The Student Room Group

Make-up ideas, colours, techniques

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Hi everyone, as I have struggled with eyeliner running and smearing all around my eyes (panda alert!) I thought I would share my review I did on the Chanel stylo yeux waterproof eyeliner. I know it is Chanel so it is not the cheapest out there but it is so worth it, I promise!

If you check out my blog you will see pictures of how it looked after a long day out and you can also see where you can purchase it etc.

http://newyorkglamourblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/chanel-waterproof-eyeliner.html

Make sure to follow my blog and check out the other reviews if you enjoy and also tell your friends!

Follow me on twitter: @NewYorkGlamBlog

Helena x
For all those who are having problems with smudging eyeliner try a gel liner. It works really well and can do the same thing as a liquid eyeliner giving a strong line but you can still smudge it like a pencil. It holds to the shape you give it and will stick all day.
Gel liner used to be something you could only really get from high end brands but recently 'drugstore' brands have been making them too. I know rimmel does one and I think maybelline does too! :smile:

I'm a beauty blogger so I do quite a bit with makeup on a regular basis. If you want any advice feel free to message me.
Thank you for this post! now i know how to put them properly. the tutorial is also very helpful!
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
The mascara was the key thing I noticed in all of the pics. Maybe i should try brown mascara so it's not so dark and thick, esp since I have small eyes anyway. It's the flawless glossy look that I love which comes from the foundation. What's the difference between chiseling and highlighting?! Chiseled is what i'm going for (i think) because I wear my hair middle parted so it's important to have my face look symmetrical as crazy as that sounds..like i always have to make sure my eyebrows are neat and stuff.
Thank you for going to the effort!!

Go to Bobbi Brown, they do free makeup lesson and you're not obligated to buy anything unless you choose too. A makeup artist will consult you on how to achieve the look you want if you want purchase the products. If not you can use what you learned to cheaper products. All well to Google but I think you need practical help. Bodyshop does the same and MAC does it for £30 which you can claim back on products.
I also love Urban Decay Naked Palette! It is so sweet. It even goes well with my permanent make-up.
I was going to a charity ball a couple of months ago and I went to a makeup counter in boots and they did my eye makeup for me :biggrin:
best way to get free beauty treatment :smile:
Reply 246
Those talking about the UD NAKED palettes.. I have number 1 and Basics, what is naked 2 like? :O
Bought my first make-up products today! Had a consultation with a lovely lady at the no.7 counter in Boots and was given a make-over and lots of great advice. Would recommend it to anyone who looks at make-up and doesn't know where to begin (that was certainly me eight hours ago).
Had fun reading through this thread so thanks :smile: Beautiful nails and creative minds abundant. Personally now trying to decide what Rimmel nail polishes to get once my nails have grown a bit more.
How to make the skin glowing without using any costly branded beauty products and keep the skin soft and smooth. Any tips will be appreciated.
Reply 249
Original post by Kittily
Those talking about the UD NAKED palettes.. I have number 1 and Basics, what is naked 2 like? :O

I've got the original one and the naked 2, and I think the biggest and most important difference is that shades in naked 2 is a lot more cold. The colors are more taupe, and I like the naked 2 better than the first one mostly because I like taupe. Still like and use the first one though!
I don't use kohl eyeliner, but I want a black eyeliner that will look quite soft underneath my eyes for a everyday wear that won't end up down my face. Any suggestions?
Original post by Mega Nerd
I don't use kohl eyeliner, but I want a black eyeliner that will look quite soft underneath my eyes for a everyday wear that won't end up down my face. Any suggestions?

If you want a soft look try using black or a dark coloured eyeshadow under the eye applied with a flat eyeshadow brush, it looks lovely and soft and the bonus is because its a powder it doesn't run at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm curious as to what kind of brushes people use because most of the big brands are US based or from certain brands which charge extortionate prices, are there any decently-priced brushed that we can get that are a good quality? :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice?

I want to find a really good daily skin care, cleanser, scrub, toner, moisturiser, preferably if the cleanser and toner are an all in one...

My skin I would say is combination/dry never oily, few blackheads but usually I get blocked pores on my forehead, they aren't spots but just bumps...

If anyone has any ideas of a brand or line of skincare that would suit my skin?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by evacampbell
How to make the skin glowing without using any costly branded beauty products and keep the skin soft and smooth. Any tips will be appreciated.

Moisturise and exfoliate. Most products are fine, you don't have to spend a lot of money to get soft and smooth skin.
Original post by v0lcanicash
I'm curious as to what kind of brushes people use because most of the big brands are US based or from certain brands which charge extortionate prices, are there any decently-priced brushed that we can get that are a good quality? :smile:

Thanks!

Real Techniques are great quality and not too expensive. They have rave reviews online :smile: I use the Expert Face Brush, it cost under £10 and it works really well for foundation and blusher.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by evacampbell

Original post by OliviaTurner
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice?

I want to find a really good daily skin care, cleanser, scrub, toner, moisturiser, preferably if the cleanser and toner are an all in one...

My skin I would say is combination/dry never oily, few blackheads but usually I get blocked pores on my forehead, they aren't spots but just bumps...

If anyone has any ideas of a brand or line of skincare that would suit my skin?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey ,

i hardly ever use products but i would say for a soft feeling skin i use Nivea cream wash ( apply for about 3 mins) wash off with water - great for creating a nice base to apply some makeup.
My mother introduced me to using Keals products which are great but i felt none of products i tested had any lingering result. I encompassed more natural products in my new regime to have more clearer skin and never looked back lol
for a toner - use lemon, green tea and rose water ! this is awesome and can last up to a week of making it .
for under eyes -just place cold green tea bags on your eyes and they do an amazing job too.
scrubs are easier to make - i use some sugar/caster sugar and lemon for a simple quick exfoliater. Other wise using oats + yogurt is amazing for more sensitive skin and a more gentle scrub !!
Warning !! lemon can be quite harsh , so diltue the juice , bu is great for drying up spots ,closing the pores and cleaning the skin.
you also mentioned pores - try biore face and nose strips they are amazing !!
as for creams - i use clinique moisture surge - should be around 30 pounds but is a amazing product:smile:

probably not the advice you were looking for but i hope it helps !!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kittily

Like the original palette, this is a warm-toned neutral outlay of shades. I’m really not sure why they went with warmer shades (over neutral or cool) when Naked 1 encompassed mostly warm-toned shades already. I know that several readers with cooler complexions felt like Naked 1 wasn’t as flattering on them.
Half-Baked is a repeat, Bootycall is just warmer than Virgin, Snakebite is similar to Smog (and exactly the same as Darkhorse + Smog together), Suspect is just a touch less warm than Sidecar, YDK is quite close to both Sidecar and Toasted, and Busted is almost the same as Hustle. The shades that didn’t have comparable shades already in Naked 1 were Foxy, Chopper, Tease, Pistol, Verve, and Blackout; that’s five of twelve.
Original post by Retroandbeyond
hey ,

i hardly ever use products but i would say for a soft feeling skin i use Nivea cream wash ( apply for about 3 mins) wash off with water - great for creating a nice base to apply some makeup.
My mother introduced me to using Keals products which are great but i felt none of products i tested had any lingering result. I encompassed more natural products in my new regime to have more clearer skin and never looked back lol
for a toner - use lemon, green tea and rose water ! this is awesome and can last up to a week of making it .
for under eyes -just place cold green tea bags on your eyes and they do an amazing job too.
scrubs are easier to make - i use some sugar/caster sugar and lemon for a simple quick exfoliater. Other wise using oats + yogurt is amazing for more sensitive skin and a more gentle scrub !!
Warning !! lemon can be quite harsh , so diltue the juice , bu is great for drying up spots ,closing the pores and cleaning the skin.
you also mentioned pores - try biore face and nose strips they are amazing !!
as for creams - i use clinique moisture surge - should be around 30 pounds but is a amazing product:smile:

probably not the advice you were looking for but i hope it helps !!

Thanks so much!! I'm really going to try out more of the natural stuff! I've been so into the makeup side of things that I am just trying to expand my knowledge for information on my website and just try something new!! Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OliviaTurner
Thanks so much!! I'm really going to try out more of the natural stuff! I've been so into the makeup side of things that I am just trying to expand my knowledge for information on my website and just try something new!! Thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha no problem , are you doing a blog ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending