The Student Room Group

WJEC Biology AS BY1 9th January 2013

Just sat the Biology BY1 exam a few hours ago wanted to know what other people thought...
I Revised solidly for three days straight - My eyes are killing me!
Personally I found the questions a bit too easy for my liking.
The essay question wasn't to bad...
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darkhorse2010
Just sat the Biology BY1 exam a few hours ago wanted to know what other people thought...
I Revised solidly for three days straight - My eyes are killing me!
Personally I found the questions a bit too easy for my liking.
The essay question wasn't to bad...
:smile:

Yeah, i thought it was okay too. Not overly challenging though i know i lost 4 marks for sure for the lactic acid question!
But if everyone thought it went well....that means grade boundaries are gonna go up dun-dun-dunnnnn:mad: For the essay question I did the enzyme inhibition one!!!! i did this question the night before so yay me!:biggrin:
ye i sat this paper, it wasnt that challenging but i crossed out the right answers and put wrong ones for both the lactic acid one and the active transport one :mad:
Reply 3
What did everyone write for the question on the uptake of phosphate ions? The question with the graph?

I also did the water potential essay question! The essay wasn't too bad! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rowenjohnson16
ye i sat this paper, it wasnt that challenging but i crossed out the right answers and put wrong ones for both the lactic acid one and the active transport one :mad:

what was the correct answer?
Reply 5
Original post by JOE_96
what was the correct answer?

quick question, if you don't mind. What was the question involving the lactic acid. Was it the 4 mark one?

OMG! I did the same thing, I wrote glucose conc. increases, then crossed out and wrote decreases just as the invigilator said pens down :mad:
Original post by bunnythegreat
OMG! I did the same thing, I wrote glucose conc. increases, then crossed out and wrote decreases just as the invigilator said pens down :mad:

what was the answer for that question?
what was the answer for that question?

Well, all my friends said they wrote conc. increases but, I read this online which kinda suggests the concentration should decrease because the curds are denatured proteins so the glucose must be denatured too..right?
'Milk contains lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria produce
lactic acid, which acidifies the milk. The reduced pH denatures the milk proteins, casein for example, rendering them insoluble. The curds are the denatured proteins.'
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
For the lactic question I think at least one of the marks was stating that the lactic acid is an acid which would mean that the Benedicts solution would not be able work unless it was neutralised with an alkali - I wrote conc decreases I didn't write anything on denaturing tho....:eek:
Reply 10
does anyone remember the questions please tel...
Reply 11
Q6d wasn't written well at all- One of my teachers marked these papers, about 1/150 got full marks! Basically, the info given in the question wasn't helpful because the enzymes were immobilised so were therefore more resistant to changes in pH!! How this question passed inspection is unclear, but the mark scheme basically allowed any reasonable attempts at answering, even though the science was wrong:L
Reply 12
Hi, I'm sitting the exam tomorrow and I was just wondering if anyone had a copy of the paper please? It's the only past paper I haven't done. If not, could anyone please tell me what the 10 mark essay questions were please.
Reply 13
Hi, im also sitting the exam tomorrow, im so nervous? I was wondering what do you guys think will be the esaay question?
Reply 14
I'm hoping either DNA structure, enzymes, mitosis, water or immobilised enzymes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Sophiee7
Hi, im also sitting the exam tomorrow, im so nervous? I was wondering what do you guys think will be the esaay question?
It is only a guess but the properties of water hasn't been for a while, last seen in the January 2011 paper, so it could be that. the cell membrane essay also hasn't been for a while aswell, January 2010. those are my top two but its wjec, you never know what's coming your way cuz they are a bunch of w******
Fingers crossed for a cells/cell membranes essay and little to no graph questions :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by mabli
Hi, I'm sitting the exam tomorrow and I was just wondering if anyone had a copy of the paper please? It's the only past paper I haven't done. If not, could anyone please tell me what the 10 mark essay questions were please.

The essay questions that came up in Jan were enzymes and inhibitors and one about water potential/turgidity etc. Sorry I can't give you the exact questions, I sat the exam and I can only remember what the topics were!
4 hours :bawling:
Reply 19
Thank you, I'm hoping that proteins or DNA structure will appear:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply