The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am! Second time around. Have work experience arranged for after I finish university. Also going to some open days to make sure I like the places I might put down this time around.
Yep :smile:
I'm also applying for Teach First in June, but if I'm unsuccessful in that, I will be applying for a PGCE. I want to do secondary English.
I have lots of good experience so far, I've volunteered in three secondary schools, including a good school, a satisfactory school and a school that 'requires improvement'.
Original post by jeffercake
Yep :smile:
I'm also applying for Teach First in June, but if I'm unsuccessful in that, I will be applying for a PGCE. I want to do secondary English.
I have lots of good experience so far, I've volunteered in three secondary schools, including a good school, a satisfactory school and a school that 'requires improvement'.

Wow that's a lot! I was thinking of doing the same thing and trying to get a range of different schools. How long did you volunteer for? I'm trying to get some experience now and so far I'm just contacting schools about observing lessons! Hardly any are free/willing to let me do that! I guess because it's exam period
Original post by polka_dott
I am! Second time around. Have work experience arranged for after I finish university. Also going to some open days to make sure I like the places I might put down this time around.

I'm trying to organise some experience (by work experience do you mean you will actually teach classes or are you just observing?) I'm trying calling around different schools to observe some lessons at the moment... it's proving to be a bit of a difficult and laborious task!
Reply 5
Original post by Feartheunknown
I'm trying to organise some experience (by work experience do you mean you will actually teach classes or are you just observing?) I'm trying calling around different schools to observe some lessons at the moment... it's proving to be a bit of a difficult and laborious task!

Try saying you want to volunteer as a teaching assistant and that you'll help the teachers with photocopying etc. Though as it is a bit late you could try organising some for September.
Wow that's a lot! I was thinking of doing the same thing and trying to get a range of different schools. How long did you volunteer for? I'm trying to get some experience now and so far I'm just contacting schools about observing lessons! Hardly any are free/willing to let me do that! I guess because it's exam period

I've known that I want to teach for years now (I'm a mature student!) so I've been volunteering whenever I get the chance. I volunteered in a primary school once a week for a year, then I observed for two weeks in a secondary school, then I worked as a tutor in another secondary school for ten weeks, this was arranged through the university's volunteer scheme, and at the moment I'm in my local secondary school, where I go once a week - but after my last exam in two weeks, I will volunteer two days a week.

My local school (the one I'm at now) are desperate for help, they are understaffed and because they are a school that requires improvement, they don't seem to have many permanent teachers and the ones they do have all have interviews for other jobs! When I asked to volunteer, I just said that I needed experience for my PGCE application, and in return I was willing to help them with anything they needed doing, for example reading intervention etc. They bit my hand off! It might be worth trying a school in your area that is struggling, and offer to help by listening to children read.

Good luck!

Just volunteering/observing, not teaching classes or anything haha! I explained I wanted to apply for a PGCE and I wanted more experience. You just need to try ALL of the schools near you, I actually will have to travel a bit to mine as I could not get one in the town I live in.
Hi, I will be applying for 2014 entry. I'm lucky as I have plenty of experience, I'm just not particularly good at writing about myself so the personal statement could be tricky!
Original post by ChelseyElla
Hi, I will be applying for 2014 entry. I'm lucky as I have plenty of experience, I'm just not particularly good at writing about myself so the personal statement could be tricky!

Cool! Yeah I guess that bit is a bit difficult, however, I guess it takes a similar stance to the personal statement you used for your undergraduate personal statement. Are you applying for secondary or primary? Where are you thinking of applying? I'm thinking of the IoE for secondary.
Cool! Yeah I guess that bit is a bit difficult, however, I guess it takes a similar stance to the personal statement you used for your undergraduate personal statement. Are you applying for secondary or primary? Where are you thinking of applying? I'm thinking of the IoE for secondary.

I'm definitely going for Primary. Reading and Bath Spa are my favourites at the moment but I need to have a proper look over the summer!

What subject?
I'm definitely going for Primary. Reading and Bath Spa are my favourites at the moment but I need to have a proper look over the summer!

What subject?

Secondary Science... I was thinking of Reading too but I might stay closer to Central London.
Reply 12
I'm applying for PGCE Secondary Social Science :smile: Currently coming to the end of my second year, start third year in October so will be applying then.

I have 10 days in a primary school and 7 days at a 16-18 college at the moment, with two weeks (10 days) booked in at a secondary school in September and a week (5 days) at another college also in September :smile:
Reply 13
I am applying for post-grad secondary history to either Cardiff or Swansea met. Have to resit my GCSE maths next month, then start my first week of experience in July with another planned for September.
I've just finished uni and have only recently decided that a teaching career might just be for me. I'm looking at applying for a Secondary History PGCE this year but I still need to get some experience, which is a little tricky as I'm off travelling from September-December. I phoned the Teaching Agency today though and got onto their School Experience Programme, so I should be able to get a placement under my belt before term finishes. I'm also looking at volunteering with young people over the summer, so that might bulk out my personal statement a bit. It seems like all of you are ahead of the game in terms of experience though!
Reply 15
Original post by Hattie1992
I've just finished uni and have only recently decided that a teaching career might just be for me. I'm looking at applying for a Secondary History PGCE this year but I still need to get some experience, which is a little tricky as I'm off travelling from September-December. I phoned the Teaching Agency today though and got onto their School Experience Programme, so I should be able to get a placement under my belt before term finishes. I'm also looking at volunteering with young people over the summer, so that might bulk out my personal statement a bit. It seems like all of you are ahead of the game in terms of experience though!

History is one of the most competitive subjects to get on to for Secondary. I'd advise you to put in your application as soon as GTTR opens, which is late October or you may find that spaces start filling up whilst you're away.
Secondary Science... I was thinking of Reading too but I might stay closer to Central London.

I assume you're from London then? I'm not even considering applying to anywhere in London, I'm not a big city girl!
I assume you're from London then? I'm not even considering applying to anywhere in London, I'm not a big city girl!

I'm currently at uni in a rural area so for my PGCE I wanted a bit of a change plus London has great connections.
Original post by Hattie1992

Yeah like another poster wrote, I was told at an open day that History and English Lit are really competitive (should apply ASAP). Also any experience working with kids will work in your favour so volunteering over the summer will be great!
Reply 19
Hi :smile:

I graduated in 2012 in Theology & Religious Studies and have been working as a secondary TA since last October. Hoping to be applying for RS PGCE for 2014.
Thought about submitting a late application for this year but really I'd rather not rush anything through!

Latest