The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mythtakes
Obviously it depends on your department/subject, but I was told all our results would be uploaded to Mycampus on the same day. I'm single Honours though, so it might vary for joint!

I'm single Honours too. Thanks. That's preferable to having them released one by one. :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 6121
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I was at the Buchanan View UNITE place. I had a different experience from greeneyedgirl's; I reported that the window wouldn't close online about 5pm and at 8am the next day a repair man knocked on my door and fixed it in two minutes. Also our post office was a 5 minute walk away so when things didn't fit, I didn't have far to go. Laundry room, security, huge bins so things didn't pile up, plenty of space, clean, ensuite bathroom, 100% dependable internet connection ... :smile:

However it is REALLY over-priced and really bad for your social life as everyone locks themselves away in their rooms unless you talk in the kitchen area (which I rarely did as three girls were total bitches while the other two were the sweetest girls ever). I felt very isolated.

So ... maybe you should choose QM, they'll probably be similarly priced but you'll be with people at your uni.

Glad to read your comment, :smile: I am an International Post Graduate research student at the University of Glasgow, will be arriving in a weeks time and I have booked Buchanan as my choice of accommodation

I came across your post, and was happy to read a positive comment, got me relaxed.

I have done a lot of research about living in Glasgow, and have taken every decision after careful thought, but its that thing that we have, where we think too much about everything :smile:

Any Advice would be a welcome... as I am new to the United Kingdom as well.
Original post by Chenpan
Glad to read your comment, :smile: I am an International Post Graduate research student at the University of Glasgow, will be arriving in a weeks time and I have booked Buchanan as my choice of accommodation

I came across your post, and was happy to read a positive comment, got me relaxed.

I have done a lot of research about living in Glasgow, and have taken every decision after careful thought, but its that thing that we have, where we think too much about everything :smile:

I'm glad my post put your mind at rest. :smile: You'll have a good time, I kind of miss Buchanan View. It has everything you need!

Hmm nothing specific really comes to mind at the moment, you'll have a great time in Glasgow! :biggrin:
A moment of silence for the Hive.
Reply 6124
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I'm glad my post put your mind at rest. :smile: You'll have a good time, I kind of miss Buchanan View. It has everything you need!

Hmm nothing specific really comes to mind at the moment, you'll have a great time in Glasgow! :biggrin:

What was your mode of transportation from Buchanan View to the University of Glasgow?

I plan to use bike.. trying to find a good one for a reasonable price..
Reply 6125
Original post by G8D
The subway is like a 5 minute walk from there. Just in case you're feeling a bit lazy one day.

That's nice :smile: Thank you for the information ..
Original post by Chenpan

My blog (the link's in my sig) has a whole page about University of Glasgow and the city on it. I studied abroad last year in Canada and know how useful I would have found it having something similar :yep:
Reply 6127
Original post by greeneyedgirl
My blog (the link's in my sig) has a whole page about University of Glasgow and the city on it. I studied abroad last year in Canada and know how useful I would have found it having something similar :yep:

I am sorry I couldn't find your signature :frown: can you link it here?
Original post by Chenpan
I am sorry I couldn't find your signature :frown: can you link it here?

Yes of course, it's here http://wherethefoothillsmeettheprairies.blogspot.co.uk/p/university-of-glasgow.html
Reply 6129

Thanks for the Link.. I've already read that and have even book marked the page in my browsers for future reference, almost a week back..

I even commented on your blog and just noticed that you have replied "I'm sure you'll love Glasgow!"" :smile: "

Thanks for the wonderful blog
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6130
Got my results out today! Quick like! Any one else had theirs yet? :biggrin:
Original post by Chenpan
Thanks for the Link.. I've already read that and have even book marked the page in my browsers for future reference, almost a week back..

I even commented on your blog and just noticed that you have replied "I'm sure you'll love Glasgow!"" :smile: "

Thanks for the wonderful blog

Aha! Glad you found it useful! Reminds me I need to do one for Calgary when I get the chance!
Reply 6132
Aha! Glad you found it useful! Reminds me I need to do one for Calgary when I get the chance!

That would be nice.. Wish you had done that earlier or any time within the week.. so I could use to plan :smile:

Also, I was searching the forum for tips, and found your post regarding that in a thread.

If you don't tip at all then it is pretty scandalous, even if you get served in a nightclub you tip, you tip in taxis, you tip delivery guys even when you pay for delivery etc. etc. tis very frustrating

I will be using the taxi from Airport to Buchanan View, and searched online for pre-booking, I was wondering how much Should I be paying him as tip? The cost of journey is £26. Cause in my country we often pay 10% or a fixed denomination of 20 or 50. But that's an acceptable amount there.. If i do the same here, it would mean a lot when you look at the conversion. So an idea on the percentage or just a nominal amount for the £26 would be very helpful.

Also which one should I pick for the drop of point among the following to get to Buchanan View?

Popular Locations

Pick up: Oban

Pick up: Ardrossan

Pick up: Carlisle

Pick up: Fort William

Pick up: Renfrew

Other Locations

Pick up: Ardrossan

Pick up: Ballantrae

Pick up: Blantyre

Pick up: Carlisle

Pick up: Comrie

Pick up: Dalry

Pick up: East Kilbride

Pick up: Fort William

Pick up: Glasgow City Centre

Pick up: Greenock

Pick up: Kilmarnock

Pick up: Oban

Pick up: Renfrew

Pick up: Troon

Pick up: Turnberry Resort

Glasgow City Centre would be fine right?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chenpan
That would be nice.. Wish you had done that earlier or any time within the week.. so I could use to plan :smile:

Also, I was searching the forum for tips, and found your post regarding that in a thread.

My comment about tipping was in Calgary, I wouldn't normally tip that much in Glasgow...I'd tip in cafes and restaurants but not in taxis...there I'd just round up to nearest pound :yep:
Reply 6134
Original post by G8D
:lolwut:

https://maps.google.co.uk/

You literally have one option. Work it out.

Also re: tips. I think tipping is more important with smaller fares.

I did check the map million times.. I know where Buchanan View is located and also know its near the City center, but when i was using the post code in some other website, it said Lanarkshire and I was wondering if Glasgow city center is right...

Now that was the reason I asked here.. I am normally a person who Googles a lot and plans everything thoroughly, as well i keep updated with maps, I ask for help only when if I am either not sure or need an opinion from someone of experience

Original post by G8D
:lolwut:Also re: tips. I think tipping is more important with smaller fares.

And sorry I didn't get what you meant by that, Do you mean to say £26 is a larger fare?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6135
My comment about tipping was in Calgary, I wouldn't normally tip that much in Glasgow...I'd tip in cafes and restaurants but not in taxis...there I'd just round up to nearest pound :yep:

I was thinking the same, I thought rounding up to £30 would do good, but had doubts that was meager..

Thank you very much for the input :smile: It really took a point of worry away from my planning :smile:
Reply 6136
Original post by G8D
I don't know where you're booking your taxi but I'm pretty sure I've gotten to/from the airport for less than that using http://glasgowprivatehire.com/

At the very least you could call them up and ask how much it would be from the airport to Buchanan View.

I was planning to book it from here,

http://www.city-airport-taxis.com/airporttransfers/city/Glasgow-taxi?gclid=CNyZns3-nbcCFUFT4godfTAAlg

And Thank you very much for the link.. Will look it up :smile:
Original post by LSD
Got my results out today! Quick like! Any one else had theirs yet? :biggrin:

Not yet :frown: The first year Biology have theirs and now your class do. We want ours now! :tongue:
Reply 6138
Original post by GermanScientist
Not yet :frown: The first year Biology have theirs and now your class do. We want ours now! :tongue:

Are you 2nd year life sciences? We got ours out 30th may last year I think :biggrin:
Original post by LSD
Are you 2nd year life sciences? We got ours out 30th may last year I think :biggrin:

Yeah. Aw man. I just want them now so that it's over with :frown: The last 2nd year life sciences exam was the 16th so I'm thinking their meeting might be next week (hoping), so might be on track for the 30th May again :P I do chemistry too and the last exam for that was nearly 2 weeks ago. I just want the results basically :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending