The Student Room Group

What is the greatest art form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Chillaxer
I think they are great and profound, but I can attain no focus or sense of completion with them, only frustration. At least with photography or design I could.

I get where you are coming from here. I accept the fact that I am, more than likely, not going to get a record deal or get a book published. It's more about the enjoyment for me; love any creative writing within education and can't beat sitting playing guitar and having a sing!
Reply 41
Perhaps I'm being a bit awkward here, but I don't tend to differentiate between art forms. Which sounds a bit strange now I've written it, but they all form part of this huge cohesive process in my mind and any and all of them can be used, each has equal value. It largely depends upon the context too... I also tend to find the process, the development of the work and the meaning far more interesting/significant than the form that that work takes.
Music.

You have the notes itself which can be so wide and varied and span numerous genres which can take you places. Then you have lyrics which create further detail, depth and artistic impression which offers further to the form.
I just tried to burn pictures on my toast to make something like Jesus toast. Two minor fires later and all I managed to create was a Pac-Man image on my toast.

Toast art is the more impressive art form ever.

To answer you're actual question I think a picture when interrupted correctly really does say that of a 1,000 words. I've never got into all this dance business as I'm too thick to see the meaning behind it all.
Reply 44
I think there's no greatest form of art. There are only forms that speack to you or don't. Personally I love Argentic Photography mixed with painting, it's really interesting. Poetry is great also.
Mathematics.

Umad?
Music comes a close second to the written word. Read Nabokov's 'Lolita', Evelyn Waugh's 'Brideshead Revisited' or Wilde's 'The Picture of Dorian Grey'. Stunning.
Spoken word.
Debating.
And animation!
i think all art forms when properly expressed with passion and enthusiam are the greatest. great art isnt dependant on median but on the artist.
for myself i's say my greatest art form was song but drawing comes a close second
i'm a visual artist, but what inspires the most and gets the most emotional response for me is music. though i wouldn't give up my ability to draw in exchange for musical talent, so i can't say what the 'greatest' would be.
Music and archeology
No idea - everything has its crap side. Hard to decide because there's so much crap in every art form, its hard to filter out what's worth judging.
Original post by twinlensreflex
Perhaps I'm being a bit awkward here, but I don't tend to differentiate between art forms. Which sounds a bit strange now I've written it, but they all form part of this huge cohesive process in my mind and any and all of them can be used, each has equal value. It largely depends upon the context too... I also tend to find the process, the development of the work and the meaning far more interesting/significant than the form that that work takes.

Ditto. I don't really separate it. I like painting and sketching which I usually listen to music whilst doing, and associating paintings with music. Painting and drawing is a recording of your movements, I think there was an artist who painted herself or her hit and rolled around on a sheet of Paper.

As long as you are able to create something that means something to anyone it is great.

(but if I had to choose it would probably be science because it is trying to represent and capture one of the most important subjects which is life itself.)
my **** in a cup. i guess you could call it sculpture but i believe it transcends any category and is simply art.
Reply 55
Original post by simonbellringer
Art = bellringing. We often refer to it as "The Art" (note "The" - not an art, the art!!) and it is my ideal and realistic way of expressing myself. Good for the brain and arms, social, and fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAQ6i7Hjirk

Sorry to resurrect, Lazarus-like, the festering body of a dead thread, but I stumbled across this. Do we call it the Art, Simon, or the Exercise? I've come across the phrase 'the art of change ringing,' but only in the subtitles of books by Stedman and the other bloke...Duckworth? The definite article in those doesn't mean it's thought of as the only art!
Reply 56
Personally, I love expressing myself through music and I think it is the greatest art form. I recall someone saying that music is what emotions sound like, I think they were right. But I also think we all perceive and react to art in different ways, for me it's music for someone else it may be a painting. :smile:
Reply 57
Music, because it is visceral and immediate
Original post by OurSeaBee
Sorry to resurrect, Lazarus-like, the festering body of a dead thread, but I stumbled across this. Do we call it the Art, Simon, or the Exercise? I've come across the phrase 'the art of change ringing,' but only in the subtitles of books by Stedman and the other bloke...Duckworth? The definite article in those doesn't mean it's thought of as the only art!

Why hello Robert, fancy seeing you here ;-) This was one of my earlier comments..... And a lot of them tended to be a bit daft at best :smile:
I would say that the greatest art form is something that has never been done before.

Quick Reply

Latest