The Student Room Group

Why do women string men along?

There's a woman who has been stringing me along for 6 months.
She's been giving me all the signs and gestures that shes' interested, she knows it too!
I recently plucked up the courage and tried to give her my number and she just ignored me. I was left really hurt. She knows she has been giving me the gestures, the look, the gaze.. etc.

It makes me so annoyed.
I've wasted my efforts and emotions for 6 months on her for nothing. It's so evil to hurt someone like that.

Scroll to see replies

If she did, then it was mean. But maybe she didn't realise you were interested and thought she was being friendly, or maybe you misinterpreted her 'signs' ...
Woah, woah. What were these "signs", before you condemn the poor girl? It is very easy for people of either gender to give off the wrong signals, whether it's making someone think you're interested or giving the impression that you're not.
Reply 3
From my experience, you have to learn to become impassive to girls like that. *plays Jay Z on to the next one*
Reply 4
My dad told me to never trust a cold b*tch

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
just forget about her. Dont ignore her but show little interest in her. see how she likes it and the tides will soon turn
Reply 6
Why do men string women along. Why do women string women along. Why do men string men along. Why do cats string cats along. Why do dogs string dogs along.

No need for the generalising title there, really, was there? Some people string some other people along. Some people think they're being strung along when actually the other person isn't interested and they're just delusional. Did you really need to make a thread for this?
Reply 7
You waited SIX months before you tried to give her your number? Seems to me you were just friendly acquaintances. Giving a girl your number is only step 2 of the ball game..
guys do it too :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by madman13
My dad told me to never trust a cold b*tch

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. Heart of Ice.
Reply 10
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Woah, woah. What were these "signs", before you condemn the poor girl? It is very easy for people of either gender to give off the wrong signals, whether it's making someone think you're interested or giving the impression that you're not.

Here are some examples, she would look at me in fact she would make sure that I looked at her, then she would turn away. If I didn't look at her, she would look at me and stand right in front of me in the most obvious way. Then turn away, all she wanted to do was have my attention.

It's not wrong signals, she just liked getting attention. I'm not dumb, I know what girls flirting gestures are. They do it because they play with you. It's evil.
Reply 11
Original post by coatsoft
just forget about her. Dont ignore her but show little interest in her. see how she likes it and the tides will soon turn

OKay, notes taken.

thanks.
Reply 12
Original post by joker12345
If she did, then it was mean. But maybe she didn't realise you were interested and thought she was being friendly, or maybe you misinterpreted her 'signs' ...

I'm not dumb, she made it so obvious trying to get my attention. It was always hard to talk to her because she would rush off, but also she was quite abrupt. I thought it was just her nature but she would look at me to make sure I was looking at her, it became a stupid game of gaze exchange. Anyways I know the truth now, move on. But I'm still hurt by her thoughtlessness. No I'm not imagining it.
Original post by coatsoft

Exactly. And I really hate threads like this cos although girls do this, guys do this as well.

Because I'm that sort of nerdy type, my ex strung me along even tho he was dating 2 other women at the same time (I found out through a good friend, felt like a food etc), and I didn't even realise he wasn't interested in me anymore until I found out that behind my back he was calling me a 'psycho' and 'stalker' that didn't get the message??

Of course he was full of ****, I just texted him lots because I *used to* care about him, but now I can't even stand the sight of him.

He definitely strung me along!

And he did it on purpose.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not dumb, she made it so obvious trying to get my attention. It was always hard to talk to her because she would rush off, but also she was quite abrupt. I thought it was just her nature but she would look at me to make sure I was looking at her, it became a stupid game of gaze exchange. Anyways I know the truth now, move on. But I'm still hurt by her thoughtlessness. No I'm not imagining it.

She's just having a power trip.

I KNOW all about girls like her. They're nasty to nice girls like me, and they actually treat us nice girls worse than guys like you (e.g. flirt with a guy I might like on purpose etc).

My revenge was to go to the gym and get hair extentions, and look BETTER/HOTTER THAN THEM. And it worked :wink:

Source? I got all my guy friends to compare me to her and I was voted the hottest. haha:biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
Exactly. And I really hate threads like this cos although girls do this, guys do this as well.

Because I'm that sort of nerdy type, my ex strung me along even tho he was dating 2 other women at the same time (I found out through a good friend, felt like a food etc), and I didn't even realise he wasn't interested in me anymore until I found out that behind my back he was calling me a 'psycho' and 'stalker' that didn't get the message??

Of course he was full of ****, I just texted him lots because I *used to* care about him, but now I can't even stand the sight of him.

He definitely strung me along!

And he did it on purpose.

Sorry to hear that. Someone said that I was being a stalker in another forum where I posted this question. I'm not being a stalker at all, I just wanted to talk and have a conversation. I can't work with mind games so a conversation would clarify where I stood.
However now I know where I stand. Onwards. I've just got to be careful not to repeat the same damn thing in future. But I'm still never sure when women (men in your case) are just playing with your feelings, how to distinguish the genuine from the spurious. Emotional pain is as bad as physical pain.
Reply 16
Original post by Messalina
Why do men string women along. Why do women string women along. Why do men string men along. Why do cats string cats along. Why do dogs string dogs along.

Would've been better had you ended with why do cats string balls of string along, but w/e.
(edited 10 years ago)
Six months? It took you six months?

No wonder she gave up
Treat them mean and keep them keen.
I'm sorry but you haven't been strung along. If you had asked her out early and she said yes, then used you for money/emotional support, then you could have a valid claim to have been strung along.

But I'm assuming you didn't. Next time grow some balls and make your move early. If you've forgotten what yours look like I'll give you some ping pong balls to carry around in your pocket until you remember that you are a man and so should act like one.

Quick Reply