The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6140
Original post by GermanScientist
Yeah. Aw man. I just want them now so that it's over with :frown: The last 2nd year life sciences exam was the 16th so I'm thinking their meeting might be next week (hoping), so might be on track for the 30th May again :P I do chemistry too and the last exam for that was nearly 2 weeks ago. I just want the results basically :tongue:

Won't be long now :smile: I'm pretty sure our whole year had all theirs back before June last year! It's hard to relax when you don't know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by LSD
Won't be long now :smile: I'm pretty sure our whole year had all theirs back before June last year! It's hard to relax when you don't know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've found out the examiners' meeting is the 3rd of June and they should be out the 4th. At least we know when we should be getting them now :tongue:
Reply 6142
We've found out the examiners' meeting is the 3rd of June and they should be out the 4th. At least we know when we should be getting them now :tongue:

Awesome! That's still about a week later than last year right enough. Still it's good to know when you're getting them :biggrin: our markers meeting was the 13th may and we were told we'd get them on the 16th. But it was the 17th, lies! :biggrin:
Original post by LSD
Awesome! That's still about a week later than last year right enough. Still it's good to know when you're getting them :biggrin: our markers meeting was the 13th may and we were told we'd get them on the 16th. But it was the 17th, lies! :biggrin:

What liars! Haha hope you did well! :smile:
Hey Chenpan,

Just for info - there is a great express bus service from the airport doors to the city centre. It takes about 25 mins (the same as a taxi) and costs around £6 (no tip required!)

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow/journey_planning/glasgow_shuttle/

Best,
UK Recruitment

Original post by Chenpan
That would be nice.. Wish you had done that earlier or any time within the week.. so I could use to plan :smile:

Also, I was searching the forum for tips, and found your post regarding that in a thread.

I will be using the taxi from Airport to Buchanan View, and searched online for pre-booking, I was wondering how much Should I be paying him as tip? The cost of journey is £26. Cause in my country we often pay 10% or a fixed denomination of 20 or 50. But that's an acceptable amount there.. If i do the same here, it would mean a lot when you look at the conversion. So an idea on the percentage or just a nominal amount for the £26 would be very helpful.

Also which one should I pick for the drop of point among the following to get to Buchanan View?

Popular Locations

Pick up: Oban

Pick up: Ardrossan

Pick up: Carlisle

Pick up: Fort William

Pick up: Renfrew

Other Locations

Pick up: Ardrossan

Pick up: Ballantrae

Pick up: Blantyre

Pick up: Carlisle

Pick up: Comrie

Pick up: Dalry

Pick up: East Kilbride

Pick up: Fort William

Pick up: Glasgow City Centre

Pick up: Greenock

Pick up: Kilmarnock

Pick up: Oban

Pick up: Renfrew

Pick up: Troon

Pick up: Turnberry Resort

Glasgow City Centre would be fine right?
Reply 6145
What liars! Haha hope you did well! :smile:

Well enough haha! Can't complain :smile: hope you do well too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6146
Original post by Rio-Glasgow
Hey Chenpan,

Just for info - there is a great express bus service from the airport doors to the city centre. It takes about 25 mins (the same as a taxi) and costs around £6 (no tip required!)

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow/journey_planning/glasgow_shuttle/

Best,
UK Recruitment

Thank you for the information, I wish I had seen this info sooner :smile:.. Anyway used the taxi service :smile:
QUOTE=G8D;43094681]ERASMUS:

Who do I send my confirmation of end to these days? I know Lisa Broadwell left and Sally Baxter should be the person to contact but I emailed her a long while ago and received no response.

Hi G8D,

Thanks for the email. Try [email protected]

Best,
UK Recruitment
Can someone tell me a bit more about the unions at Glasgow? Like what are the differences - in atmosphere/beliefs etc? Also, what kind of role they play in the university and what difference they make to my time at uni... I don't really understand their use?

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by summerfruit
Can someone tell me a bit more about the unions at Glasgow? Like what are the differences - in atmosphere/beliefs etc? Also, what kind of role they play in the university and what difference they make to my time at uni... I don't really understand their use?

Hi Summerfruit,

Historically one was a male union and one a female - but that was long ago. Now there is no essential difference but rather a choice for our students. Both have catering and bars and entertainment. The GUU hold debates and the QMU have live gigs. I would try both and see which you prefer.

Best, Campbell (UK team)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Summerfruit,

Historically one was a male union and one a female - but that was long ago. Now there is no essential difference but rather a choice for our students. Both have catering and bars and entertainment. The GUU hold debates and the QMU have live gigs. I would try both and see which you prefer.

Best, Campbell (UK team)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gloriously diplomatic.

The GU is for ****ers, the QM is for freaks.

Job done.
Original post by summerfruit

The GUU has a more 'old Glasgow' feel - there's like... A real fire, & it smells like a lovely old building, with big sweepy staircases etc. The beer bar is theoretically a nice place to be - like a studenty version of what looks a bit like an old man pub - but personally I find it a bit uncomfortable when it gets full because it is kind of full of loutish drinking gamers shouting 'DOWN IT DOWN IT DOWN IT CHUUUUUUG' or whatever, which is distracting. Also if there's any kind of major sport on TV, you have no chance of having a conversation in the beer bar. There's a Subway though - major bonus. Also there's like a canteeny style food place too but I've never eaten there so can't say what it's like.

I've spent more time in the QMU partly because it's considerably nearer the buildings where the majority of my classes have been. The building itself is hideous, but that's not really the point. I prefer the bars there - the jukeboxes are considerably better & I like the atmosphere better. It has Lacuna & Food Factory, both of which I can recommend for lunch. I think it feels more kind of modern 'studenty' & definitely far less laddish - the pool tables are in a brighter space & although there's somewhere to watch sport, there's not the thing of people shouting & screaming & chanting at it, so that's good...

I've not spent enough time in either of their "nightclub spaces" to have an opinion.

In terms of beliefs, they won't admit to having any fundamental difference, but the GUU does have a bit of the old 'booo, women' thing. The QMU proves itself to be more inclusive I guess, it has a gender neutral toilet on the top floor & it's just less of a laddish environment.

Basically, try out both & see what you like to do where :smile: I prefer the QM personally, although I do like the GUU for some things.
Anybody know when we normally pick seminar times? Despite this being my 4th year I can't remember when it normally happens, I'd love to know because I *might* be getting a 3 day week..... :smile:
Hey just looking to see if anyone has firmed for re and theology would be good to meet someone that will be on my course give me a message x
Hi!

I'm going to be studying Film/TV Studies & Digital Information Studies if anyone wants to chat then please send a message :smile: just wanna chat to new people ..I wont be staying at Halls so I'm finding it difficult to find people to chat too :/ I would like to meet up with people as well if they want to at Fresher's week for chats! If you prefer talking on facebook then I don't mind that either :biggrin:
Reply 6155
Hi, I'm starting in September to do primary education. Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6156
Hi Summerfruit,

Best, Campbell (UK team)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can we be cheeky and join both Unions or do we have to pick just one?
Reply 6157
Original post by machalba
Anybody know when we normally pick seminar times? Despite this being my 4th year I can't remember when it normally happens, I'd love to know because I *might* be getting a 3 day week..... :smile:

If you find this out, please let me know. I'm in the same boat.

Also...when does term even restart... :/
Original post by machalba

Tomorrow! http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/support/registration/#tabs=1
Original post by Kafuffle
Can we be cheeky and join both Unions or do we have to pick just one?

Can join both :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending