The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ollexandra
Sure there are EU students, I am from Poland for instance :smile: Where are you from?

I can't tell you my stats just yet. I'm an IB Diploma student and they're giving us our predicted grades sth around September / October, so I won't know till then.
But from what I can predict, I would say 37 overall with 6,7,7 HLs Chem, Bio, English.

And my UKCAT is coming in four days, so I will tell you then

Oh cool!

Good luck with your UKCAT :smile:
Original post by letsbehonest
Where are you from? :biggrin:

Sure there are EU students, I am from Poland for instance :smile: Where are you from?

Finland :biggrin:
Stats

GCSE- 7A*(inc 3 sciences math and eng Lang) 2A

AS- AAAA (bio chem maths psychology)

UKCAT- 682.5 band 1

What do people think?

Just slightly worried that my ukcat this year will be like getting an average of 640 in 2013, due to the very high scores I keep seeing posted on here
Original post by science-oliver
Stats

UKCAT- 682.5 band 1

What do people think?

Just slightly worried that my ukcat this year will be like getting an average of 640 in 2013, due to the very high scores I keep seeing posted on here

I think it should be okay. Our stats are pretty similar!

Where else are you applying?
Stats

UKCAT- 682.5 band 1

What do people think?

remember that tsr isn't an accurate representation of scores in the ukcat; and people with low scores are going to be less likely to post theirs.
I think your score should be competitive enough (it's more than i got in my ukcat 2 years ago anyway!)
I think it should be okay. Our stats are pretty similar!

Where else are you applying?

I know aberdeen put more weighting on the academics than the UKCAT, but does academics mean GCSEs ASs or A2 predictions? Or a mixture?

And do you think I've got a good shot at gaining an interview at aberdeen?

And my defo choices are cardiff and birmingham

My last two choices are between a few, which include
Aberdeen
Manchester
Barts
QUB
St Andrews
:smile:
I know aberdeen put more weighting on the academics than the UKCAT, but does academics mean GCSEs ASs or A2 predictions? Or a mixture?

Aberdeen
Manchester
Barts
QUB
St Andrews

I'm not sure! I will email admissions about the academics. Your academics are really good both at GCSE and AS, so you shouldn't really worry. Seems like a strong application.
I'm not sure! I will email admissions about the academics. Your academics are really good both at GCSE and AS, so you shouldn't really worry. Seems like a strong application.

I've just seen your academics as well! We have got fairly similar academics and ukcat! Your academics and ukcat are really good too! Have you got any choices set in stone yet? :smile:
Reply 28

Aberdeen
Manchester
Barts
QUB
St Andrews

I think QUB would be a good choice for you on getting an interview :smile: and for Aberdeen, you got a nice set of academics and UKCAT, you should be fine.
I've just seen your academics as well! We have got fairly similar academics and ukcat! Your academics and ukcat are really good too! Have you got any choices set in stone yet? :smile:

Manchester and Brighton.

Not 100% sure but maybe UEA
Reply 30
What exactly is the medicine interview at aberdeen like? Do you get asked a lot of sciency questions? If so what science qs are asked? :smile:
Reply 31
GCSE:

English Language: C (I know I've limited my options here!)
Mathematics: A*
Core Science: B
Science A: A
Additional Science: A*
Business Studies: A*
Economics: A
Religious Studies: A*
Applied ICT Double Award: A A
English Literature: A
PSE Short course: A
Short course Welsh: B

A2: AAA (achieved in Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry), Welsh Bacc: PASS

UKCAT: 647.5 Average

VR: 450
QR: 650
AR: 650
DA: 840

How does this look for Aberdeen? Try not to laugh!

Reply 32
Original post by SiMan
GCSE:

English Language: C (I know I've limited my options here!)
Mathematics: A*
Core Science: B
Science A: A
Additional Science: A*
Business Studies: A*
Economics: A
Religious Studies: A*
Applied ICT Double Award: A A
English Literature: A
PSE Short course: A
Short course Welsh: B

A2: AAA (achieved in Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry), Welsh Bacc: PASS

UKCAT: 647.5 Average

VR: 450
QR: 650
AR: 650
DA: 840

How does this look for Aberdeen? Try not to laugh!

Those are good grades mate, even with the English one you meet the requirements, don't let that 1 C spoilt the rest of your application and besides you have the grades! If you like the uni then I say go for it
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
I would like to know that as well , but for some reason people avoid responding my questions about this topic as well . You got any answears ?
Reply 34
As far as I know sciency questions only tend to appear in Oxbridge interviews as their courses are more scientific and academic than most other med schools. Aberdeen run MMI interviews, they'll be interested in observing how you handle yourself in various situations involving patients, your communication skills and motivation for a career in medicine.

They actually mention this on their site:

Given that the pre-interview scoring system selects candidates who appear to have sufficient academic potential, the interview is not intended to

Test academic knowledge
Include questions directly related to the school curriculum.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/smd/medicine/interview.php
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey guys, I'm a final year at Aberdeen so let me know if you have any questions I can answer :smile:

Did any of you make it to the Open Day on Tuesday?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Hey guys, I'm a final year at Aberdeen so let me know if you have any questions I can answer :smile:

Did any of you make it to the Open Day on Tuesday?

What's the accommodation like?

Do all the medics live together in the first year?

Are there lots of people from England or is it mainly Scottish?

What's the course structure like? I was looking through their website but can't seem to find anything.

What is the night life in Aberdeen like?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the accommodation like?

Do all the medics live together in the first year?

Are there lots of people from England or is it mainly Scottish?

What's the course structure like? I was looking through their website but can't seem to find anything.

What is the night life in Aberdeen like?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Accommodation for freshers is usually at Hillhead or on the Kings campus. They're pretty equidistant from Foresterhill. Some of the halls at Hillhead are either pretty new (NCC) or refurbished (Fyfe, Wavell), the others are basic but nice enough. I lived at Hector Boece which was the most basic and thought it was fine!

You can request to stay with other medics or not.

There are lots of Scots but a reasonable enough number of English people :smile: After a while you don't really notice where people are from.

It's on the website pretty clearly somewhere - sorry, can't link on my phone! I can't be completely certain because I'm on the old curriculum, but the gist is that you do basic sciences in the first term, then start on the systems of the body by covering anatomy, physiology and pathology for each, as well as relevant clinical skills. Anatomy is by prosecution. You get ward exposure pretty early on. Community course is a sociology, health economics, patient viewpoint type course that takes place in GP surgeries over the first few years. Medical humanities is also integrated into teaching throughout several years. From fourth year you leave the lecture theatre behind and move to the hospital full time, with small group tutorials, rotating round various specialities. Fifth year is an apprenticeship year learning how to be an FY1, including your elective placement.

It's pretty varied - you'll find something to suit most people :smile:
I don't know whether my parents are willing to take me to an open day there because of how far it is, so I may have to apply here blind, is this really disadvantageous?
I don't know whether my parents are willing to take me to an open day there because of how far it is, so I may have to apply here blind, is this really disadvantageous?

You've already missed the medicine open day :tongue: It's not an issue, there are tours on interview day to look around. You just missed out on an opportunity to speak to admissions directly and play with all our cool clinical skills kit.

Quick Reply

Latest