The Student Room Group

University in Australia - PLEASE HELP !!!

I am seriously considering going to study my degree in Australia but my only concern is the cost of it as tuition is extremely expensive for an international student.

I was just wondering if anyone else was considering applying / has applied to a uni in australia and what the application process consisted of and the possibility of scholarships. Although any information about studying in australia will be helpful :smile:

Just want some more information really :smile:

Any advice is really appreciated.
Original post by agraye
I am seriously considering going to study my degree in Australia but my only concern is the cost of it as tuition is extremely expensive for an international student.

I was just wondering if anyone else was considering applying / has applied to a uni in australia and what the application process consisted of and the possibility of scholarships. Although any information about studying in australia will be helpful :smile:

Although I am not an international student applying to Australia, I am an Australian citizen. (Doing degree in UK.) However, feel free to PM me about any general questions about studying/living in Australia. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by agraye

Do you have an idea of where in Australia you wanted to study? Or why exactly you want to study in Australia? The reason I ask is because your motivation for going will rule in/out various unis, and for an international student funding is largely (to my knowledge) dependent on which uni you're heading for.

For example, if you want a more 'prestigious' Australian uni, you may want to consider ANU (in Canberra). If you want to go for the lifestyle/weather/beach then maybe Griffith is for you, and ANU would be out of the question (awful weather and nowhere near the ocean). If you want prestige and the beach (and city life) then Uni of Melbourne or Sydney might be good choices. I'm from Perth and went to UWA, which I loved, but Perth/UWA might not be the right fit for everyone - it's allegedly the most isolated capital city on the planet.

Funding may also depend on what you want to study. Australia's a big country (as I'm sure you know) and things very state to state, as well as between unis. As a rule though, I'm not sure that funding opportunities for an international undergrad would be great at any of the unis (but I don't know this for sure).

Once you've narrowed down what you want to study, and what you want out of your Aussie uni experience, it might be a bit easier to work out exactly what your chances of a scholarship are, and what the application process will entail. If it's anything like the process for Australian undergrads, they'll look more or less exclusively at your marks and academic achievements - but extracurriculars/volunteering may help with the scholarships.

I hope this helps a bit. If you have other questions, feel free to ask :smile:
We can help you with all apsects of selecting the best university, scholarship & funding options and how to apply to each university. Degrees Ahead has assisted 100s of students to study in Australia Jo at the Degrees Ahead team
Reply 4
Hey there I'm an international student at ACU in Sydney... this is the process I went through:smile:

most applications are free, You will need copies of your high school graduation certificate, university transcripts, passport and will also need to write a short letter of motivation

the online application link to the website: www.acu.studylink.comYou

and here is information for international scholarships: www.acu.international.com

hope this helps
Original post by Dubie
Do you have an idea of where in Australia you wanted to study? Or why exactly you want to study in Australia? The reason I ask is because your motivation for going will rule in/out various unis, and for an international student funding is largely (to my knowledge) dependent on which uni you're heading for.

For example, if you want a more 'prestigious' Australian uni, you may want to consider ANU (in Canberra). If you want to go for the lifestyle/weather/beach then maybe Griffith is for you, and ANU would be out of the question (awful weather and nowhere near the ocean). If you want prestige and the beach (and city life) then Uni of Melbourne or Sydney might be good choices. I'm from Perth and went to UWA, which I loved, but Perth/UWA might not be the right fit for everyone - it's allegedly the most isolated capital city on the planet.

Funding may also depend on what you want to study. Australia's a big country (as I'm sure you know) and things very state to state, as well as between unis. As a rule though, I'm not sure that funding opportunities for an international undergrad would be great at any of the unis (but I don't know this for sure).

Once you've narrowed down what you want to study, and what you want out of your Aussie uni experience, it might be a bit easier to work out exactly what your chances of a scholarship are, and what the application process will entail. If it's anything like the process for Australian undergrads, they'll look more or less exclusively at your marks and academic achievements - but extracurriculars/volunteering may help with the scholarships.

griffith is nowhere near the beach, just saying.

top rated universities in australia are consistently The University of Melbourne (where i go :smile: ) Australian National University, and Monash University.

although for international students, these unis are super expensive, as australian universities charge international students more money, in order to subsidise costs for local students.
Original post by Dubie

Hi i would love to study at UWA in the next 3-4years and study something like Zoology or Marine Science. Im from the uk, so would have to move out there. Any suggestions on how to make applying to UWA as an international student a bit easier or any helpful info you could give me? Or costs even??? Thanks!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Hello,
I am looking at going to uni in Australia, either at Bond (offers good scholarships providing you are a high achiever, looks very nice too), Charles Darwin Uni (offers the best scholarships - 50% off tuition fees!!! and others, nice hot climate but no swimming in the sea unless you have a death wish) and lastly Edith Cowan Uni (no scholarships for us international students, but a very nice university and lovely location). I am currently waiting for my exams to finish and get my results and then fingers crossed if I get the grades apply.

For costs, I am looking at doing IT so not sure how much difference in price there is to those you want to do but here are the costs:

Bond costs anywhere between £54k - £88k
CDU costs between £41k - £57k
ECU costs around £65k

These include a return flight for every year of the course (Bond courses are mainly 2 years), food, health insurance for the required amount of time and accommodation at the uni's halls.

Anyway I would recommend using Degrees Ahead, they are very helpful and can sort everything out for you.

Elliot :smile:
Original post by agraye

I'm in a similar position i guess! I'm an aussie citizen but I've lived in the UK all my life and I'm seriously considering applying to Australia for uni. The only problem is that my careers adviser isn't going to help me one bit because no one has ever gone to australia from our school! :frown:

I know from a trip out there last year a little bit about how it all works... Does anyone know if it's possible to apply to more than one state? ie could i apply to sydney and monash at the same time?

I liked monash but people say that the location is really annoying because it's so far away from the city centre - but then apparently melbourne uni is really fast-paced and competitive and I think i'd like to be in a smaller city. Sydney was nice too but it's such a big city i'd be kinda worried about crime and things like that... and everyone says canberra is boring :tongue:

anybody got recommendations for a city uni that's not so big?

ta :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lilmisssunshine13
I'm in a similar position i guess! I'm an aussie citizen but I've lived in the UK all my life and I'm seriously considering applying to Australia for uni. The only problem is that my careers adviser isn't going to help me one bit because no one has ever gone to australia from our school! :frown:

I know from a trip out there last year a little bit about how it all works... Does anyone know if it's possible to apply to more than one state? ie could i apply to sydney and monash at the same time?

I liked monash but people say that the location is really annoying because it's so far away from the city centre - but then apparently melbourne uni is really fast-paced and competitive and I think i'd like to be in a smaller city. Sydney was nice too but it's such a big city i'd be kinda worried about crime and things like that... and everyone says canberra is boring :tongue:

I know a few people who study in Adelaide, its a really nice size city, not too big but not too small. They have 3 Universities there: Adelaide University, Flinders University and University of South Australia. Adelaide University has the best reputation and its centrally located but it really depends on what you want to study.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10

Melbourne as a city is not that big or stressful. It is incredibly liveable, often voted the most liveable city (in the world or in Australia, I forget). Sydney is quite a bit bigger. Melbourne Uni is close to the centre but nicely so - it's still quite spread out and it's not smack bang in the middle or anything. Just nicely on the skirts of the CBD. So it's close to so many great things in the city. Monash is sort of out of the way, a bit far away from anything and would be a pain to actually get places to do stuff.
Reply 11

Seriously, there's NOTHING in Canberra except politicians. Depending on where you live Monash is a nightmare to get to due to lack of direct public transport to the main Clayton campus, but if you're studying at the Caufield campus, then it's right opposite the train station so that's ok. That campus is mainly for business degrees, the rest of it would be in Clayton. Also, it looks absolutely ugly. Don't even think of driving there since parking is a nightmare. Limited parking for a whole load of student and staff.

Personally, I'd pick Melbourne Uni. OTOH, I may be bias since I did 3 degrees there (to be fair, I also did a PostgradDip at Monash so I'm not just talking nonsense about Monash). Melbourne has great location, great looking campus, everything is centrally located. Melbourne really isn't that big a city. I find it to be just right, Sydney's too big, and Adelaide's waaaaay too small and gets crazy heatwave in summer. Melbourne does too, but they tend to be milder than Adelaide (over 3 weeks straight of 40C-45C a few years ago).

And yes, you can apply all over the country if you want and to multiple/all of the unis in each state if you want to. And honestly, it really depends on what subject you want to do. Monash is good with business/accounting subjects and they're slightly more industry focused than Melbourne, which is much better in the sciences and medical field, and they tend to be a bit more traditional (some people say snobbish) and if you want to do LLB, then it's Monash since Melbourne changed law to a posgrad degree like the US and you'll have to do an *insanely* expensive JD if you want to do law in Melbourne.

Basically, the top 3 unis in the country are Melbourne Uni, ANU, and Sydney Uni. Melb and ANU have been battling for the top spot for the last 5-6 years in international rankings. Monash would come in at 4th or 5th, with University of Queensland.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Reply 12
As an alternative, you could do an exchange from a UK university. You'd pay the same fees as here and go for a year.

Going to Oz is a great experience, but it really depends what you want out of university life.
I'm an Aussie citizen too :smile: and I'm planing on applying for med in aus everywhere that offers it basically so if u have any questions ask away :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by zaraphillips
I'm an Aussie citizen too :smile: and I'm planing on applying for med in aus everywhere that offers it basically so if u have any questions ask away :smile:

Dont suppose you know anything about the commonwealth program for NZ applicants do you?:P
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Although I am not an international student applying to Australia, I am an Australian citizen. (Doing degree in UK.) However, feel free to PM me about any general questions about studying/living in Australia. :smile:

I wish to come to Australia.I have some question.Can you help me?:smile::smile:
Reply 16
Original post by geniechua
Seriously, there's NOTHING in Canberra except politicians.

Seriously, people need to stop hating on Canberra. It might not be as big or exciting as Sydney or Melbourne, the weather is worse (Europeans would still regard winter temperatures of rarely under 10°C as pretty much bearable) and it's not at the beach. That's it. Canberra has a population of >360,000 who are NOT all politicians or civil servants and ANU alone has 18,000 students.

How can anyone possibly believe that a place where 18,000 students live can be boring? There's always parties, there are clubs, bars and pubs in civic. Plus, Canberra got heaps of cultural stuff. The National Gallery, the War Memorial, the National Museum (which is pretty awesome and free, btw.) etc., ANU's campus is situated right next to a nature reserve full of kangaroos (yeah, I know, nothing special for Aussies but pretty exciting for international students).
Original post by cl_steele
Dont suppose you know anything about the commonwealth program for NZ applicants do you?:P

NZ applicants are treated the same as Australians, so they can get commonwealth supported places with lower fees that can be deferred (if that's what you're asking).

Quick Reply

Latest