The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society

I was thinking about setting up a depression society, where people who are suffering from depression, or who are generally feeling down in the dumps can chat to others...

You may have noticed that I had already set one up, but it went wrong, as I hadn't actualy formed a thread for it...

Anyhows, I was wondering if there would be any interest for it...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hehe.
although its sounds like a recipe for disaster....its probably not.

i found yahoo health groups usefull for finding people who have been in the same situation as me. might want to look into that as well :cool:
count me in
Reply 3
Wont hearing about other people depression make you even more depressed?
Reply 4
Thanks Hollz and Mittow :smile:
Reply 5
Markus Angelsdaughter
Wont hearing about other people depression make you even more depressed?

It's no more different than the 'depression' thread.
it wont make you feel more depressed, as I'm sure every depressed eprson is aware that they are not the only ones. In contract, it will encourage people who are feeling low to encourage each other and support them, and sometimes through supporting other people it helps you.
Reply 7
Just thought I'd share that 'The Depression Society' is now a fully-fleged (spelling?) society, so feel free to join :smile:
Reply 8
I'm up for it, sweetheart. How do you join? (Sorry, I'm a complete n00b)
Reply 9
Click on the 'SOCS' link at the top of the page, and click 'join' when you find "The Depression Thread" on the list of societies :smile:

And thanks to you and for the other person who joined the society *huggles*

Edit- It's "Depression Society" not "The Depression Society"
:smile: Cool

no idea if you're going to include support for people with ED's or self harm (tho if you do i'd be happy to help with the SH side of things)

It's a good idea :smile: nice to have somewhere to go where you're not going to get judged for being depressed
xXMessedUpXx
:smile: Cool

no idea if you're going to include support for people with ED's or self harm (tho if you do i'd be happy to help with the SH side of things)

It's a good idea :smile: nice to have somewhere to go where you're not going to get judged for being depressed

I would appreciate the help :smile:

I know what you mean. I always feel really uncomfortable talking about my depression in front of people who don't have it, so I thought it would be a good idea to create a society where other sufferers could chat/moan, whatever, without feeling like they are being judged.
Hi :smile: Nice idea for a thread and soc; I'll join right now because I've had dep before and sometimes lurch back into it. I think we all here should introduce ourselves :smile: I'll do that later though because my comp is being a bit slow this evening :redface:
MrSornia
Hi :smile: Nice idea for a thread and soc; I'll join right now because I've had dep before and sometimes lurch back into it. I think we all here should introduce ourselves :smile: I'll do that later though because my comp is being a bit slow this evening :redface:

Heylo. It wont let me add you as a member, because you have joined too many societies... So if you wanted to leave a society and try again... Or you can just post in here, I don't mind :smile:

Anyhows, that's a very good idea!

Well, I'm Amy-Jane, i'm 18 and I live in Norfolk. I was diagnosed with depression a couple of months ago, although it's been going on for 3 years. I'm currently taking nti-depressants (Citalopram). I also suffer from OCD. I was diagnosed with it in December, and I've had it for 10 years. I don't take any medication for the OCD, but I'm on the waiting list for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to help with my depression and to help with my OCD.
Hey. I'd like to join, but I'm not depressed at the moment. I've been through a lot without getting depressed, but I have been there! I think I would be a good source of advice anyway...
Reply 15
sounds um...depressing...we should have a "cheer depressed people up" thread! :p:
Reply 16
I've found that when I've been depressed I just need about 4 hours in the dark, listening to some music. I usually play all of Brahms Hungarian Dances in order about 6 times over... But that's me I guess.

I think we should all have "Get rid of depression music".
Now theres a plan!

I'm willing to help out on the SI/ED side of things as well, if you need any help. xxx
Thanks guys. Any help is appreciated :smile:

As for non-depressing music... I've been told at work that my music collection is depressing, lol...

I really love listening to Savage Garden when I feel depressed... I have found Classical music to be relaxing, but because I analyse classical music pieces in music, I find that I do that, so I try to limit the amount of classical music which I listen to...

Anyhows, I think we should have some people introduce themselves, just so people can get to know each other :smile:
I'm in, generally when i'm depressed i listen to some soft music with my lights out... Soothing. :smile:

Latest