The Student Room Group

Unpopular Football Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
:facepalm2:
That isn't even controversial, that's just ridiculous. The fact that the arsenal thread is ridiculous and they are all ridiculing you says it all...

Well, I might as well just end my life now... the blokes on Arsenal thread are laughing at me:nopity:

I recommend you stop following Arsenal you tosser. It's ok if we disagree on trivial things like summer signings, things we could not actually know anything about. But you sir, you show complete distaste for a club you claim to like. Go join the Manchester lot you son of a tool.
Original post by DentalPlan4lisa
Arsenal will win the 2013/2014 premier league.. I truly believe this, sadly, this is most controversial with Arsenal fans, who will most undoubtedly claim me a fool :rolleyes:

8 year trophy drought and scrapping for a 4th place finish to winning the league and CL is one season. Realistic.
Original post by 419
Defensive midfield is an overrated position. So overrated that any half decent player that plays in this position gets some unjustified idolatry.

Oh god.. Every time I find another one of your comments somewhere It absolutely amazes me. Lol and they are harping on me for making ridiculous statements.

This comment by you proves you probably have never kicked a ball before in your life, let alone played for a club.. Stop trying to fit in and take up cricket you bellend.
Original post by DaveSmith99
8 year trophy drought and scrapping for a 4th place finish to winning the league and CL is one season. Realistic.

Well I'm being a little optimistic, nice change of pace for arsenal eh? but if you want me to be downright realistic, I truly believe we can win the league if we make the right moves this summer, and that doesn't mean even spending all of the available funds; our team is quite strong as is.
Well I'm being a little optimistic, nice change of pace for arsenal eh? but if you want me to be downright realistic, I truly believe we can win the league if we make the right moves this summer, and that doesn't mean even spending all of the available funds; our team is quite strong as is.

Nah, I can remember last year Arsenal fans on here talking about title challenges and being as strong as United.
Nah, I can remember last year Arsenal fans on here talking about title challenges and being as strong as United.

And that they'll keep van persie. Arsenal fans are the most asinine on the forum. Every single season. They have a clique of idiocy there and each persons idiotic opinion just feeds the rest of the thread.

Well, I might as well just end my life now... the blokes on Arsenal thread are laughing at me:nopity:

I recommend you stop following Arsenal you tosser. It's ok if we disagree on trivial things like summer signings, things we could not actually know anything about. But you sir, you show complete distaste for a club you claim to like. Go join the Manchester lot you son of a tool.

I'm a chelsea fan. I don't like arsenal, wanted tottenham to get 4th spot although I didn't see them doing so in fact.
But damn your posts have been bad.
I follow the united thread too, I'm allowed to talk and make an opinion about other clubs and other people, considering what I said was clearly right and you think that higuain(a poacher) can play in a false 9 role that's pretty bad. Don't get annoyed when someone calls you on your bull****.
(edited 10 years ago)

What do you want the true fans to do? Just give up hope? Let us do our thing.
Original post by jam277
I'm a chelsea fan. I don't like arsenal, wanted tottenham to get 4th spot although I didn't see them doing so in fact.But damn your posts have been bad. I follow the united thread too, I'm allowed to talk and make an opinion about other clubs and other people, considering what I said was clearly right and you think that higuain(a poacher) can play in a false 9 role that's pretty bad. Don't get annoyed when someone calls you on your bull****.

Lol. I saw your first post, I saw you change it so you could seem more credible. You don't want people to know that your actually just a football hipster. Following whatever trend suits your fancy. When Arsenal rises again mate, you'll be first in line to take credit won't you.

And about the false 9, which you seem so hell bent to say gotcha on, I actually could imagine Higuain playing it. I catch La Liga games when I can, and with Higuain's performances, If I was manager, I would give him a go at false 9 striker. He has great control and dribbling skills, the fact that you think he is simply a poacher and not an all around complete forward shows how much of a pretenious football hipster you are.
What do you want the true fans to do? Just give up hope? Let us do our thing.

Lol. I saw your first post, I saw you change it so you could seem more credible. You don't want people to know that your actually just a football hipster. Following whatever trend suits your fancy. When Arsenal rises again mate, you'll be first in line to take credit won't you.

And about the false 9, which you seem so hell bent to say gotcha on, I actually could imagine Higuain playing it. I catch La Liga games when I can, and with Higuain's performances, If I was manager, I would give him a go at false 9 striker. He has great control and dribbling skills, the fact that you think he is simply a poacher and not an all around complete forward shows how much of a pretenious football hipster you are.

There's having hope and there's being idiotic. Like I said before I can say on the everton thread that they should get victor valdes on a free next year with david villa as they're both available.

Not even. Far from a football hipster, I've been forever saying that dortmund are overrated like bilbao were, I still think they are overrated, I still think they won't be at the top for more than 2-3 years. In fact if I haven't put that up as an unpopular football opinion I'll put that up right now. They clearly played a blinder in the CL and it costed them their league form to the point that leverkusen were on their level in the league. They have no squad depth whatsoever outside their first 11 and they'll be at the level they got to this season tops...

I edited my post, then tell me what was in the unedited post that made it so much less credible? Or are you just making digs to gain the upper hand? If I were to say that a player is a complete forward, I would have said benzema, as he links up much better with ronaldo, especially last season. Higuain can set up goals but he's not as good at getting involved in build up play as you think.
Reply 868
Original post by jam277
Depends on which type of midfielder you're talking about? If they're a DLP then no, carrick, pirlo, gundogan, alonso(although I haven't seen much from him this season), modric. I'd say javi martinez just about applies to this group as he can play under pressure although it's more short passing based when I see him.

But if you're talking about a destroyer or anchorman like mikel, de jong then yes. Many of the DLP's nowadays can get tackles in and distribute play very well.

Agree with everything here and it's pretty much my mode of thinking.

My major beef with the position is that people seem to think if you don't have a defensive midfielder (the destroyer or anchorman type), you're automatically doomed and that's the reason why you team concede goals. IMO, that's far from the truth. The best teams in europe don't play with the destroyer type so don't know why people keep going on how much they need them in their team.
Reply 869
Original post by ArounaF
Clarence Seedorf was better than Beckham.
Ibra should've came to the BPL
Barcelona need a better replacement than Villa.
Ribery is better than Cristiano Ronaldo.
Before he moved to Inter, Classic Ronaldo was better than Messi.

Only one controversial here is that Ribery is better than Cristiano Ronaldo, and that's just false.
Reply 870
Falcao is a prick with no ambition.

Moving to a club that's average crowd's are less than Luton. Suppose just like PSG, Man City and Malaga, he's 'always dreamed of playing there'...
Original post by Jim-Jam

Moving to a club that's average crowd's are less than Luton. Suppose just like PSG, Man City and Malaga, he's 'always dreamed of playing there'...

Do you realise that Falcao may of had no choice in the matter of where he moved. Try reading about 3rd party ownership of footballers. The 3rd party owners don't care about what's best for the player, they only care about how much money they can extract from transfers. Its a problem that makes transfers very murky
Original post by 419
Agree with everything here and it's pretty much my mode of thinking.

My major beef with the position is that people seem to think if you don't have a defensive midfielder (the destroyer or anchorman type), you're automatically doomed and that's the reason why you team concede goals. IMO, that's far from the truth. The best teams in europe don't play with the destroyer type so don't know why people keep going on how much they need them in their team.

For me defensive midfield is an underated position still, but the 'destroyer' type is just about the most overated thing around. I still side by what Xabi Alonso said when he was at Liverpool; that tackiling should only ever be a last resort, something you do when you can't intercept / force the opponent to make an error, rather than a skill to be perfected on the training pitch (that's the jist of it, can't remember exactly what he said, it was a while a go).
Original post by Jim-Jam

Come on Jam, that's not the reason. It's because he loves and was lured by the word starting with P that these footballers use when joining a club who have bundles of riches - PROJECT. Lol.

If he can make that sort of money, good luck to him but like said above, think his people around him determine to an extent, where he goes.
Reply 874
Yeovil will be getting promoted to the premier league in the new season.
Original post by hbk4894
Yeovil will be getting promoted to the premier league in the new season.

That's not unpopular, it's just ridiculous - they've a weak squad as is and little money to improve it. They will not go up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 876
Ronaldo is a more complex player than Messi and their goalcount should not be compared since they play on different positions
Torres is not as bad as everyone makes him to be
Ibra is the 3rd best player right now, after Messi and Ronaldo
There have been better players than Maradona, and yet everyone is comparing him to Pele
Ferguson and Mourinho are the best managers in history
Guardiola got lucky since he came to the manager position just when Barca's players were on their peak, similar as with Bayern
Di Matteo should have stayed at Chelsea
Original post by Seb.
Ronaldo is a more complex player than Messi and their goalcount should not be compared since they play on different positions
Torres is not as bad as everyone makes him to be
Ibra is the 3rd best player right now, after Messi and Ronaldo
There have been better players than Maradona, and yet everyone is comparing him to Pele
Ferguson and Mourinho are the best managers in history
Guardiola got lucky since he came to the manager position just when Barca's players were on their peak, similar as with Bayern
Di Matteo should have stayed at Chelsea

They aren't unpopular, I agree with most of them! Apart from Ibrahimovic being the 3rd best player in the world, not sure about that one
Reply 878
Frank Lampard is still a top midfielder and could again get into PL TOTY under Mourinho. And by the time he stops playing he could be the 2nd or 3rd highest ever PL goalscorer.

Quick Reply

Latest