The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

'oooh wooow, so what, like teaching people to talk and stuff?':facepalm:
Im going to be studying speech and language therapy.
Original post by aidbro
Its usually more along the lines of a sympathetic 'that sounds hard' sort of response, although I can't wait to get stuck in!

Haha, that's fair enough. It's good fun :smile: Or so I've found thus far.
Reply 2202
Original post by LSD
I've never had any of these x) I get quite a lot of respect from family etc. especially cause I want to go into full time research, cancer/genetic disease etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? That's surprising, but good support! My problem with it is because my family expected me to go straight to medical school to become a doctor/ surgeon. Research not included. :/ But I do plan on showing them how important research has become ~ on par with an MD. :yep: haha
Reply 2203
Original post by kiki64
Really? That's surprising, but good support! My problem with it is because my family expected me to go straight to medical school to become a doctor/ surgeon. Research not included. :/ But I do plan on showing them how important research has become ~ on par with an MD. :yep: haha

Haha yeah, ahh I see, well straight from the off I made it quite clear that I had no interest in medicine/law/all that stuff etc, so nothing was expected of me other than to do something I really enjoy which most people knew was science related, then realised in first year that research was what I wanted to do :smile:
Original post by placebo24
I'm (hopefully) starting in September. The course at Nottingham is an interdisciplinary look at the early medieval age of England and Scandinavia through History. Archaeology and literature (in Old English and Old Norse). UCL's course is focused within their Scandinavian Studies department instead and includes teaching of a modern Scandinavian language :smile:

It sounds interesting :smile:
I do Archaeology and Anthropology and I usually get a variation of the following:

1. Oooh, sounds interesting... what is that???
2. Oh that's where you dig up bones, isn't it?
3. Can't wait to see you on Time Team!
4. That's 7 years, right? (No, I do not do architecture!)

:smile:
Reply 2206
-Software Engineering

"doesn't sound like HARD work"

lol get it?
Original post by Green Glass
"Im going to be a dental hygienist"

"Ohhh so your the person that hands the dentist the drill?"

:rolleyes:

You mean you don't hand the dentist the drill? :tongue:
Reply 2208
Went to a volunteering fayre, a representative of a charity asked me what degree I did, I told her, she said 'That's a bit of a nothing degree isn't it! Don't worry, we've got degrees like that!' Needless to say I don't think my degree is soft and I will never volunteer for that charity!
Original post by Bored31
Went to a volunteering fayre, a representative of a charity asked me what degree I did, I told her, she said 'That's a bit of a nothing degree isn't it! Don't worry, we've got degrees like that!' Needless to say I don't think my degree is soft and I will never volunteer for that charity!

haha what degree is it?
Reply 2210
Original post by Skip_Snip
haha what degree is it?

It's half Language and half Politics, (I know politics is sometimes considered soft). She did Media Studies and had the nerve to tell me that mine was soft!
I'm off to study sports journalism in September, when people ask me what I'm doing they said "I never knew you were good at P.e"

What?
Original post by niaphonic
I heard it was vets that had the highest suicide rate? ah well, yet another thing to look forward to in my future veterinary career :wink:

I heard that it was air traffic controllers. Not sure if that's correct though.
It's the same as anything, init. When I used to do stand-up, and somehow someone found out about it, they would always - I mean always - tell me about the funny thing they've come up with that I should say on stage.
They know someone who would love to do it as well.

They probably wouldn't, Games Programming is not about playing games (though we do that), it's sodding hard work.

Very satisfying though.
"Bio... what?"

or

"You must be clever then, huh?"

Em... I study Biomedicine.
For me it is,
"What type of engineering is that?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
"I'm studying Graphic Design"

This evokes the following kinds of response:

Oh so what does that mean?

So making posters and things?

Where do you see yourself after university?

What does that lead to?

:facepalm:
me: I do industrial product design
stranger: so like Argos work/like tables
Original post by Reformed2010
Every single reaction the first thing I get is...

[raised eyebrow] or [polite gasp] ''You want to be a politician then?

This would be like an English degree student asked ''You want to write a novel?''

:facepalm2:

I do both English Literature and Politics :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest