The Student Room Group

Do BTECs count at top uni's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _lucccy
What did you do at uni?:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I haven't been yet! Going in September to study web development.
I think your best option is to continue with all three A Levels to A2, as to do anything else will limit where you can (realistically) apply to.
Reply 22
depending on the BTEC, yes. Not sure how common it is but ive definitely heard of people who've done BTECs getting into places like UCL and the like, the one im thinking of was a chap who did an engineering BTEC though not sure about ICT..
according to most unis sites though they do accept them :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Origami Bullets
I think your best option is to continue with all three A Levels to A2, as to do anything else will limit where you can (realistically) apply to.

I wouldn't get the grades to get into the uni I want tho if I did the 3 A Levels as I find English particularly hard:/

Reply 24
Original post by cl_steele
depending on the BTEC, yes. Not sure how common it is but ive definitely heard of people who've done BTECs getting into places like UCL and the like, the one im thinking of was a chap who did an engineering BTEC though not sure about ICT..
according to most unis sites though they do accept them :smile:

Well that's good to know then:smile: thank you!!

If by top universities you mean any of Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL or Warwick the answer is almost certainly "no".
Reply 26
My brother is at UCL studying ITMB with a BTEC, it is possible.....

You just need to show how you are using it to your advantage, I am also doing IT BTEC (D*D*D) and have been able to secure work at a consultancy where I use my skills. It will also help as I write my P.S
Reply 27
Original post by Astronomical
If by top universities you mean any of Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL or Warwick the answer is almost certainly "no".

No not that high I'd say uni's in the top 30?

Reply 28
Original post by Tensei
My brother is at UCL studying ITMB with a BTEC, it is possible.....

You just need to show how you are using it to your advantage, I am also doing IT BTEC (D*D*D) and have been able to secure work at a consultancy where I use my skills. It will also help as I write my P.S

Oooh:smile: yeah I see what you mean thats good then!

Original post by _lucccy
No not that high I'd say uni's in the top 30?

Those are Uni's in the top 30.
Reply 30
Original post by arnoob
Those are Uni's in the top 30.

Yeah and there are 24 others...

The top Uni's i.e the Russel Group ones (Manch, Oxf, Liv, Cardi etc) absolutely no.

For the red brick ones and the pre 1992 ones (e.g Sheff, Swan, Bang, Leed) they'd prefer A-levels but for some unpopular courses they will allow BTECs. This dropped in recent years to very few courses however with the £9k fees (and not as much going to Uni) this may change.

However what I have found is that they don't count them as A/A*. It's a bit like the con where a certain BTEC is worth twelve GCSE's - well common sense says that a BTEC isn't the same amount of work as twelve GCSE's does it?.

For the post 1992 Unis (e.g Manch Met, LJMU, UWIC etc) yes.
Email the admissions team at each university and ask. Only they can give you the most recent policies here.
Reply 33
Lol! I think even russel group unis do, like I said its about how you use the BTEC to show you re ready for the course.
Reply 34
What's the exact name of your qualification? Is it the subsidiary diploma? That's the equivalent of one A-level, a certificate is the equivalent of an AS Level.

The majority of universities do accept BTEC qualifications, especially if they're relevant to your course choice, and if it's the subsidiary diploma you're studying for, along with other A-levels I can't see any problem at all.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Reply 35
Original post by MattieB
What's the exact name of your qualification? Is it the subsidiary diploma? That's the equivalent of one A-level, a certificate is the equivalent of an AS Level.

The majority of universities do accept BTEC qualifications, especially if they're relevant to your course choice, and if it's the subsidiary diploma you're studying for, along with other A-levels I can't see any problem at all.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Yes it's the subsidiary diploma, I've emailed a fair few and most accept with 2 other A-Levels.

Thank you!:-)

Reply 36
Hey! I was wondering what feedback you got from the universities? I'm in the exact same case, I want to study Geography at Uni. of Manchester, I'm studying 3 A levels and BTEC ICT!
Reply 37
Original post by KimFTW
Hey! I was wondering what feedback you got from the universities? I'm in the exact same case, I want to study Geography at Uni. of Manchester, I'm studying 3 A levels and BTEC ICT!

Sorry I totally forgot about this post! I dropped psychology so I now just do BTEC ICT, Geography and English Language.
I got offered places at...
1.) University of Liverpool (ABB)
2.) Northumbria University (320 points)
3.) University of Newcastle (ABB)
4.) University of Hull (280 points)
5.) Manchester Metropolitan University (280 points)

I think Manchester asked for ABB/AAC. I changed to MMU just before I sent my UCAS off though as a back up instead of University of Manchester!
:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
You guys are wrong! My friend did BTEC in sixth form and he went to Cambridge. To tops things up he achieved 11 A* at GCSE, I think that's why he got accepted.
Original post by EPIC Guy
You guys are wrong! My friend did BTEC in sixth form and he went to Cambridge. To tops things up he achieved 11 A* at GCSE, I think that's why he got accepted.

Did he do A Levels as well though? And which course / college was this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply