The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Shiromei125
I am doing Gatsby and Rapture... can you tell me anyways you write on the texts that made it easier... any tips... what do you do for A04 especially for rapture... and how do you insert critics comments in the essay... is there a way to ensure so concentrate more on A03 and A04...

Hmm, what I found helped MASSIVELY was to go through possible themes that might come up. So for example, for the past question on 'emotionally intense relationships', I decided to address the themes of: idealisation, lust, obsession and dependence. To come up with these themes I just figured out all the ways the texts can be compared.

So for example: with the theme of dependence, Gatsby is dependent on Daisy, FSF was dependent on Zelda (Ao4), while in 'Wintering' by Duffy she uses death imagery to show her dependence.

All in all I came up with around 35 themes/areas that my texts could be compared, and I just went through them and compared the texts with those themes in mind, and once you've done that, the questions don't seem so hard!

For the AO3 & AO4, I suggest you just learn facts that you can throw in anywhere:

FSF's obsession with Zelda - him climbing the social ladder
1920s consumerist lifestyle
Influence of other authors on FSF, such as TS Eliot
Duffy being in a lesbian relationship
Duffy wanting to make her writing universal

And then just learn some key quotes from critics that can be used in any situation! I tended to use the same ones in all my essays - for example 'Rapture owes something to fairytales' from the Telegraph can be used when talking about language, 'Maps the trajectory of a love affair' from the Times can be used in an introduction. For Gatsby, Jerry Stratton said 'we only see their actions and Carraway's interpretation' - excellent for talking about the unreliable narrator.

I hope this helps, you've still got time so don't worry!
Reply 101
Original post by jonnyboy21
Hi guys, I'm taking the exam in June. I'm doing Tess, Captain Corelli and Metaphysical poetry. I know that these topics are always grouped together in the question. Would it be sufficient to just talk about the novels or is it recommended to discuss the novels and the poetry when doing a comparison? Thanks!

We were told always to refer to all three, even if you only refer to one of them in a small amount...
Original post by Connie
We were told always to refer to all three, even if you only refer to one of them in a small amount...

Thanks Connie :smile:
Original post by jonnyboy21
Hi guys, I'm taking the exam in June. I'm doing Tess, Captain Corelli and Metaphysical poetry. I know that these topics are always grouped together in the question. Would it be sufficient to just talk about the novels or is it recommended to discuss the novels and the poetry when doing a comparison? Thanks!

Hi i'm doing the same texts as you for the relationships section.
I would advise writing about all 3 as I think that may be a reason I lost marks in Jan as i only wrote about the novels.
For metaphysicals though - one poem I feel links in really well with both texts is 'Definition Of Love' by Marvell. It talks about Fate and how their love "can never meet".
Original post by Connie
Hmm, what I found helped MASSIVELY was to go through possible themes that might come up. So for example, for the past question on 'emotionally intense relationships', I decided to address the themes of: idealisation, lust, obsession and dependence. To come up with these themes I just figured out all the ways the texts can be compared.

So for example: with the theme of dependence, Gatsby is dependent on Daisy, FSF was dependent on Zelda (Ao4), while in 'Wintering' by Duffy she uses death imagery to show her dependence.

All in all I came up with around 35 themes/areas that my texts could be compared, and I just went through them and compared the texts with those themes in mind, and once you've done that, the questions don't seem so hard!

For the AO3 & AO4, I suggest you just learn facts that you can throw in anywhere:

FSF's obsession with Zelda - him climbing the social ladder
1920s consumerist lifestyle
Influence of other authors on FSF, such as TS Eliot
Duffy being in a lesbian relationship
Duffy wanting to make her writing universal

And then just learn some key quotes from critics that can be used in any situation! I tended to use the same ones in all my essays - for example 'Rapture owes something to fairytales' from the Telegraph can be used when talking about language, 'Maps the trajectory of a love affair' from the Times can be used in an introduction. For Gatsby, Jerry Stratton said 'we only see their actions and Carraway's interpretation' - excellent for talking about the unreliable narrator.

I hope this helps, you've still got time so don't worry!

Thanks alot! This really helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending