The Student Room Group

A2 History Edexcel Unit 4 coursework USA help???

Hi peeps I'm currently doing my coursework on USA. I have chosen to do it on Slavery. I was wondering if anyone else has done this topic for coursework also and can probabaly recomend some useful sites books or share some guidlines.

My Part A question is "What in your view was the short-term significance of the publication of the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852) on the abolitionist campaign in the United States.

Part B: "Assess the significance of the treatment of African American's on the divisions between the Northern and Southern states of the US in the period 1815-1917.

I have gathered a handful of sources but I need more for my part A enquiry can anyone help???
Reply 1
I just posted this on a different thread, but I did this last year, and although I didn't do your topic I can help with general structure. This, http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20ER/6HI04_01_pef_20110817.pdf is the examiners report from 2011. It has sample essays (although they won't be on your topic) but I found them really helpful (well, the top band answers at least) in showing me how to incorporate the sources into my essay.
In terms of reading, do you have access to any online journals? JSTOR worked pretty well for me, and it might be possible to set it up through your school. Failing that, see if you can access any newspaper articles. I'm not sure about any American ones, but The Times have online archives which are free if you have a library card - maybe there's an American one with a similar setup?
Sorry this isn't super helpful, but if you have any specific questions on the essay structure then feel free to PM me.
Reply 2
Original post by mondegreen
I just posted this on a different thread, but I did this last year, and although I didn't do your topic I can help with general structure. This, http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20ER/6HI04_01_pef_20110817.pdf is the examiners report from 2011. It has sample essays (although they won't be on your topic) but I found them really helpful (well, the top band answers at least) in showing me how to incorporate the sources into my essay.
In terms of reading, do you have access to any online journals? JSTOR worked pretty well for me, and it might be possible to set it up through your school. Failing that, see if you can access any newspaper articles. I'm not sure about any American ones, but The Times have online archives which are free if you have a library card - maybe there's an American one with a similar setup?
Sorry this isn't super helpful, but if you have any specific questions on the essay structure then feel free to PM me.

Thanks I just need to find sources on Part a btw did you do slavery for coureswork also if you did is it possible if u can email me your essay even if they were a diif toic so that I can sue it as a guideline?
Reply 3
Original post by ikz94
Thanks I just need to find sources on Part a btw did you do slavery for coureswork also if you did is it possible if u can email me your essay even if they were a diif toic so that I can sue it as a guideline?

I didn't do my coursework on slavery, I did it on C19/20th Anglo-Indian relations. So yeah, don't mind sending you my essay (not exactly like you can plagerise it or anything!) And I remember how helpful it was seeing how someone incorporated sources into their argument. I just need to find the right memory stick (might take a few days - be warned!)
Reply 4
Original post by mondegreen
I didn't do my coursework on slavery, I did it on C19/20th Anglo-Indian relations. So yeah, don't mind sending you my essay (not exactly like you can plagerise it or anything!) And I remember how helpful it was seeing how someone incorporated sources into their argument. I just need to find the right memory stick (might take a few days - be warned!)

One you've found it PM me, I'll send you my email.
Reply 5
I am studying History privately and was just wondering how to go about this coursework component? If I choose C2 for Unit 3, how do I go about choosing a topic for Unit 4?

Quick Reply