gum and length of thread). It will probably be fusion, as fission is a bit advanced for a-level. :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
What is the difference between metre rule, meter rule, rule and ruler?

I think measuring g, or finding the refractive index of a liquid or glass shall come
I reckon they are the only practicals left.
Or maybe rotation of angle of polarisation or showing independance of verticle and horizontal motion etc or hooks law or efficiency of electrical motor or output of a potential divider or investigating Newton's second law

Meter and Metre are the same different words but one of them is used in American English and the other in British English.

A rule is a ruler that starts on the edge and a ruler starts off set from the edge.
thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending