The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin Verse Paper

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gandalfsyoungerbro
:cool:

Thanks Gamegod,

Just one final question when you say ocr said it is a mistake where have you found this out please ?

I am grateful to you but would appreciate your source and I will go and tell the others (at school) tomorrow.

Here is the link (I found it on TSR itself, but this is the BBC News page): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13857911. Go to the very bottom paragraph for confirmation (it says "These included a multiple choice question where all the answers were incorrect").
Reply 21
Original post by gcsejitters
Hey guys,
Did anyone do section a and see that 'otium' question
the options were depression, fear, anger and over-excitement, but I'm sure it meant idleness.
All the translating websites and translations of Catullus 51 say the same.
Do you think it was one of those mistakes?

If I'm not mistaken, the question stated something along the lines of: "What is the effect of "otium" on Catullus?"

In the poem (Catullus 51) it states:

"otium, Catulle, tibi molestum est:
otio exsultas nimiumque gestis:"

Which can be translated as:

"Leisure, Catullus, is troublesome for you:
You rejoice in leisure and desire it far too eagerly"

Thus, over-excitement would be correct.

The link from the bbc website in the post above, the multiple choice question they are talking about isn't to do with the Latin paper, but is to do with a maths paper- if I'm not mistaken.

Apologies in advance if I'm incorrect.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks Gamegod

I hope schools kick up about this appalling question. As an aside I did put over-excitement and do not feel comfortable with this.

I am certainly not happy being told they say it may be the right answer.

I don't feel the question was fair for those sitting the exam it makes a mockery of all the learning and effort. The answer I gave may be said to be right but I feel the answer "depressed" is equally correct.......... The question/answers (as given) do not exemplify a knowledge of Latin.
Thank you Meee for your reply...

Another interpretation might be:

"idleness, Catullus, is troublesome for you:
You rejoice in idleness and desire it far too eagerly"

How would my answer "over-excitement" be correct?

I am embarrassed!

This OCR Latin question regarding OTIUM was muddled and I hope everyone is compensated as a result.
Reply 23
Original post by Meee.
If I'm not mistaken, the question stated something along the lines of: "What is the effect of "otium" on Catullus?"

In the poem (Catullus 51) it states:

"otium, Catulle, tibi molestum est:
otio exsultas nimiumque gestis:"

Which can be translated as:

"Leisure, Catullus, is troublesome for you:
You rejoice in leisure and desire it far too eagerly"

Thus, over-excitement would be correct.

The link from the bbc website in the post above, the multiple choice question they are talking about isn't to do with the Latin paper, but is to do with a maths paper- if I'm not mistaken.

Apologies in advance if I'm incorrect.

You may well be correct about the error reported coming from the AQA Maths paper (I wouldn't know because I don't do AQA Foundation Tier Maths GCSE but Edexcel iGCSE Higher Tier Maths).

I put over-excitement myself for similar reasons, but the fact is that OCR should have chosen slightly different wording to make the question more accessible: why not "pleasure" (which the poem would allude to more directly than "over-excitement")? In any case, I understand that I'm nit-picking here, and you're probably right that this was not the mistake in question.
Game god

You take the words right out of my mouth! I won't say any more on the matter....

I have finished exams now, Latin was the last, I hope those following this thread have done well.

Goodbye for now and good luck.
Reply 25
eeee thank you, this was so useful for this year too.
Hi,
Is there anyone who is studying the shield of Aeneas? I always lose lots of marks when there is a ten mark question based on this set text so does anyone know any useful websites which could help me to understand this better?
This is the toughest Latin exam for me, so I will need all the help that I can get.
Reply 27
I am absolutely dreading this exam.
Reply 28
Original post by MissMedicine
Hi,
Is there anyone who is studying the shield of Aeneas? I always lose lots of marks when there is a ten mark question based on this set text so does anyone know any useful websites which could help me to understand this better?
This is the toughest Latin exam for me, so I will need all the help that I can get.

I'm doing the shield of Aeneas :'( I have no useful websites though, sorry. Unfortunately, there isn't much on the Internet on verse.
Hi.
Do people have any idea what the thread of the ten mark question might be if it was related to a passage in the shield of Aeneas?
E.g. in Pliny, it's always about drama and horror.
Thanks. :smile:
In the 10 mark question in the Latin verse past paper, they ask students to include comments about the sound of words: what do they mean?
like "the alliteration of s" sounds like the sounds of the night etc
Reply 32
anyone doing Shield of Aeneas, Praying for Profit, Caesar Crosses the Rubicon and Sign from Heaven? any predictions?
Reply 33
what linguistic devices are there to look out for?
eg. emphatic position, alliteration etc
thanks
Reply 34
Original post by imyimy
what linguistic devices are there to look out for?
eg. emphatic position, alliteration etc
thanks

Anaphora - repetition with the same word
Polysyndeton - use of connectives
Asyndeton - lack of connectives
Hendiadys - two through one (i.e. bread and butter means buttered bread)
Polyptoton - repetition but through different forms on the word

Quick Reply