The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kunoichi
wow seriously? Thats not right, she shouldnt be allowed to drag you. Have you told your dad that?

I dont know about the situation with your mum, but could you not tell your mum what this woman is doing?

When I say drag I mean she will get my wrist and make me go into the corner. I actually bit her once and I got extra time in the corner for that. I did leave a mark though. My mum died so I can't tell her. I do often say a prayer to her about sarah though. I spoke to my older half brother who is in his 20s and he told me to shape up and start acting my age. Sarah (step mum) has never been violent like smack me or anything. She has got my wrist and marched me back to the blooming corner, that's it though. My dad knows that she puts me in the corner and says I have to learn to behave
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by roar:)
When I say drag I mean she will get my wrist and make me go into the corner. I actually bit her once and I got extra time in the corner for that. I did leave a mark though. My mum died so I can't tell her. I do often say a prayer to her about sarah though. I spoke to my older half brother who is in his 20s and he told me to shape up and start acting my age. Sarah (step mum) has never been violent like smack me or anything. She has got my wrist and marched me back to the blooming corner, that's it though.

Sorry to hear about your mum :frown:

If you dont want Sarah to touch you, firstly if she is about to do so warn her 'I dont want you to touch me'
If she continues yell it out
And dont stay in the corner.

I will say though it would be nice for you not to use bad language in front of your baby brother or anything. If you try not to do things like that then it will become a bit easier for you.
Reply 22
Original post by kunoichi
Sorry to hear about your mum :frown:

If you dont want Sarah to touch you, firstly if she is about to do so warn her 'I dont want you to touch me'
If she continues yell it out
And dont stay in the corner.

I will say though it would be nice for you not to use bad language in front of your baby brother or anything. If you try not to do things like that then it will become a bit easier for you.

I have sort of learnt to just stay in the corner now because she doesn't give in! Once I was sitting in the corner and the door bell rang and it was my friends and she told them I could come out when I was finished sitting in the corner for misbehaving. It is SO embaressing
Reply 23
I have sort of learnt to just stay in the corner now because she doesn't give in! Once I was sitting in the corner and the door bell rang and it was my friends and she told them I could come out when I was finished sitting in the corner for misbehaving. It is SO embaressing

Shes doing it because you're misbehaving. Stop misbehaving and it will stop. As much as you don't like it, she IS an authority figure in your house. You shouldn't be swearing around your parents/young children. Sounds like you're just rebelling because you don't like her.
Reply 24
Original post by Shelly_x
Shes doing it because you're misbehaving. Stop misbehaving and it will stop. As much as you don't like it, she IS an authority figure in your house. You shouldn't be swearing around your parents/young children. Sounds like you're just rebelling because you don't like her.

Its not that I don't like her sometimes I let her hug me. Sometimes I push her away. She can be horrible though. She embarressed me when we were grocery shopping I got bored and her son went to run off and I grabbed him quite hard and left a mark on him from where my hand was on his arm. She had a go at me and I gave her some sort of smart answer and then she said that I was going to be going straight into the corner when we get home. That was embaressing. I am sure other people heard. I am 13 not 3
Reply 25
This made me giggle. It is so funny. I have never been put in a corner. I used to get spanked, or whipped with a belt if it was serious (BUT IF A STEP MUM DID THIS I WOULD KNOCK HER OUT)

Just ignore her, if you have a big bedroom just hang out there, avoid her at all costs. If you don't want her dinner, tell her you're not hungry. Maybe she wants you eating healthy food though? Are you eating junk food all the time or something? Just something to consider. Tell her you don't like it and if she makes xyz tomorrow you will eat it
Reply 26
Its not that I don't like her sometimes I let her hug me. Sometimes I push her away. She can be horrible though. She embarressed me when we were grocery shopping I got bored and her son went to run off and I grabbed him quite hard and left a mark on him from where my hand was on his arm. She had a go at me and I gave her some sort of smart answer and then she said that I was going to be going straight into the corner when we get home. That was embaressing. I am sure other people heard. I am 13 not 3

Ofc you didn't mean to hurt the kid, so why is she being an idiot. Kids are just fragile

Wow I would hate a woman like that
Reply 27

All in all, it sounds like you're behaving like a baby so she's treating you like one. Grow up and act your age. Listen to your brother.
Reply 28
Original post by 344302
Ofc you didn't mean to hurt the kid, so why is she being an idiot. Kids are just fragile

Wow I would hate a woman like that

I told her she was being an idiot but she was just annoyed because it was the 3rd time this week that I had left a mark on him from being physical. I only had to sit in the corner for about 5 minutes so that time it wasn't too bad
Reply 29
Original post by 344302
This made me giggle. It is so funny. I have never been put in a corner. I used to get spanked, or whipped with a belt if it was serious (BUT IF A STEP MUM DID THIS I WOULD KNOCK HER OUT)

Just ignore her, if you have a big bedroom just hang out there, avoid her at all costs. If you don't want her dinner, tell her you're not hungry. Maybe she wants you eating healthy food though? Are you eating junk food all the time or something? Just something to consider. Tell her you don't like it and if she makes xyz tomorrow you will eat it

I tried telling her that but she doesn't care for my cheek! I am a vegetarian and she is fine with it and makes some veggie stuff but I don't like it. My dad says she is scared because I am aneamic and underweight
Reply 30
Original post by hamijack
All in all, it sounds like you're behaving like a baby so she's treating you like one. Grow up and act your age. Listen to your brother.

I don't like being put in the corner it is so humiliating how would you like it?:smile:
Reply 31
Sorry to burst your bubble but from your replys in this thread you seem like a difficult child. What your stepmother is doing is completely reasonable. You swear in front of her impressionable 3-year old son, you go to the corner. you physically harm her son (the first time ok maybe it was a mistake, but three times? would you let someone get away with doing that if you were her?) you go to the corner. it's a consistant, reasonable punishment. If you don't want to be humiliated by going to the corner, stop doing things that get you put in the corner. Your stepmother sounds like she's trying to get along with you, she cooks specific food for you that you don't eat (endagering yourself as you say you are underwieght and annemic) when some parents would just refuse/tell you to make your own food. If you act up what is she supposed to do? let it slide, and let you do what you want with no consequences? As lovely as that sounds that's not how parenting works.

You really need to put things in perspective and grow up (Like everyone is telling you) She is responsible for you along with your stepbrothers and stepbrother/sister that's on the way. When you do something bad you get punished for it simple as that. you don't get to choose the punishment because thats not how punishment works. You disrespect your stepmother by acting up she doesnt need to respect your request for a change of punishment based on your age either.

Your stepmother has to deal with raising a 3 year old son (which is always a handful), a 13 year old stepdaugther who doesn't like or respect her, preparing for a new child, and any other day to day resposiblities she has (job, housework whatever)
you have to deal with a stepmother that puts you in a corner, food you don't like (you could always suggest food you like and follow it up with helping to make said food) and a little bit of embarassement.
Your feelings are very understandable. You lost your mum, and Sarah can never replace her. But for better or for worse, you two are stuck with each other until you leave home for college or uni (she is going nowhere). MissNix's advice is spot on - if you want to be treated like an adult, you have to act like one, and that might mean compromises.
Reply 33
Original post by MissNix
Sorry to burst your bubble but from your replys in this thread you seem like a difficult child. What your stepmother is doing is completely reasonable. You swear in front of her impressionable 3-year old son, you go to the corner. you physically harm her son (the first time ok maybe it was a mistake, but three times? would you let someone get away with doing that if you were her?) you go to the corner. it's a consistant, reasonable punishment. If you don't want to be humiliated by going to the corner, stop doing things that get you put in the corner. Your stepmother sounds like she's trying to get along with you, she cooks specific food for you that you don't eat (endagering yourself as you say you are underwieght and annemic) when some parents would just refuse/tell you to make your own food. If you act up what is she supposed to do? let it slide, and let you do what you want with no consequences? As lovely as that sounds that's not how parenting works.

You really need to put things in perspective and grow up (Like everyone is telling you) She is responsible for you along with your stepbrothers and stepbrother/sister that's on the way. When you do something bad you get punished for it simple as that. you don't get to choose the punishment because thats not how punishment works. You disrespect your stepmother by acting up she doesnt need to respect your request for a change of punishment based on your age either.

Your stepmother has to deal with raising a 3 year old son (which is always a handful), a 13 year old stepdaugther who doesn't like or respect her, preparing for a new child, and any other day to day resposiblities she has (job, housework whatever)
you have to deal with a stepmother that puts you in a corner, food you don't like (you could always suggest food you like and follow it up with helping to make said food) and a little bit of embarassement.

This way I get some attention at least. I get more now than I did before. I have to cope with my dad going away and leaving me with her, this is my way of getting her attention before she would just be with her son and i felt ignored now she has to bother with me. She is always busy with her son espically now with potty training she hasn't got time so i make her have time for me by acting out
Reply 34
This way I get some attention at least. I get more now than I did before. I have to cope with my dad going away and leaving me with her, this is my way of getting her attention before she would just be with her son and i felt ignored now she has to bother with me. She is always busy with her son espically now with potty training she hasn't got time so i make her have time for me by acting out

By acting out you are getting bad attention, bad attention is not attention that you want and will overall strain your relationship with your stepmother. There are better ways to get her attention. Your dad going away can't be helped (I'm assuming its business trips that he needs to go on) and your stepmother can't just ignore your 3 year old stepbrother, epsecailly at this stage in his development. So you need to do the mature thing and accept that your not going to get as much attetion as you may have done before. Try clearing the air with her. Apoligise and tell her why you've been acting up like you've said here, then make the effort to stop misbehaving. If you want to spend time with her and get positive attention offer to help her out with whatever she does (looking after your brother, household shopping, cooking, whatever hobbies she has) and in turn ask her if she could help you with anything (school work etc) Do you have any hobbies that you could involve her in? Or better yet make into a project you can do together. Then you have something thats speical to just you and her to focus and on bond over. Ethier way acting up and aggrevation your stepmother won't make anything better.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by MissNix
By acting out you are getting bad attention, bad attention is not attention that you want and will overall strain your relationship with your stepmother. There are better ways to get her attention. Your dad going away can't be helped (I'm assuming its business trips that he needs to go on) and your stepmother can't just ignore your 3 year old stepbrother, epsecailly at this stage in his development. So you need to do the mature thing and accept that your not going to get as much attetion as you may have done before. Try clearing the air with her. Apoligise and tell her why you've been acting up like you've said here, then make the effort to stop misbehaving. If you want to spend time with her and get positive attention offer to help her out with whatever she does (looking after your brother, household shopping, cooking, whatever hobbies she has) and in turn ask her if she could help you with anything (school work etc) Do you have any hobbies that you could involve her in? Or better yet make into a project you can do together. Then you have something thats speical to just you and her to focus and on bond over. Ethier way acting up and aggrevation your stepmother won't make anything better.

I guess I always felt better after I had got attention, I didn't care what attention it was as long as it was some kind. Her goal is to get my step-brother potty trained especially before the baby comes. I feel left out because I can't be trusted to help. my brother who is 20 has a 4 month old with is fiancee. They were going out for the day and he was paying me to baby sit but my step mum took MY niece off me saying I couldn't be trusted because of the way I am with my step brother. I would never harm my niece. I love her I even helped pick out her name. If I can't even be trusted with my niece for a day because of my step mum no way will she let me be involved with my half sibling and now I have gotten used to the idea I want to help out with (s)he.
Reply 36
I have tried getting up and walking away but she makes me go back or will drag me back till I stay there.

If she physically moves you or tries to, tell her to get off! You're not a baby! You could just use your body weight and sit on the floor or something so she can't lift you up. Unless she's Arnold Schwarzenegger in disguise. She needs to realise you're a teenager and putting you in a corner will make you resent her more and probably rebel more.

On the other hand you're 13, you're not an adult so don't expect to be treated like one. I know how you feel about the step mum situation, I'm 20 and mine's a total pain in the neck. However acting up isn't going to help your situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
As some other posters said, try and act like an adult. Offer to do chores. Try and respect her rules, especially with the cussing etc, because that's reasonable. ( Freedom of speech is about being able to express your opionions, not having the right to use badlanguage around people.) Maybe if she sees you making an effort, you'll be able to talk your differences out with her instead of her talking to you like a child. I suppose since her son hasn't got to your age yet, she doesn't quite know how to handle you.
I think the best shot you have is to be mature.
Reply 38
I don't like being put in the corner it is so humiliating how would you like it?:smile:

Well I was never put in the corner. My parents beat me when I did something bad. So consider yourself lucky. If you don't like the punishment, stop doing the preceding behavior and the punishment won't happen again.
I guess I always felt better after I had got attention, I didn't care what attention it was as long as it was some kind. Her goal is to get my step-brother potty trained especially before the baby comes. I feel left out because I can't be trusted to help. my brother who is 20 has a 4 month old with is fiancee. They were going out for the day and he was paying me to baby sit but my step mum took MY niece off me saying I couldn't be trusted because of the way I am with my step brother. I would never harm my niece. I love her I even helped pick out her name. If I can't even be trusted with my niece for a day because of my step mum no way will she let me be involved with my half sibling and now I have gotten used to the idea I want to help out with (s)he.

You haven't given her any reason to suppose that you can be trusted with small children. You're being judged on deeds as well as your words, and if you take every opportunity to cause scenes, an adult isn't going to leave you in charge of a small child and hope for the best.

Latest

Trending

Trending